Page 74 of 117 FirstFirst ... 24646566676869707172737475767778798081828384 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Roger, I am so sorry to read this.

I am a little confused. Are they simply saying he needs some re-training to properly pass the Intro to clinical rotations course, or are they saying he has to leave medical school?! With no explanation of the problems in his physical examination approach, and no chance to repeat the examination?

Of course, that is absolutely insane, and they are opening themselves up to a discrimination lawsuit if they don't consider reasonable accommodations to help get Brian to where he needs to be.

The most important thing at this point is to have an advocate to negotiate on Brian's behalf, and it sounds like Brian's advisor is helping. My gut feeling is the Dean is too far removed from the details of the Med school curriculum to help with the specifics, but if you can get him on your side at least, he can force the Med School to make a plan.

I'm so sorry for this frustrating hurdle. Keep fighting...

hlh

At the meeting on Friday one doctor told Brian that he should find something else to pursue and another doctor told him that he could sit out a year and try to pass the class next year. This class is pivotal in the medical school program. It's only given once each year and you're not allow to continue to clinical rotations without passing this class. The medical school curriculum is very rigid.

The suggestion to sit out a year is probably not a serious suggestion but rather something to cover the school legally. I say that because they didn't even tell Brian why he failed. As part of his classes Brian has been working in a clinic doing physical examinations under the supervision of a Physical Examination Training Assistant, PETA. Brian has adopted all suggestions the PETA's have been made on how to perform a physical examination. During the time he has worked in the clinic no one has told Brian that he's doing anything incorrectly. That's why it's such a shock that he has failed the physical examination phase of this class. As I mentioned, Brian can not perform all of the physical examination required steps in exactly the same manner that an able bodied doctor preforms the examination. He has to make some adaptations. If the doctors evaluating him failed him because he has made adaptations then he can never pass. For some reason he is being judged to a different set of standards in the class then what he was taught and practiced in the clinic. That's the part that is not right. Brian will make any changes to how he preforms a physical examination that the class instructors suggest. The problem is they have not instructed him to make changes but the doctors on the promotions committee decided that what he's doing is unacceptable to them.

Brian has known for some time that there were some doctors at Hopkins who didn't think that Brian should have been accepted into the medical school program. They couldn't stop Brian from being admitted into the medical school but they've now found a way to stop Brian from doing the required clinical rotations in the hospital.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 02-27-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    At the meeting on Friday one doctor told Brian that he should find something else to pursue and another doctor told him that he could sit out a year and try to pass the class next year.
    The bolded statement quoted above is infuriating. Brian's physical limitations would probably prevent him from being a surgeon, but not a doctor. The best doctors I've had -- some haven't even touched me -- they have all had extremely sharp minds, and a willingness to listen and learn about my situation before rendering their professional opinion.

I can certainly envision Brian finding an appropriate niche in the medical field AS A DOCTOR. In practice, a PA could do exams with Brian watching (if needed) -- correct?

Keep persevering. God bless.
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

So sorry Roger. This is total, utter bs.

Brian has known for some time that there were some doctors at Hopkins who didn't think that Brian should have been accepted into the medical school program. They couldn't stop Brian from being admitted into the medical school but they've now found a way to stop Brian from doing the required clinical rotations in the hospital.
    Appeal with the Disabled students service program involved. I just assisted a student at another medical / nursing school. We used Hopkins to inquire about accommodations. The reply was, "We look at each situation on a case by case". This came from Hopkins medical/nursing school. PM me if you want the name of the person in DSS who assisted me for someone at another medical school.

The fact that Brian did well in a clinic is a plus.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

hlh

Roger
    I was wondering if something like this was the case.

In most medical schools - especially of the caliber of Hopkins - there are very clear guidelines as to when/how someone is denied advancement. I'm sure these include a series of warnings, being informed of any specific concerns/shortcomings, and opportunities to repeat work. Students denied these would most likely be those who commit a crime or a severe ethical breech, and even those would keep a Medical School worried about a lawsuit unless the penalty/consequence was clearly outlined in their policy.

