Page 7 of 113 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

roger, I was very excited to read your entry today! My daughter is starting the day program at the Shepherd Center on monday 4/9, we got the call yesterday. She also qualifies for their NRN program. We are from Wisconsin and have been hearing wonderful things. It's great to hear that you are very happy with Shepherd Center.

Yellowlilly

I'm pleased to share this information with you. I was in the gym this weekend. They've just opened a new room where all of the weight equipment is located, there's a major addition being added to the Shepherd Center. The building process is being done in a manner that doesn't appear to interfere with the normal operations. Please have your daughter stop by and say hi to my son XXX XXX room 213A.

Roger
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 11-07-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Cheesecake

I said hi to Brian A room 2--on Monday. He was in the second floor therapy area. It was nice to see him out of his bed.

Roger
    Last edited by cheesecake; 04-14-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Roger

we will for sure stop by and say hello to your son! I just read your whole thread, you and your family sure went through the mill with the insurance company to get to shepherd! Way to stay focused on what you knew was right for your son.

Rodger, Great to hear that you decided to try the best facility you could find. I made the mistake of staying seven months at a less progressive hospital when we had excellent insurance. Although every time period is important, the first six months are critical. When I finally did leave, I was separated from my son, age, 13, and my husband, we missed them but the difference in my daughter's progress was incredible. My daughter, age, 16, has a SCI C/6, we have Blue Cross Insur. and we live close to S.F. California, but we went to the East coast for treatment. My only regret is that we didn't leave the first place sooner...it makes a world of difference! All of the best to you and your son.

I wish that resources such as what Cheesecake has provided were around in 1989.....

So much improvement and choices....

You are such an asset to this community Cheese....

Good luck to you and your son....
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    Cheesecake

I said hi to Brian A room 210 on Monday. He was in the second floor therapy area. It was nice to see him out of his bed.

Roger
    Roger, just wanted to let you know that you and your son have inspired us to GO FORWARD!!! We now have a caseworker assigned at Shepherd Center for Dustin. We anticipate airlift from Harlingen, Texas on Tuesday.

Thank you for leading the way. Your thread, this forum and the participants have been a true blessing. Best of luck to you and Brian in your journey.

Quote Originally Posted by darkeyed_daisy
    I wish that resources such as what Cheesecake has provided were around in 1989.....

So much improvement and choices....

You are such an asset to this community Cheese....

Good luck to you and your son....
    Daisy~ When I was first injured,(early 1990's) I got no rehab on an inpatient basis. I had a bad contusion. It was work related. I saw my physiatrist doctor the next day as I was loosing function (already had a degenerative disease going on). She was wonderful but had a medical crisis that evening. I called as I lost function but her partners said rest it would get better, it only got worse. Six weeks later, nothing could be done and I no longer really able to walk or move one leg. It took 18 months for workers comp to approve an MRI, which showed a birth defect/anomoly of the spinal cord. No fall I would have never known.

About 10 years ago or more, I decided no one should have to ever have to try to navigate the system alone. I learned a lot on my own, trial, error, etc. I also started developing resources as if fit my professional life.

Bottom line, what happened to me sucked. No one should be left without a friendly hand, guidance, advice, etc. The one thing our injuries gave us was knowledge, I figure it is my "mission" to share that knowledge. Lord knows I have made some mistakes, bad judgements, given up to easily, etc. I hope to prevent others going that same road.

Roger, good news on the Brian's. Any return in your Brian's hands? Hope he is making progress, keeping his spitits up etc. I direct may to your appeal letter as well as air flight appeal.

My Friend Marcia said she say your wife on Sunday. Marcia is now in Outpatient and took 10 stepf forward this week and 10 backwards.

In the mist of peoples SCI struggles, lots of positive news this week.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Geneloch

I can't imagine that whatever I've said could inspire anyone but thank you for the kind words. The people on this web site and the whole group involved in spinal cord injury inspired us.

I made a mistake when we we're transporting Brian from Phoenix to Atlanta. Initially Blue Shield denied authorization for rehab at the Shepherd Center. This was an issue that had to be resolved immediately because the Doctors were telling me it was critical to start rehab as soon as possible. I appealed this denial on an expedited basis. Blue Shield then approved inpatient rehab at Shepherd but denied the transportation expense. When the Blue Shield grievance coordinator called to tell me that Blue Shield had authorized rehab at the Shepherd Center he asked me if I wanted to appeal the decision to deny the transportation expense. Without thinking it through I said yes. At that point the critical issue was resolved, Brian was going to the Shepherd Center for rehab. The transportation expense issue was not something that had to be resolved immediately. What I should have said was: send me a letter with the reasons for transportation expense denial then I'll appeal. Don't make the same mistake. I'm in the process now of back tracking to get back to the proper grievance procedure.

My son Brian is in room 213A stop by and say hello. My wife and daughter are in Atlanta with Brian full time and I come every weekend. I'll add Dustin to our prayers for recovery.

Roger

Cheesecake

I'm back at the Shepherd Center. My wife and I stopped at Brian A's room. He's doing much better. The cast is off of his arm and he's eating more. We talked with Brian A and his mother.

As for my Brian. Brian W he has feelings in his fingers but he has not regained any grip yet. We're very hopefully. I didn't follow your other comment concerning the appeal of the transportation expense denial.

"I direct may to your appeal letter as well as air flight appeal"

I'm working this problem very slowly. I don't want to make a hasty mistake. Last week I had the air ambulance company submit a bill to Blue Shield. Included with the bill was a letter from the attending Doctor at St Josephs justifying the air ambulance method of transportation. I hope by submitting a bill that Blue Shield will have to give me a written reason why the expense was denied. When I get that denial letter in hand then I'll write an appeal directly addressing the reasons that the expense was denied. I never received an explanation why the transportation expense was denied. I did receive a letter why my appeal of the denial was denied but this letter didn't explain why the transportation was denied.

I know this all sounds like a bunch of double talk but I think in the health care insurance business keeping us confused works to their advantage of the insurance company.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 04-14-2007 at 09:22 PM.