Page 66 of 117 FirstFirst ... 16565758596061626364656667686970717273747576116 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Hi Roger~
    Checking in to see the status of the condo as most importantly, Brian's health.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Hi Cheesecake

Brian is feeling good. Yesterday, when I talked to Ann on Skype Brian was on the standing frame. He really needs to continue with an exercise program.

In regards to the condo I'm still working on getting a mortgage. This morning I talked to a mortgage officer that our Realtor knows. The mortgage officer sounded very optimistic that they would be able to do the mortgage. I'm hoping that this mortgage application will be approved. The problems we're having getting a mortgage are related to the number of non owner occupied properties in the building and the fact that the condominium associations insurance policy does not comply with the Fannie Mae insurance guidelines.

When I was in Baltimore last week I had to make a quick trip to New York City. Ann and Brian drove the car to Trenton NJ and then rode the New Jersey Transit to NYC. They left NYC Friday afternoon headed back to Trenton to pickup the car. but when they got to the car Ann realized that she left the car keys in the hotel room in NYC. They immediately got back on the NJ Transient back to NYC and went to the hotel but the keys had not been turned in yet. So they took Amtrak back to Baltimore. I arrived in Baltimore Friday night on Saturday we called the hotel lost and found and they said that they had the car keys, so I took Amtrak to NYC got the keys then drove the car home from Trenton. I didn't mind the trip but the whole adventure cost $400 for Amtrak tickets.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 06-17-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Brian is doing well. He does the standing frame one day and the RT300 bike the next. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the Closing Officer from Bank of America called and told our Realtor that they were withdrawing the short sale approval. When Bank of America approved the Short Sale on April 1, 2011 they told us that we had two weeks to close on the condo. When we got the Short Sale approval I had already been talking to a mortgage company for six months and had been given assurances that everything was good to go for the mortgage but then everything fell apart. The problem has been that the condo development doesn't comply with the Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac residency and insurance guidelines and these mortgage companies and banks sell the mortgage to Fannie Mae of Freddie Mac.

I think we're on the verge of getting approved for a mortgage at MetLife Home Loans. MetLife doesn't sell the mortgages, they hold them in their portfolio, so they're not required to comply with the Fannie Mae guidelines. Our plan now is to get approved for a mortgage then we'll start the Short Sale approval process at BAC again. It took eighteen months to get the BAC Short Sale approval last time.

Roger

Are you sure you want to keep going on this?

At this rate, he'll be done with med school by the time you own it. Then he might be moving for residency, and you'll have to struggle with trying to sell it.

Forgive me if I am forgetting another motivating factor to buy....

Just thinking about your sanity. You are an incredibly patient person.

hlh

You're right of course. Without the special circumstances of Brian's injury we would have walked away long ago. Baltimore in general is not a wheelchair accessible city, too may three story townhouses and multiple steps at the entry to almost every building. The condo that we're trying to purchase is in a building with indoor parking, 24 hour security and elevators. It's located close to what might be the only supermarket in Baltimore City and it's two miles from the medical school. Plus Brian really likes the condo.

With respect to the burden on me it's really no big deal I make a few telephone calls everyday. We would not be able to rent this condo if we were not attempting to purchase it. Bank of America would start the foreclosure process and tell anyone who was living in the condo to vacate. To me this is a problem that you work on until there's a solution this is something that Brian wants so I'm going to stick with it until we get this purchase done.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 06-18-2011 at 12:35 AM.

You're such a good dad. You may not think what you do is a big deal, but it really is.

Brian is in Salt Lake City this week for a bachelor party for one of his friends from college. All of Brian's friends from college have been very supportive. They've made several trips to visit Brian when he was in Atlanta and Phoenix. Next month Brian will travel to San Francisco for the wedding.

I'm still working on the condo. We've just completed a loan application to MetLife Home Mortgage. I'm optimistic that we'll get approved for this mortgage from MetLife. After we're approved for a mortgage then we'll work on getting the Short Sale approval from Bank of America for the condo.

