Page 51 of 113 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Sorry I did not see Brian last week at my presentation at KKI---I do know he was real sick. I will follow up with Brian by email.

Enjoy your time at home together.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Cheesecake

Brian had a UTI last week and missed all of his classes Monday - Thursday. He felt better on Friday and went to class. Friday evening Ann and Brian flew back to Phoenix for spring break. Brian is taking an anti-biotic and is feeling better.

On Thursday afternoon Brian has a meeting with a case worker for AZ Voc Rehab. This is a sore subject. Two years ago the case worker at AZ Voc Rehab made a lot of statements about how they would assist Brian if he was accepted into medical school. She outlined the steps that we had to take to qualify for assistance. If we violated any of the rules then Brian would not qualify for assistance. We followed all of the rules. After Brian was accepted at Johns Hopkins he went back to AZ Voc Rehab and showed them that he had been accepted and that he had followed all of their rules. They said, we don't have any money so we can't help you. What disappointed me was that they denied things that they had told us six months earlier. Nothing was in writing so later they simply deny that they made the statements that we were told months earlier. This was a not a good experience. Brian was able to move forward without any assistance from AZ Voc Rehab. I expect the case worker to tell Brian Thursday that since he's now in medical school AZ Voc Rehab will not pay for anything. That was one of the rules. AZ Voc Rehab will not reimburse you for any expenses they will only give assistance if they're paying directly for the expense.

We'll see if the Thursday meeting provides anything of real substance. I now know better than to believe verbal promises that assitance will be provided sometime later.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 03-30-2010 at 02:34 PM.

Brian had a UTI last week and missed all of his classes Monday - Thursday. He felt better on Friday and went to class. Friday evening Ann and Brian flew back to Phoenix for spring break. Brian is taking an anti-biotic and is feeling better.
    Hi Roger:
    I was aware brian was sick from your posts so knew in advance we would not connect on Wednesday.
    I am glad to know that he is feeling better and enjoying spring break with friends.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Roger, I just want to thank you for sharing the journey of your son and family since his accident. I have read much of it and find it very inspiring. I'm in the outpatient part of my therapy now. Your son Brian is very lucky to have you and Ann as parents. I wish you all the best and look forward to reading more of your story.

Today has not been a good day.

Brian is still feeling the effects from the UTI. He's taking an anti-biotic that his doctor in Baltimore prescribed. Yesterday, Ann took a sample to a lab here in Phoenix to be cultured to make sure that he's taking the correct anti-biotic.

This morning at 8:00 AM the AZ Voc Rehab case worker called. She told Brian that it wasn't necessary for him to meet with her this afternoon. AZ Voc Rehab will not be providing any assistance because Brian no longer lives in AZ. He's living and going to school in Maryland. We made a major blunder two years ago. AZ Voc Rehab told us then that they would provide vocational rehabilitation assistance to Brian in one of two ways:

1. AZ Voc Rehab would pay for the modifications to a vehicle for Brian so that he could attend school.
    2. AZ Voc Rehab would pay for Brian's school expenses wherever he went to school.

We choose option 1 because we knew that school expenses went would be greater than vehicle modification expenses. Eight months later when Brian went back to AZ Voc Rehab and told them that he was going to attend the Johns Hopkins medical school they said that he would have to contact the Maryland Voc Rehab to request assistance. What I've learned from this is: if Voc Rehab offers financial assistance take it immediately. Verbal statements that a case worker makes are not binding and months later they're not even remembered.

More on verbal statements. This morning our Baltimore Realtor called. Two weeks ago a Bank of America representative verbally told our Realtor that BOA had accepted our offer to purchase the Baltimore condo. Today, our Realtor told us that a representative from BOA talked to her again and told her that they have now decided NOT to accepted our offer. Monday or Tuesday of next week our Realtor is suppose to meet with the listing Realtor and a BOA representative. Supposedly there will be some decision made at this meeting on how we move forward from here.