What is on your side is Brian's ongoing hard work, success in classes, mentorship and support by his advisor and experience in clinics that was not criticized similarly. If he was passing these and NO ONE ever gave him warnings, failing grades, or indications that there was a problem, then Hopkins has little to stand on. My gut feeling is they will work with you, but he will need strong advocates, and these should be a combination of faculty/advisors who have worked with him and someone educated in disability. It is fantastic that cheesecake has a name of someone in this DSS group - I am not familiar with that.

I am also leaning towards contacting a lawyer. I suspect that simply walking into one of these meetings and introducing your lawyer, would have a profound impact.

Regardless of the outcome, which I suspect will ultimately be in Brian's favor, this is just a terrible blow. I am so sorry.

As we know, there are a lot of people in this world who discriminate and are not sympathetic, and this includes doctors. This will become a problem in future clinical rotations regardless of what happens now, so this is the time to sit down with all the powers and make a plan. Clinical rotations can be incredibly demanding. Fortunately for Brian, because of recent changes in work hours for medical residents, this has trickled down to medical students and has given students more of a cushion/flexibility.

And fyi - there is no reason to wait a year to re-test and re-enter clinical rotations. You can enter clinical rotations any month of the year. Students change their schedule, have personal issues, or for reasons related to ongoing research projects change their clinic schedules all the time. This is no reason for them to deny you entry this year once this situation is cleared up. Also, many many students take a year off before clinical rotations to do a research project, so this is also very acceptable. It does make returning to clinical rotations more challenging though.

We are all rooting for Brian.
    Last edited by hlh; 02-27-2012 at 07:01 PM.

hlh

There were no warning that Brian's performance was lacking in any way. That's why this was such a shock. After Brian successfully completed his final class I thought that everything was set for him to begin clinical rotations.

I said this in an earlier email. What I believe is going on here Hopkins politics. I suspect that there were doctors who didn't agree with the admissions committee's decision 3 years ago to admit Brian to medical school. This is now their opportunity to enforce their view point and Brian. This is Hopkins politics playing out with Brian as the victim. The people who supported Brian's admission have to step up and stand by their decision.

Brian has worked very hard and at times sacrificed his health to participate in this program. On the financial side Brian has significant student loans that he's obligated to repay and my wife and I have also made a major financial commitment to support Brian because Hopkins could not provide suitable handicap accessible housing.

Over the weekend I contacted an attorney who knows Brian and has worked on other legal matters for Brian. If it's necessary we will ask him to travel to Baltimore. This sounds terrible and I can't imagine going down this path.

Roger

Brian just received a call from the Dean at the medical school. The decision has been overturned Brian starts class again tomorrow. Brian will use his first six week clinical rotation to make the required changes in how he completes a physical examination.

Tomorrow Brian has a meeting where they will discuss the accommodations that he will need during each clinical rotation. All the accommodations are to be documented which is good so that Brian know exactly what is expected.

The way that this was handled last Friday put us all through a lot of unnecessary stress.

Roger

Brian just received a call from the Dean at the medical school. The decision has been overturned Brian starts class again tomorrow. Brian will use his first six week clinical rotation to make the required changes in how he completes a physical examination.

Tomorrow Brian has a meeting where they will discuss the accommodations that he will need during each clinical rotation. All the accommodations are to be documented which is good so that Brian know exactly what is expected.

The way that this was handled last Friday put us all through a lot of unnecessary stress.

Roger
    Roger: What a rollercoaster! FYI my husband does disability law so if you want or need someone in the region, holler. Also, if Brian needs or wants an advocate there tomorrow, let me know and I would gladly attend. I used to work in Disabled Student Services (DSS) and am well versed in accommodations.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

[QUOTE=Roger;1497619]Brian just received a call from the Dean at the medical school. The decision has been overturned Brian starts class again tomorrow. Brian will use his first six week clinical rotation to make the required changes in how he completes a physical examination.

Roger[/QUOTES]

There we go.... sanity.

Very stressful, nonetheless.

I anticipate that there will be more bumps in the road as clinical rotations progress. Clearly outlining expectations and needed accommodations is the way to go. Both now, and reviewed again at the start of every rotation.

Good luck.
    Last edited by hlh; 02-29-2012 at 01:14 PM.