Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: I'm all ready to buy my New Mac, then...?!

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Chris: Did you get black or white? I know the black costs more, and I think I'm willing to pay the price for the MacBook. Also, did you get 1GB of RAM or 2GB of RAM? I was thinking that I could save money if I ordered the MacBook with 512MB of RAM and then went to TransInternational and purchased 2GB of RAM. I don't know what you Mac users recommend when it comes to buying RAM and whether or not it's better to get from Apple or elsewhere. I'm not sure if you buy the RAM elsewhere that it would void your warranty.
    I got the black one. You can save $50 by customising the white one by upping the HD to 120GB. In hindsight I wish I got the white (but my bro-in-law picked it up in LA so I had to go pre-configured) because the black has a matte finish which highlights oily residue!

The black has 1GB RAM, which feels very snappy. The RAM is user-upgradeable and won't void your warranty (as per the manual). Even the HD is user upgradeable. Just remember, RAM needs to be installed in pairs to double its through-put - which is vital for the shared VRAM.

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Is the Mac's built-in mic not sufficient?
    The built-in mic is nowhere near sufficient. It's great for iChat and that's about it. The biggest hurdle is that your monitor (where the mic is built in) is simply too far, so built-in mics have their input volume cranked up to compensate. Add to that the ambient noise of hard-disks and CPU fans...

For the best dictation experience head-sets are recommended. Their strength is that the mic remains at a fixed distance from your mouth so the input volume never fluctuates.

I've attached a zip archive of my iMac's built-in mic versus the MicFlex - QuickTime is needed to play the files. You'll hear what I mean instantly.

Chris.
    Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

PN, the Apple salesman at MicroCenter say they will put in other memory than Apples memory and it works fine and is cheaper. I can't remember the name, but they know their stuff very well. I can find out what it is if you want.

I sent you a message on Yahoo, did you get it? thx

--------------

Cspanos, or anyone, have you heard anything about how bluetooth works w voice?

----------------
    By Chick: To really get the best and accurate comparison, shouldn't the Apple guy run Parallel on the Mac you plan to buy? ie. on Mac Mini, not the iMac; PLUS run the OS you want to use - ie. XP Pro, since it requires much more memory than Win 98. Additionally, the DNS will use up a lot of resources, so need to consider that, with the computer running, per RAM (and hard drive as well). This may help you to assess if you need to upgrade Ram, and how much per your program needs.
    We were just looking at the iMac since it was the machine that had Parallels running. Linux was one of the OS running, he was just showing examples..... Per the RAM issue, that is why I'm waiting because I think Apple will be releasing a new Mac mini capable of more RAM when the new OS comes out. If not, then will re evaluate what needs are.

I need to run Parallels due to certain things I need to use because of my job, if I switch over to Apple completely. I've allready got the software, several different headsets, DNS, and copy of XP, so no extra expense. I'm not bound by "having" to use DNS, but I do appreciate the ease in dictation and with proper knowledge, feel the transition will be nice. I look forward to something different. My desktop at home is at its last leg!!

I'm def not rushing to spend $, but a hole is burning in my pocket to get my fingers on a new system because I'm having so much trouble with my desktop and can no longer get system things it needs to fix it, i.e re-do the system! My friend is going to buy my laptop also. Hope this helps make sense?

RE: mic info - Thanks. I shoulda thunk of that. I tried dictation software years ago (on Windows XP Pro) and had issues getting the headset mic in the right spot next to my mouth, so while Mac's built-in mic works fine with iChat, I should have realized it probably won't work for dictation. I eventually I felt I was more efficient using the keyboard instead of dictation software.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    PN, the Apple salesman at MicroCenter say they will put in other memory than Apples memory and it works fine and is cheaper. I can't remember the name, but they know their stuff very well. I can find out what it is if you want.
    I sent you a message on Yahoo, did you get it? thx
    Hi Liz!

I haven't checked my Yahoo in a few weeks but I will look at it later today. Sorry for the late reply. I would wait for Bluetooth 2 to roll out. In the meantime, take a look at this thread on the Bluetooth headsets and Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    Most bluetooth headsets are designed for mobile use, so their audio quality isn't really good enough for DNS (the boom isn't usually long enough to get a crystal clear signal). I have a bluetooth headset that I use with Skype. It's great for that use, but it's quality is nothing like the MicFlex.

Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by cspanos
    Most bluetooth headsets are designed for mobile use, so their audio quality isn't really good enough for DNS (the boom isn't usually long enough to get a crystal clear signal). I have a bluetooth headset that I use with Skype. It's great for that use, but it's quality is nothing like the MicFlex.

Chris.
    The cheaper ones, for sure. However there are a number of bluetooth headsets out there that work very well with Dragon. I use the BlueParrott TalkPro B1000-GTX and have had no problems (other than it was outrageously expensive). It works extremely well with both Dragon and my ECU software (the ECU, not Dragon, being the reason I needed such a high end one with a long range). But there are less expensive options that would work just as well for most people. I believe Nuance has a list somewhere on their website of the bluetooth headsets they recommend and have approved for use with DNS 9. If a person sticks to one of those, they should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by PN
    Hi Liz!

I haven't checked my Yahoo in a few weeks but I will look at it later today. Sorry for the late reply. I would wait for Bluetooth 2 to roll out. In the meantime, take a look at this thread on the Bluetooth headsets and Dragon NaturallySpeaking.
    I have bluetooth 2, I thought. They told me its the latest technology when I got my new phone plan in Dec, it had just come out apparently .
    This is wat I use for mobile:
    http://www.store.motorola.com/mot/en...oductID=98769H

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    The cheaper ones, for sure. However there are a number of bluetooth headsets out there that work very well with Dragon. I use the BlueParrott TalkPro B1000-GTX and have had no problems (other than it was outrageously expensive). It works extremely well with both Dragon and my ECU software (the ECU, not Dragon, being the reason I needed such a high end one with a long range). But there are less expensive options that would work just as well for most people. I believe Nuance has a list somewhere on their website of the bluetooth headsets they recommend and have approved for use with DNS 9. If a person sticks to one of those, they should be fine.
    I like VXI. Sounds like this may be one of the better ones. Not wireless, but I swear by my Talk Pro and Dragon 8. Together with these two, my recognition is about 98%. So I'm glad to hear yours works well-

believe it or not, the price has come down in these a couple hundred dollars in 2 years.

http://support.nuance.com/compatibility/default.asp

Hi Liz,

It sounds like you have the latest and greatest Bluetooth 2.0 telephone. However, I do not think that the BlueParrott TalkPro B1000-GTX is Bluetooth 2.0. I looked at the specs and I could not get an answer, along with calling a distributor/vendor. I hope to have the facts shortly, unless one of our members chimes in.