Roger

Yesterday Brian took the test on Cancer that he missed two weeks ago because he was sick. He studied hard for the test several days last week. In spite of this the night before the test he gets worried and stays up studying until early in the morning. Then he sleeps for a couple of hours and takes the test. This seems to be his routine for every test. His score on the test was 85. The class mean was 80.

The condo purchase is still a mess. Last Thursday our Realtor told us that she was going to have a meeting with the listing Realtor and her Broker on Monday or Tuesday of this week. As I expected that meeting never happened. My wife talked to our Realtor on Tuesday. During the telephone call our Realtor acted like she didn't know what to do next. I've felt for sometime that our Realtor is not a problem solver and that a short sale transaction is too difficult for her. Adding to that is the fact that the listing Realtor is not doing anything. I've been patiently waiting for the two them to get this transaction completed. but if we don't have a signed contract by April 30 Brian will lose the $8000 first time home buyer credit.

I called the listing Realtor's Broker and discussed the situation with him. It sounds like the listing Real Estate agent only works part time if at all. The Broker told me that he would get the facts and try to get this transaction back on track. We made our original offer to purchase this condo in July 2009, over eight months ago.

I also called our Realtor's broker but he hasn't returned my call. Not getting a return call from the Broker who is representing us makes me mad every time I think about it. I'm going to give our Realtor the rest of this week to get something done. If nothing gets done then next week we'll get a new Realtor.

Roger

Good luck!

Brian has been busy at school and he's doing very well. On Wednesday he made a presentation in the medical school auditorium to the 120 first year students. He said that it went well. Today, he had a test covering the last two weeks of lectures. He was really worried because he didn't have time to watch all of the lectures. He scored 85 on the test which was good.

Last Saturday Brian went with Dr. Lee to a disability conference in Baltimore. Brian gave a short talk telling his story about his injury and what he has done since the injury.

Brian has always performed well in front of groups. When Brian was a senior in High School he was the violin soloist for the Arizona All State Choir. The auditorium was filled with the All State Choir members parents and there was Brian standing in the center of the stage accompanying the choir. During High School he was a soloist at many weddings and he was a soloist at our church several times.

I'm making some progress on purchasing the condo. Our Realtor gave up and turned the job over to someone else at her office. The replacement Realtor as far as I can tell is doing nothing. The Listing Realtor is no longer working in real estate so I called the Listing Realtor's broker and I'm working with him. I'm optimistic that we're going to get a Sales Contract before the April 30 dead line. I found out Wednesday that the Bank of America office that's handling the short sale is in Chandler AZ five miles from our house. Unfortunately that doesn't really do me any good because BOA will only talk to the owner or the owners representative. They will not talk to the buyer.

I've found out that the reason that our offer was rejected by Bank of America was that the Realtors didn't get all of the necessary paper work submitted within the seven day time period that they were allowed. There were three people our Realtor, the Listing Realtor and the owners Mediator. There was a conference call today and each of them blamed the other. Fortunately the Broker that I'm working with now doesn't care who screwed up, he just wants to get the deal done.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 04-18-2010 at 03:08 PM.

Hi Roger,
    Brian never ceases to amaze me, doing well in his exams even after missing classes and presentations due to his UTI. You would think BOA would be chomping at the bit to sell one of their many mortgage default properties. The fact that this has been so mishandled is disheartening, but I hope it all works out in the end. You know, after they have made you jump through all their totally annoying hoops!

Here's a picture of Brian and his guests at the reception after the Johns Hopkins White Coat Ceremony. In the picture in addition Brian and myself are my wife, daughter, mother and Brian's Aunt Marge from Chicago.

The Ceremony was April 19 in the Armstrong auditorium at Johns Hopkins. The guest speaker was Dr. Thomas Weiner from the Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins. He's a very interesting speaker. The first slide in his presentation was a letter that he received from the Johns Hopkins Medical School 30 years ago. It was a letter thanking him for his application but expressing their regret that they were unable to accept him into the medical school. They wished him well in his pursuit of a career in medicine. Obviously he has done very well.

Last edited by Roger; 04-24-2010 at 05:29 PM.