Our Realtor called the Bank of America short sale negotiator today and asked what needed to be done to complete this transaction. The short sale negotiator told him that the file was closed and that we have to start from the beginning and submit a new offer for the condo. At the appropriate time our Realtor will submit a new sales contract to Bank of America for their approval. Two other condo's in the building have sold recently for less than what we offered so I'm thinking that our new offer will be $20,000 less that our previous offer. Maybe this is a good thing only time will tell.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Brian is in Salt Lake City this week for a bachelor party for one of his friends from college. All of Brian's friends from college have been very supportive. They've made several trips to visit Brian when he was in Atlanta and Phoenix. Next month Brian will travel to San Francisco for the wedding.

I'm still working on the condo. We've just completed a loan application to MetLife Home Mortgage. I'm optimistic that we'll get approved for this mortgage from MetLife. After we're approved for a mortgage then we'll work on getting the Short Sale approval from Bank of America for the condo.

Our Realtor called the Bank of America short sale negotiator today and asked what needed to be done to complete this transaction. The short sale negotiator told him that the file was closed and that we have to start from the beginning and submit a new offer for the condo. At the appropriate time our Realtor will submit a new sales contract to Bank of America for their approval. Two other condo's in the building have sold recently for less than what we offered so I'm thinking that our new offer will be $20,000 less that our previous offer. Maybe this is a good thing only time will tell.

Roger
    Roger,

Here's to hoping you will wind up getting the condo for $20,000 less than your first offer.

Your patience (in general) and dedication to Brian is inspiring.

God bless.

Bill Miller
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Checkout the below CareCure thread about a new way to bowl!
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=87066

As of July 1 Brian is off medical leave and back in medical school. Starting the beginning of August he is going to study for about six weeks and then take the first board exam sometime in late September. Next week Brian is flying to San Francisco to be in his college friend's wedding. After the wedding Brian will fly to Phoenix and stay for at home for about 10 days. After Brian leaves for San Francisco Ann flies to Phoenix from Baltimore.

Ann has been trying to setup a group of caregivers who would be able to assist Brian. Last year we had several different nurses from local agencies come in a few days each week. This never worked out, it was terrible. None of the nurses were reliable. They would be scheduled to come to assist Brian and they would not show up and not even call. Several times the caregivers from the agencies submitted fraudulent time cards. Brian could see that they were putting down more hours than they actually worked. Our concern was not that they put down extra hours when they worked it's when they didn't work at all and then put those hours on their time sheet as though they had worked. That was unacceptable.

Dr. Morton, one of Dr. Young's associates, told me at Working to Walk that getting a reliable caregiver from an agency is very difficult and it is not the best way to setup a network of caregivers. She suggested contacting the local nursing schools. Ann went over and put a flier on a bulletin board at the Johns Hopkins Nursing School. This week Ann got a call from one of the student nurses. Ann and Brian met with the student and thought that she was very nice. Ann hopes that this will be the start of a caregiver network for Brian.

Last week Brian got a letter telling him that he was not selected to be on the TV program Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. I was surprised that he wasn't selected. This is a lost opportunity to bring public attention to spinal cord injuries.

I'm still working on the condo purchase. The latest is that our file is being reviewed by the MetLife Mortgage underwriters and we should hear something this week. I've heard that so many times that I have a hard time taking them seriously. If we do get approved for a mortgage this week then we'll submit an short sale offer to Bank of America and start that approval process again. Believe me I'm not making this stuff up it goes on and on.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 07-13-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Hi Roger,
    That is great news about Brian being off medical leave, and I hope the caregiver network through the nursing school can continue to grow into total reliability. Where I went to school there was a PT school also, and many quads used PT students recruited to be care givers. I am a tad angry that Brian was not selected for the TV show, and can't help but wonder if it is some sort of bias, as he clearly would have been a valuable addition!