Page 60 of 117 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Brian is out of surgery and in ICU. They want to monitor him to make sure that he doesn't have baclofen withdrawal symptoms. He's taking oral baclofen now but the amount of baclofen that reaches the spinal cord is much less than what the baclofen pump administered. Hopefully he'll be able to go home Sunday.

Roger

Well wishes are being sent your way, and hopes that Brian gets out of the hospital on Sunday!

Brian was released from the hospital on Sunday afternoon. He's on an antibiotic because there was an infection. He started studying today to catchup on the lectures that he missed. Last weekend he was suppose to do a Gastrointestinal take home exam but he'll do the exam next weekend instead.

Brian is thinking that he'll have another baclofen pump implanted during his spring break in March. The surgeon said that he can put the pump on Brian's left side instead.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 12-10-2010 at 08:33 PM.

Brian has been have a rough time during the last week. Last weekend the combination of the baclofen withdrawal and the antibiotics he's taking him hard. He couldn't eat and he was having hot flashes and hallucinations. He was alone because my wife had returned to Phoenix to attend some Christmas events, this was a big mistake. She had reservations to fly back to Baltimore on Wednesday but early Monday morning Brian called and said, 'I need mom here right away'. Ann got on the first flight to Baltimore.

Brian is eating and feeling better but he's still weak and hasn't been able to attend classes this week. Last week he thought that he wanted to have another baclofen pump implanted but he's having second thoughts now.

I learned something about the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Award tickets the hard way. I never read all of the rules in the fine print. At this time of the year Southwest has restrictions so that you can't use the Rapid Rewards Award tickets but you can upgrade to the the standard awards to Freedom Awards. I thought I could use one Rapid Reward Award round trip and upgrade it to a one-way Freedom Award ticket but you can't. A Freedom Awards ticket can only be booked as a round trip. To book a Freedom Award you need two round trip Rapid Reward award tickets. This was a shock because every ticket on Southwest Airlines is a one-way ticket except the Freedom Award ticket. The airlines are experts at rigging the game for their benefit.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Brian has been have a rough time during the last week. Last weekend the combination of the baclofen withdrawal and the antibiotics he's taking him hard. He couldn't eat and he was having hot flashes and hallucinations. He was alone because my wife had returned to Phoenix to attend some Christmas events, this was a big mistake. She had reservations to fly back to Baltimore on Wednesday but early Monday morning Brian called and said, 'I need mom here right away'. Ann got on the first flight to Baltimore.

Brian is eating and feeling better but he's still weak and hasn't been able to attend classes this week. Last week he thought that he wanted to have another baclofen pump implanted but he's having second thoughts now.

I learned something about the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Award tickets the hard way. I never read all of the rules in the fine print. At this time of the year Southwest has restrictions so that you can't use the Rapid Rewards Award tickets but you can upgrade to the the standard awards to Freedom Awards. I thought I could use one Rapid Reward Award round trip and upgrade it to a one-way Freedom Award ticket but you can't. A Freedom Awards ticket can only be booked as a round trip. To book a Freedom Award you need two round trip Rapid Reward award tickets. This was a shock because every ticket on Southwest Airlines is a one-way ticket except the Freedom Award ticket. The airlines are experts at rigging the game for their benefit.

Roger
    Give Brian my best, I am sorry he is having such a rough time.

FWIW, call SouthWest and explain the emergency. Their customer relations will help you resolve the issue.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Cheesecake

You were right. I called Southwest customer relations again and the agent I talked to said that if I faxed him a note from Brian's doctor he would refund $280.00 of the $439.00 that the short notice ticket cost Monday morning.

Thanks for the suggestion to give it one more try.

Brian is slowly getting through the baclofen withdrawal but he will miss school all this week. The doctors at the medical school told Brian not to be concerned about missing classes they will figure out a way for Brian to makeup the work. We really appreciate how understanding the doctors at the medical school have been through this whole ordeal.

Roger

I hope he's doing better very soon!

Brian is on his way back to Phoenix for Christmas. Ann flies back early tomorrow morning. I'm concerned because Brian is not feeling well. All he's says is that something is not right. It will be a relief when he gets home.

The whole baclofen pump experience has been difficult. Anyone considering having a baclofen pump implanted should talk to Brian about his experience. He has had three operations and now three weeks of recovery from the baclofen withdrawal. Even after the operation to implant the pump there is always the risk of infection when the pump reservoir is refilled. I think the staph infection that Brian had was caused by the refilling procedure. It was two weeks after the pump reservoir was refilled that Brian had to have the pump removed because of an infection right where the pump was implanted.

Roger

Wishing your whole family a happy Christmas, and hoping that Brian feels better very soon!

Thanks Eileen and I hope you continue your progress.

Brian arrived in Phoenix feeling ok. Ann arrives today at 10:00 am.

Roger