Page 67 of 117 FirstFirst ... 17575859606162636465666768697071727374757677 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

I just talked to Brian. He is going to have minor surgery tomorrow to remove a caterer retainer that the surgeon did not remover during the last surgery in January 2011. This is the fifth surgery related to the Baclofin Pump since August 2010. In 2010 when Brian decided to have a Baclofin Pump implanted he had no idea what that decision could entail. It has been one Baclofin Pump issue after another for the last year. These problems have set him back one year in his schooling.

Hopefully, this is the last surgery.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I just talked to Brian. He is going to have minor surgery tomorrow to remove a caterer retainer that the surgeon did not remover during the last surgery in January 2011. This is the fifth surgery related to the Baclofin Pump since August 2010. In 2010 when Brian decided to have a Baclofin Pump implanted he had no idea what that decision could entail. It has been one Baclofin Pump issue after another for the last year. These problems have set him back one year in his schooling.

Hopefully, this is the last surgery.

Roger
    Was it left in by accident? Unreal what Brian has gone thru. Most people have little to no issues with the pump.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Cheesecake

When Brian and Ann met with the surgeon today he said that he left the clamp in because he didn't think that it would be a problem and he didn't want to make another incision. That's what he told Brian and Ann today but he is the only one who really knows.

From the very beginning everything has gone wrong with this Baclofin Pump implant. Brian had the surgery scheduled for early July 2010. At the beginning of June the surgeon's nurse called and said the the doctor was going out of town and that the surgery would have to be rescheduled for August. Brian had rehabilitation scheduled at KKI for August and we had plane reservation that all had to be rearranged around the new surgery date. It was a mess to rearrange everything but we had no idea how much worse it would get. One year later and Brian is still dealing with Baclofin Pump issues. It has been an wasted year in regards to his medical school progress.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 07-14-2011 at 08:10 PM.

Has Brian at least gotten the benefit of reduced/controlled spasms from the baclofen pump?

Sorry to hear of all that trouble.

God bless.

Bill Miller
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Bill

Yes, the baclofen pump has reduced the spasms significantly compared to the oral baclofen.

The worst was last December after the baclofen pump was removed because of an infection near the implanted pump. After the pump was removed Brian went back on oral baclofen but the fatigue and spasms were terrible. For two months until a new pump was implanted he was totally incapacitated. That's when he went on medical leave from school. It seems like after the body is used to receiving the baclofen direct on to the spinal cord the oral baclofen is less effective.

Roger

Bill

Yes, the baclofen pump has reduced the spasms significantly compared to the oral baclofen.

The worst was last December after the baclofen pump was removed because of an infection near the implanted pump. After the pump was removed Brian went back on oral baclofen but the fatigue and spasms were terrible. For two months until a new pump was implanted he was totally incapacitated. That's when he went on medical leave from school. It seems like after the body is used to receiving the baclofen direct on to the spinal cord the oral baclofen is less effective.

Roger
    Thanks Roger. I'm glad he's at least receiving the benefit for all the trouble.

Bill
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Brian had the minor surgery today to remove an medical device that was used to anchor the baclofen pump's catheter. The doctor used a local anesthetic and it only took five minutes. Hopefully this will be the last surgery associated with the baclofen pump for a long time.

It's ironic July 14, 2010 was the date that Brian had the first baclofen pump implanted. During the last year Brian has had three baclofen pumps and five operations related to the baclofen pump. Not good.

Roger

Smile

Brian had the minor surgery today to remove an medical device that was used to anchor the baclofen pump's catheter. The doctor used a local anesthetic and it only took five minutes. Hopefully this will be the last surgery associated with the baclofen pump for a long time.

It's ironic July 14, 2010 was the date that Brian had the first baclofen pump implanted. During the last year Brian has had three baclofen pumps and five operations related to the baclofen pump. Not good.

Roger
    Wow! Roger Poor Brian I feel for him.! He sure has been through a lot since he was hurt that's for certain. I also feel for your wife, daughter and yourself. You sure all have been through the ringer . Thanks so much for being so supportive of your son. Hope Brian doesn't have to have any more surgeries. Hope you get to close on the condo real soon and get Bank of America out of your hair.. You sure could write a book on the ups and downs in your lives and I'm sure it would be a best seller. Hope things settle down real soon for you and for your family, Wish there was something I could do for all of you to make things smoother in your lives.
    Take care! Please tell Brian his Care Cure Friend says hello! and that I wish him the best !

Brian and Ann are back in Baltimore. Brian is studying for the Step 1 Board Exams. He's going to study for about six weeks and then take the exam. I have not idea how he can study the way that he does. He'll study for 24 hours straight and then sleep. This is not new, he used to do the same thing when he was an undergrad at UC Berkeley. It works for him but it wouldn't work for me.

So far so good with the latest baclofen pump.

I'm still working on buying the condo. The problem right now is getting approved for a mortgage. Currently we have an application being reviewed at MetLife Home Loans. The MetLife loan officer was on vacation last week and the underwriter is out part of this week so vacations have slowed things down.

Brian doesn't have enough income to qualify for the mortgage so they're trying to get a mortgage in my name for the Baltimore condo. We've tried this with other mortgage companies but it didn't work because I don't live and work in Baltimore. The MetLife loan officer says that they can make an exception for us because of Brian's injury and my wife does live full time in Baltimore.

If we get approved for a mortgage then our Realtor has to go back to Bank of America and get the Short Sale approved again. There's no telling how much longer this could drag out. My only concern is that Bank of America could foreclose and have us evicted before everything is approved. BAC is so disorganized that it wouldn't matter to the foreclosure department that we had an offer to purchase the condo pending. I've talked to several different BAC real estate departments and I've concluded that BAC is a disorganized mess. I wouldn't be surprise if they went out of business because of these huge real estate losses. BAC just settled one real estate related lawsuit for 8 billion dollars and today I heard that AIG was suing BAC for 9 billion dollars.

Roger

Brian is doing well he's studying for the Step 1 Board Exam. He has been told by doctors at Johns Hopkins that this is the most difficult test that he'll have to take. Brian says that it's difficult because there is so much memorization.

I haven't posted for about a month but would you believe that I'm still working on the condo purchase. Last Friday MetLife Home Loans approved the loan contingent on me providing a few up to date bank statements. The latest Chase bank statements are due to be posted on-line at midnight tonight so I'll submit the documents late tonight as soon as the statements are posted. Now that we have the loan approval the next step is to go back to Bank of America and get the Short Sale approved again. I talked to our Realtor today and he said that he thinks that this is our last shot. If we don't get this deal done this time BAC will probably foreclose on the property.

My wife and I were away for 17 days on a river cruise and everything worked out well for Brian while we were gone. Brian had two different attendants come in to help in the morning. Both of the attendants were very reliable and everything went well. This is a huge change from our bad experiences with nurses contracted through nursing agencies. At the Phoenix W2W I talked with Dr. Morton who is an associate of Dr. Young's at Rutgers. She told me that the only way that she was able to locate good reliable nursing care was to setup her own network of nurses. Based on Dr. Morton's advice Ann talked to people in the neighborhood and posted signs at the Johns Hopkins nursing school. Ann has now located two very reliable nurses who work part time. Ann is continuing to try to expand the network so that no one attendant feels over committed.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 09-07-2011 at 12:15 AM.