Page 8 of 113 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    Geneloch

I can't imagine that whatever I've said could inspire anyone but thank you for the kind words.

I made a mistake when we we're transporting Brian from Phoenix to Atlanta. Initially Blue Shield denied authorization for rehab at the Shepherd Center.

My son Brian is in room 213A stop by and say hello. My wife and daughter are in Atlanta with Brian full time and I come every weekend. I'll add Dustin to our prayers for recovery.

Roger
    Roger, in general, I realized that your situation was similar, and that we would face some of the same challenges. Brian was out of country, South Padre nearly is. We were out of state. Similar age.

Since the Insurance issue was a big hurdle, and Cheesecake strongly encouraged that I read your thread, I recruited a friend of Dustin's to lead a phone call with Dustin's mother and BC/BS. This friend has 40 years of experience in the insurance business, and knew all of the right tactics. He was almost like a lawyer, asking questions, then drawing conclusions.

Thanks for the offer to stop by! We definitely will!! And again, thanks for all of the help!!

Geneloch,

So glad to hear that everything is moving along. Shepherd will be a great place for Dustin. I wish him only the best with his transfer to Atlanta, and his time in rehab. Keep us posted and let me know when he is heading back to Indiana.

Trish

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    Geneloch

My son Brian is in room 213A stop by and say hello. My wife and daughter are in Atlanta with Brian full time and I come every weekend. I'll add Dustin to our prayers for recovery.

Roger
    Roger, Dustin Faurote has arrived at Shepherd. Not sure what room. I will be joining our daughter, Katie, for a visit to Shepherd Saturday - Tuesday. Hope to meet you and your family. It would be great if Brian could say hello to Dustin. I have told Dustin that he has some people expecting his arrival. Dustin is very happy to be at Shepherd, and very anxious to start his rehabilitation.
    Thanks

Geneloch

I'll call my wife and daughter and ask them to call on Dustin. I'm traveling to Atanta Friday afternoon and will be be at the Shepherd Center late Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. We need God to heal all these boys.

Roger

Cheesecake

Brian is feeling ok and doing all of the therapy at the Shepherd Center. He's been moved to a manual wheel chair. It's planned that he will complete the acute rehab program at the Shepherd Center on May 15. He'll then move immediately into the Shepherd Center day program. The amount of time that he spends in the day program will depend on his goals. This is determined when he starts the program.
    I was talking this weekend with Brian A. and his mother. When Brian A. leaves the Shepherd Center he will be going to Kennedy Kreiger for out patient rehab because it's close to his home. After my Brian finishes the day program at Shepherd should we wait a while or should we try to go to Kennedy Kreiger right away for Dr McDonald's ABRT program. Will I have another major battle with Blue Shield about going to Kennedy Kreiger for an out patient rehab program?

I spent some time talking with Brian A. in the garden at the Shepherd Center. He is such a nice young man.
    My wife and I went down to see Dustin but the curtain was drawn around his bed.

Thanks

Roger

You might want to check out the Neuro Institute, since they are right in the Phoenix area. I have seen insurance pay for this program (they have licensed and certified therapists).

(KLD)

KLD

Thanks for the reference. The Nero Institute is very close to where we live. I tried calling them but I got a machine, I'll call again Wednesday. I will definitely check this place out.

Thanks again

Roger

SCI-Nurse

I talked to the owner of the Nero Institute. Next week I go and visit the facility. My son Brian is currently at the Shepherd Center scheduled to start the Day Program next week. When Brian returns to Phoenix it's possible that the Nero Institure would be an option for continued therapy. With assistance from Cheesecake, I called the Kennedy Krieger Institute at Johns Hopkins and submitted an application. I want to make sure that all of the options are available.

Roger

I have a question regarding medication for spasms. My son, Brian, is currently taking Baclofen. I'm not sure of the dosage. He says that the medication slows his thinking. Brian recently took a test to evaluate if he had any brain damage from the accident. It was concluded that he didn't have any brain damage but his mental processing speed was slowed as a result of taking Baclofen. Someone suggested that if he wanted to go back to school that he should have a pump installed that would deliver the Baclofen directly into the spinal fluid this avoids the metal processing speed side effect. I hope that Brian won't need anymore surgery. This leads to the questions.

Will spasms diminish naturally so that he can be taken off Baclofen?
    Is there another drug that can be taken orally that could be used instead of Baclofen?

Thanks

Roger