Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gel Pads?

Question Gel Pads?

While we were at the hospital getting Bill's butt sore debrided the nurses showed me one of these : http://www.arthritissupplies.com/sit...uct/CAC%205300 Has anyone used these ... are they worth the money ... would they be helpful??? Could you use it in bed under your butt and would it be effective? How about under your feet/ankles?

Obieone
    I think I know the answer but just thought I'd ask because I've not seen them discussed here before !
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Obi, they're the same stuff some wheelchair cushions are made of; and as with everything, there are +'s and -'s! I'd check on Roho - they make a bed overlay, and they also have a new foot cushion/pad whatever! that works great in taking all the pressure of all parts of the foot while sitting up in the chair.

Chad had one of those for his chair and it just made him hot. It might work if it was under the sheets, under a bedpad too maybe? If you try it, let me know!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

My son used one for a while. When helping him turn at night we noticed red areas on his hips. He said it was like sleeping on a cold piece of meat!! We tried a cover over top- still wouldn't warm up. In fact- he did a lot of sweating. We bought him a mattres overlay from Costco. It's been GREAT and no more red areas and a lot less sweating. One more thing - the gel pad would always make its way down hanging off the bed . I was always having to pull it up and it's heavy.
    Hope this helps!

Gel is not a very good pressure reduction material for beds. Good quality foam (either memory foam or high density foam) or air-filled mattresses or overlays are better. Gel is 1) very heavy, 2) very cold...it sucks the heat right out of your body, 3) fairly uncomfortable to lay on, 4) not as effective in pressure reduction as other materials, and 5) can be very difficult to move on if you can turn/transfer independently.

If anyone here has been on a RIK mattress and liked it, and did not get skin breakdown while on it, I would like to know about it. We refuse to use them due to all the problems we have had. The DOD uses them a lot, and virtually all their new injury patients that have come to us have had bad sacral pressure ulcers already.

(KLD)

Obie (you can get stomped by Moby ... oops sorry it's an Eminem thing lol) ..

Have you guys ever tried an air mattress overlay? I swear by them! The only thing is it makes it difficult to transfer.
    "We accept the love we think we deserve." -- The Perks of Being a Wallflower

"Some things in life cannot be fixed. They can only be carried." -- Tim Lawrence

"and Ziggy played guitar!" -- David Bowie

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

'K ... got my answer ! Thanks so much everyone ! Always looking for the magic .... skin skin skin skin skin ... and Marm for the record .. Roho is really starting to come up smelling like roses .... I'm comin' around .. maybe ..

Lynnifer ... very familiar with Eminem in our house .. at least when Kat was still living at home ....

Thanks much again all!

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Jim used a gel overlay, I think Invacare, for 3 years with no skin problems. However, instead of hassling with insurance every 2 years I make his matress now. It's 3 inches of high density foam with 3 inches of memory foam over that. I get it at a foam outlet place and the cost was about $50.00. He has had no skin problems at all. For his w/c he uses a high profile Jay 2 and in the last seating clinic he showed only blue, so it's working great for him. We worry most about his feet, he is Type I diabeticx30 years, so that is a concern. He hasn't had a pressure sore since his initial acute hospitalization 7 years ago, where they gave him a stage III on his coccyx and sores on both heels, which I healed at home. Deb

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Gel is not a very good pressure reduction material for beds. [...](KLD)
    You mean by itself, no? The pad Obieone refers to is the plain Akton polymer, which I agree isn't a good choice, either alone or on top of foam. Too slippery for one thing. But I've used Action's 18x16x5/8 *cube* pads over a ultimate variable-density foam wc cushion and also, over foam and then covered with loose soft towels, under my butt & heels in bed (http://www.actionproducts.com/). This has been a great help in getting past long-standing decubitus problems. The material can be cut, and I'm experimenting now with using it as footrest padding and shoe inserts. (I have no connection with Action Products, I'm just a fan of the material.) - fw

something like that would be great to put in my car seat!
    has anybody ever used a gel lay over for the car?
    does anybody make ones specifically for that purpose?
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay