Page 53 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Today was a very important day for Brian he was tested on his Clinical Examination Skills. Last Wednesday, he failed the test because he had severe spasms. One of the Deans from the medical school was present and Brian was very embarassed. We think that the spasms were a side effect from the baclofen pump evaluation that occurred on Monday.

Brian practiced last weekend on my wife. He had Ann lay on the kitchen island while Brian did the examination from the standing wheelchair. Today Brian was evaluated again. He performed the clinical examination perfectly and passed. This was a huge relief for Brian. Last week at this time Brian didn't think that he would be able to pass the Clinical Examination Skills.

I'm still working on getting the condo purchased approved. Last Friday I found out that 1st Mariner Bank will not give us a mortgage because the condo development has too may non-owner occupied units. I've started calling other lenders on Saturday. Most lenders use the same Fannie Mae restrictions on condos. There must be a lender out there that will loan money in this development because I know unit #734 was sold and closed in December. I'm going to check the Baltimore public records tonight and find out the what lenders have provided mortgages in this develpment recently. I'm usually amazed at the information that I can find online.

Roger

Sure enough I found the website with the Baltimore City Deeds of Trust. I've downloaded the Deeds for all of the properties that sold with the last 12 months. I'll call these lenders tomorrow and see if they are still lending at this condo development.
    Last edited by Roger; 05-06-2010 at 12:52 AM.

YAY! I knew he could do it! And may I say what a good sport Ann is to be the "patient" during the practice runs.

Brian is studying hard again this weekend. There's a big Neurology test on Monday. Brian likes studying Neurology he says that he enjoys the complexity. He's thinking that he might want to get into neuroradiology. There are five weeks left in the school year and three big tests.

On June 18 Brian and Ann are flying back to Phoenix for two weeks. On June 27 Brian's sister Christine is flying to Singapore where she will train for a month before going to Thailand as a missionary. Chistine has wanted to go to Thailand as a missionary for a long time. She delayed her plans to help care for Brian after he was injured. Christine will be in Thailand for three years where she will work with young girls to help prevent them from being drawn in the sex industry.

After Christine leaves for Singapore Brian and Ann will flying back to Baltimore. Right after they get back to Baltimore Brian is going to have an operation to insert a Baclofen pump. Spasms have been an on going problem that have prevented Brian from becoming independent. After Brian recovers from the surgery he's going to do a month of physical therapy at the Kennedy Krieger Institute. During this same time Brian will be doing Public Health Policy research for a professor at Johns Hopkins. At the end of the summer Brian hopes to have a paper published on his research.

Roger

Brian stayed up all night studying for the Neurology test today. He took the test at 9:00 AM and passed with an 80% score. I don't know what the mean was for the test. This was one of the most difficult test because it covered many complex illnesses. Brian has class until 4:00 PM so he'll crash tonight.

An appraiser from Bank of America is coming today at 2:30 PM to do another appraisal on the condo for BOA. This will be the third appraisal since the middle of March. The banks are going nuts with appraisals. The first item on every banks checklist is get an appraisal. In March when we were applying for a loan from 1st Mariner Bank we also had to have an appraisal done. We qualified for the mortgage but then 1st Mariner imposed additional restrictions on condo loans and told us that they would not give mortgages in this condo development. Now I'm talking to another mortgage company in Rockville Maryland.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 05-12-2010 at 02:50 AM.

I have been following your journey from the beginning here on Care Cure. All I can say is "well done"! You have all amazed me with your persistence and perseverance to overcome over so may challenges that have faced you. I want Brian to know that I (this person he's never known) is so proud of him!!! I'm so impressed with what you have been able to accomplish in such a short amount of time. To see you in your white robe---and continue to hear how great your are doing at school makes me so happy for you all!!! I hope the stupid condo realtors will get their acts together and get the darn this handled!! Best to you all. You are an inspiration to evveryone who has read this diary of your lives. I can't wait to see what you all continue to acheive in the future....I feel a book in here somewhere.....? Maybe one day with more free time?

Roger,

I have just spent my Sunday morning reading Brians story, from 2/07 through 5/10. I have been on a very similar journey only my son Robbie is a bit younger and his injury is a T4. He was injured in 12/09 in Richmond VA where we live. Soon after his injury I traveled up and down the east coast to find the best rehab, there were some limitations because he was only 14 yrs old, we ended up at KKI. I was so thankful to the folks at CDRF and the CC Community, there was no information available to us locally.

We spent the holidays in a tiny room in ICU, he doesnt remember much of it. We went to KKI right after New Years (fought with insurance co about transportation) and came home to Richmond in March. Adjusting to home, modifying the bath, installing a lift, getting back to schoolwork, fighting with insurance co over FES bike, out patient rehab...we are in the thick of it right now. We go back to KKI in June for an intensive 2 week session. Robbie continues to make progress, has gained some sensation and function in his abs. He is getting stronger but has had setbacks, 2 hospitilizations due to UTIs.

