Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm all ready to buy my New Mac, then...?!

Blog Entries

I'm all ready to buy my New Mac, then...?!

I'm all ready to buy my New Mac, then... I realize Dragon NaturallySpeaking does not run on Macs. What do you quad MacLovers do for voice recognition?!

Has anybody tried running Windows XP on the new Macs? Wondering if that would work to run DNS?

THANKS!
    "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
    Isaiah 40:29-31

OS/X has built-in voice recognition.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

or you could run bootcamp on your mac and install xp on it then use dragon.

I have heard it suggested many times to run windows on the Mac to use DNS, but I kind of miss the point of having a Mac if this is the intention. Assuming most of the apps used you would want to also run DNS.

Surf, i've been looking at Mac's, which one you getting?

If you are getting 2 GB of RAM, Apple's Boot Camp with Windows XP will be more than enough memory for Dragon NaturallySpeaking. I would also take a look at Parallels with a new feature, called Coherence mode which will allow you to run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side. I am waiting for Leopard and I hope it has good SR.

If you're gonna run Win apps... Buy a bloody pc!

I'm truely amazed at how well Mac's marketing has worked, I'm also amazed they haven't been sued.

I am waiting for Leopard and I hope it has good SR.
    Anyone know anything more than the release date as "Spring"?

I was talking to the APPLE guys in Micro Center store here and he was controlling everything with the built in Voice in the iMac with a LOT of background noise, n no headset. I'm dying to see Leopard (he said it is best to wait) ........I was so impressed....... W/ everything.

My Desktop is at the end of its "tic toc" and I may go iMAC.......the big switch!

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    I'm truely amazed at how well Mac's marketing has worked, I'm also amazed they haven't been sued.
    Actually, Apple hasn't really marketed the Mac as a machine that can run Windows. It's mainly word-of-mouth (blogs, etc) and the computer news media. Yes, Apple does have the Bootcamp app (still in beta) that allows you to partition your hard drive and then install Windows, allowing you to boot the machine in MacOS mode or Windows mode, but I can't think of one ad or commercial that markets the Mac as a machine that can also run Windows.

Sued? There's nothing illegal about it, as long as the owner of the Mac buys a legal copy of Windows. The Windows OS is not licensed to specific hardware, so why shouldn't Apple be allowed to sell a machine that can run Windows? Just because Apple sells those machines with a competitive OS already installed? Silly. I don't hear anyone crying foul that a PC can run Linux, for example (a Mac can run that too, btw ).

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    If you're gonna run Win apps... Buy a bloody pc!
    In the case of buying a new computer and wanting to run Dragon all the time, I'd agree (the Mac's voice recognition isn't for dictating text like Dragon) but I wouldn't say, across the board, "buy a PC if you're going to run Windows apps". A big reason someone would buy a Mac and also run Windows on it is cost (as I've said before). If someone wants a Mac but also needs to run Windows on occasion for work or something, then it is a lot cheaper to buy a Mac and then buy and install a copy of Windows for a couple hundred bucks than to buy both a new Mac and a new PC. That could be a difference of a couple grand. A good friend of mine is a graphic artist who recently did just that; he bought a new iMac and bought/installed Windows because he needed both for work (primarily Mac) and wanted to replace the aging Mac and the aging PC he had. Now he has "both" in one new machine and didn't need to shell out another $2000 for a comparably equipped PC. It makes a lot of sense to me.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 02-18-2007 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    Anyone know anything more than the release date as "Spring"?
    No, but I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbv
    My Desktop is at the end of its "tic toc" and I may go iMAC.......the big switch!
    Woohoo!