Page 52 of 117 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Here's a picture of Brian and his guests at the reception after the Johns Hopkins White Coat Ceremony. In the picture in addition Brian and myself are my wife, daughter, mother and Brian's Aunt Marge from Chicago.

The Ceremony was April 19 in the Armstrong auditorium at Johns Hopkins. The guest speaker was Dr. Thomas Weiner from the Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins. He's a very interesting speaker. The first slide in his presentation was a letter that he received from the Johns Hopkins Medical School 30 years ago. It was a letter thanking him for his application but expressing their regret that they were unable to accept him into the medical school. They wished him well in his pursuit of a career in medicine. Obviously he has done very well.

Congratulations Brian! I'm so proud of you my friend. You sure are an awesome guy. Despite all you have been through since your accident you keep on amazing every one tie after time. You keep doing well over & over in your studies at Johhs Hopkins Medical School. Wish I could meet you & your awesome family in person. Your a very, very lucky Doctor to be for having such a fantastic, supporting & loving family. Keep up the good work!. I know your going to make an awesome doctor & I bet you will have a huge patient following once you get your medical practice going or for who ever you work under. Again, Congratulations Brian & keep up the awesome job you've been doing in your studies. Take care & be well my Care Cure friend.
    Bob S.
    Oldsmar, Fl

-

Brian - you're awsome!

Brian has been studying all weekend for a difficult neurology test that he was suppose to take on Monday. He was able get his test post phoned until Tuesday because on Monday he's going to the hospital to be evaluated for a Baclofen pump. We'll be at the hospital all day tomorrow. He did the Baclofen pump evaluation in March but it didn't go very well so we're hoping that things go better tomorrow.

My wife gets back to Baltimore from her weekend in New York City tomorrow at 2:00 PM. My mother and I fly back to Arizona at 7:30 PM.

When I say that Brian has been studying all weekend that's really an understatement. He studied from 8:00 PM Friday night until 6:00 AM Saturday. He got up Saturday and studied from 3:00 PM until 7:00 AM Sunday. It's now 10:00 PM Sunday and he's been studying since noon. During the last three days he has studied ~36 hours. He wants to get all of this work completed before the Baclofen pump evaluation on Monday.

Roger

Roger: Next time you are in the area, let me know. We still need to try to connect.
    Great photo of everyone at the White coat ceremony.
    Good luck on Monday to Brian.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Coleen View Post
    Brian - you're awesome!
    I'll second that, and add (dirty semi-old woman that I am) that you're gorgeous, too. Dedicated, accomplished, liked and admired by so many, handsome, and with the greatest family one could ask for...talk about the total package. :-)

Good luck with your tests (both of them)!
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Roger - So nice to see this picture of your family! Thanks for continuing to post about Brian and his accomplishments and the effort it takes to achieve them. I find it very inspiring.

Roger, your family is beautiful. You must be so proud of Brian! He is such an inspiration to us all.
    Mary

Just so everyone realizes not everyday is a good day for Brian. He works hard and has many successes but there are also failures along the way. Today was a bad day.

Brian was being tested today to demonstrate that he was able to complete a clinical examination. Because of uncontrolled spasms he was not able to complete the examination. Brian was embarrassed and upset.

I think the reason for the excessive spasms was a side effect from the baclofen pump evaluation that occurred on Monday at Sinai Hospital in Baltimore. Brian was given a baclofen injection into the intrathecal space where fluid flows around the spinal cord. His reaction and spasticity were evaluated during the six hours following the injection. He started taking the normal dose of oral baclofen on Tuesday but for some reason the spasms were bad today. This was the worst possible day for him to have uncontolled spasms. I wish that he had waited until after this clinical examination test to have the baclofen pump evalutation. There was really no reason to have the baclofen pump evalutation now because he wouldn't be able to have the baclofen pump operation until the end of June.

I feel like we screwed up and caused unnecessary stress on Brian, my wife and me. I hope others can be smarter and learn from our mistakes.

Roger

Roger, thank you for posting the wonderful picture of you all at the Whie Coat ceremony. Congratulations to Brian for his numerous achievments, and to your entire family for the continued support that makes this all possible. You are ALL awesome!!
    So sorry that yesterday was a difficult day, but I have every faith he will be able to complete his exam giving skill demonstration one the spasms quiet down.

I just talked to my wife. Brian is feeling better today he's at school until 5:00 PM.

The spasms are better but still worst than normal. Ann's theory is that Brian is experiencing withdrawal symptoms. On Monday he received a baclofen injection into the area around the spinal cord that was more effective at controlling the spasms than the oral baclofen that he takes each day.

Brian is going to tested again next week on the clinical examination skills. He's going to practice all weekend on my wife so that he gets this requirement completed.

I'm still working on getting the condo purchase completed. Our Realtor and the Listing Realtor have both given up. I am now working with the Listing Realtor's Broker. I feeling like I'm finally working with a professional who will get this transaction done. One of the first things that he did was to get a signed sales contract between us and the owner. I had asked our Realtor why we didn't have a signed contract and she said that everything was being done on the Internet. That was the first thing to get fixed. Now I have a copy of the signed contract. This is what was need by April 30 for Brian to qualify for the $8000 First Time Home Buyers Credit. The next step is to get approval from Bank of America so that the sale can close by June 30.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 05-02-2010 at 11:07 PM.