Page 54 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4444546474849505152535455565758596061626364104 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Ginamarie

I understand what you're saying so I called the IRS this morning to determine if Brian would qualify for the First Time Home Buyers Credit.

I explained that he had a signed sales contract dated April 16 but the owner has gone back to the mortgage lender and requested approval for a short sale. The IRS agent told me that we should consult with a Maryland attorney because what is considered a binding sales contract varies from state to state. Here's what it says on the Maryland sales contract and in fact there's nothing in the sales contract that says anything about a third party approval.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 06-07-2010 at 03:26 PM.

I understand what you are saying but the sales contract is not binding until it has been accepted by the seller. In this case the seller would be the bank and not the owner. In addition, the time for the "seller" to respond to your offer has probably expired unless you gave them 6 or more weeks to respond on the contract. So the contract would be considered void if they is a date for the seller to respond to the offer. If the bank does agree to the offer or eventually counters your offer, a new sales contract will be drawn up. Either way, this contract is not binding until it has been accepted by the bank. The owner does not have the right to agree to sell the condo at a price less than what is owed unless he or she intends to pay the difference out of pocket. That is obviously not the case since they want the bank to agree to a short sale.

Ginamarie

It's not worth discussing this any further because I don't think that we'll be able to close before July 1.

If by some miracle we were able to close what I would do is gather up all of the documents that we have that are required on Form 5405 and submit them to the IRS. If the IRS rejects Brian's application for the First Time Home Buyers Credit then the issue is settled.

Roger

Good Luck to you, I hope it works out for you!

Monday is Brian's last test for the year. The test covers neurology and neuropathology, 150 multiple choice questions. They call it an off the shelf test because it's given nationally at all the medical schools. It's important to the Johns Hopkins medical school to have their students score well on this test.

Brian has been studying hard for the last two weeks but this will probably be another marathon weekend. There's no way Brian will go into the test without being fully prepared. He's interested in neurology so that makes it even more important to score well on this test.

Brian and Ann are flying back to Phoenix on Friday June 18. They'll fly back to Baltimore July 10 so that on July 12 Brian can have surgery to insert a Baclofen pump. I'm flying to Baltimore to be there to help when Brian comes home after the surgery.

The Baclofen pump surgery was scheduled a month ago for July 2. So last Sunday I made a reservation on US Airways to fly to Baltimore on July 2. The day after I made my flight reservations a nurse from the doctor's office called and said that the doctor was going out of town and that the surgery was rescheduled to July 12. Ann changed their flights on Southwest Airlines no problem then I called US Airways. I explained the situation and asked them to waive the $150 change fee. Their response was absolutely not. The lady at US Airways reservations made it sound like US Airways would go out of business if they didn't collect the $150 change fee from me. I made a big mistake booking my flight on US Airways and I will not make that mistake again. I can't believe that US Airways thinks that they'll prosper by gouging their customers. I haven't changed the flight yet because I'm still stewing over the $150 change fee. If anyone has any ideas on how to get this waived let me know. I'm kind of boxed in because I told them the whole truth. Someone with more imagination probably could have come up with a better story.

Roger

Roger,
    Get a letter from Brian's surgeon saying that the surgery had to be postponed because of him, and not because of any request to do so from Brian. The airlines are rapidly becoming my least favorite people these days.

Yesterday I sent another letter to the US Airways customer service asking that the $150 change fee be waived. I explained that I had to change my reservation because the doctor rescheduled Brian's surgery. I really didn't expect anything to result from the letter but much to my surprise I received an email today from the US Airways Customer Service.

"As a one time courtesy, with a letter on the doctor's letterhead, stating that the date of the surgery changed, we will be happy to issue a $150.00 future travel voucher, in lieu of the non refundable change fee."

Ann is going to call the doctor's office tomorrow and get the letter that they've requested. Call me ungrateful but I don't have good feelings about US Airways. It took three telephone calls and two complaint letters to customer service. A voucher good but it's not as good as having the fee waived.

Brian's last test is tomorrow and he's been studying all weekend. It's a four hour test. One of Brian's college roommates who just finished medical school at Tulane is staying at the condo with Brian and my wife this weekend. He came to Baltimore Saturday for a wedding on Sunday and is going to stay until Wednesday. After the test Brian and Kevin will be able to celebrate.

Roger

Good luck & way to go, everyone!

Brian and my wife have been back in Phoenix since June 18. They'll fly back to Baltimore on July 4. The Baclofen pump operation is scheduled for Monday July 12 so I'll fly to Baltimore on July 9 and stay until the following Wednesday.

The really big news is that Brian has a roommate moving in September 15 when school starts. The roommate is one of Brian's medical school classmates. Maryland Voc Rehab is providing an assistant to help Brian in the morning and at night. My wife and I are very concerned about this arrangement but if there are problems my wife is prepared to go right back to Baltimore.

The Phoenix summer heat is not a good for Brian. Because of the SCI Brian doesn't tolerate the heat well. If he's outside for any length of time his body over-heats and he feels like he's going to pass out. I don't think he'll be coming back to Phoenix during the summer again.

We're still waiting for BofA to respond to our offer to purchase the condo in Baltimore. The First Time Home Buyers Credit expires today unless the Senate votes to extend it. If the Senate doesn't extend the First Time Home Buyers Credit then I'm not in any hurry to complete the condo purchase. We've been waiting 11 months for BofA to make a decision, our original offer to purchase the condo was made in July 2009. During that time condo has decreased in value significantly so I should probably thank BofA for being so inept.

Roger

Roger, I didn't have good experience with US Airway either. They don't have the stand by even the plane is 50% empty, they will charge for a comfirm seat. Many unhappy customers due to the stupid rules