Like you I am EXTREMELY proud of my son, he has remained positive and worked hard since the injury, he has never once said "why me". It makes it easy for his friends, family, therapists, everyone he comes in contact with to accept these changes and view them as manageable. He sets the tone and we all run with it. He has never lost his sense of humor and made many new friends in Baltimore, he loves that city now. He played lacrosse for many years and Johns Hopkins Lacrosse team members visited him often while at KKI and he follws them closely now.

This injury has changed our lives but as difficult as the journey has been I think the changes are for the better, we spend more time together, we are all more open and honest, we talk about how we feel and we cry together. I am a single mother but have the help of his dad, my boyfriend and my brother. My son actually has 3 good, strong, hard woking men in his life. He and his sister have become much closer, she wants to help him as much as she can. However, there are bad days. Days that Im not up to being a caretaker and days that he doesnt want to rely on his mom so much. He gets more and more independent each day.

For me, I have left my job for a while and I miss it but I look at it this way. I will never have this year back, the first year after injury and I want to do it right. I want my son to have the best care and I want to be as educated as I can about SCI. I was not capable of doing it all while working full time. I am lucky to be able to make that choice but its not easy financially or emotionally.

My friends and family have held fundraisers for my son and raised over $35,000 so far. There are 3 more events planned in the next few months. We use this for therapy, equipment and possibly a new vehicle.

As for Rob's future we are very hopeful and excited. He is just entering high school so he has a world of opportunities. He has always been a huge fan of Rutgers Univ (we are from NJ) and now he is also a Hopkins fan. Stories like Brians will make a real impact on my son and his friends. I look forward to hearing more about Brians accomplishments and will post more of Robbies story. They are both very inspiring young men!

For the last two weeks Brian has been preparing a lecture on Spinal Cord Injuries that he was going present to his medical school class at Hopkins. During the process of putting the lecture together Brian met with several of the doctors at the medical school. During the course of these meetings two of the doctors were concerned that Brian might damage his relationship with the other students by giving the lecture. They thought that the other students might view Brian more as a patient rather than as a fellow student. Based on these concerns Brian has decided to postpone the lecture until sometime during the next school year. The doctors who have concerns have agreed to work with Brian on the lecture.

Brian is disappointed because he really wanted to give this lecture but at the same time he knows that the doctors are doing what they believe is best for him. In the mean time Brian is back to studying for the next neurology test on Tuesday. The first year of classes is over on June 18 and there are only two more tests. Brian and Ann are coming back to Phoenix on June 18 for two weeks. Then it's back to Baltimore for the baclofen pump operation on July 2. After the operation Brian will be working for a doctor at Hopkins doing public health policy research and he'll be doing a month of physical therapy at the Kennedy Krieger Institute. Classes begin again the middle of August.

We're still waiting for Bank of America to approve our offer to purchase the condo that we're renting. It's hard to believe that this has been going on for more than a year. The real estate market in Baltimore is totally messed up. Last weekend I was looking on the internet and noticed that the condo one floor above us had just been put on the market. I sent an email to our realtor and asked him to show this condo to Brian and Ann. Sunday afternoon he came over and showed it.

It's identical to the condo we're renting just one floor higher. I was interested in this other condo because the asking price is less than what we offered for the condo that we're renting. It seems like a no brainer, so yesterday I signed the papers and made an offer. Now we wait again, Wells Fargo owns this condo.

Roger

Brian is working hard studying for the last test this year on June 14. Four days later Brian and Ann fly back to Phoenix for two weeks.

The offer we made for the condo one floor above us was not accepted. The listing Realtor told me that someone else made a higher offer. Now we're back to waiting for Bank of America to accept or reject the April offer that we made for the condo we're renting. I don't think that this transaction can be completed before the First Time Home Buyer deadline of July 1. Realtor we had from Ziprealty messed this up. Her incompetence cost us $8,000.

Roger

Roger,
    I think the docs who suggested to Brian that giving a lecture on spinal cord injury might make him seem like more of a patient than a peer are dead on, unfortunately. I use to give a yearly lecture to second year med students on the psychosocial aspects of disability, and while they knew I worked at the same medical center and med school they were attending, we were not in peer relationships. I can understand why Brian wants to give this lecture, but I actually think his mentor's are correct in their assessment. There is no way to talk about all the ramifications of SCI without them sitting there thinking "oh, so that is how you do it." (whatever "it" might be). I hope Brian isn't feeling too badly hurt by this, because I actually think they are looking out for his best interest in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Brian is working hard studying for the last test this year on June 14. Four days later Brian and Ann fly back to Phoenix for two weeks.

The offer we made for the condo one floor above us was not accepted. The listing Realtor told me that someone else made a higher offer. Now we're back to waiting for Bank of America to accept or reject the April offer that we made for the condo we're renting. I don't think that this transaction can be completed before the First Time Home Buyer deadline of July 1. Realtor we had from Ziprealty messed this up. Her incompetence cost us $8,000.

Roger
    If it makes you feel any better, in order to get the First Time Homebuyer Tax Credit you would have had to have been under contract by April 30, 2010 and close on the purchase by June 30, 2010. Since the Bank is still considering your offer, you are not considered to be "under contract". You are not under contract until the date that the offer is accepted. Sorry! These banks can be a real pain, and they operate on their own timeline. That's for sure!