Page 44 of 117 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Roger, I have followed this thread with interest, because a year ago my son was applying to medicine - he applied to 5 schools, got 5 offers - now his anatomy exams etc have become the important thing, rather than applications. Sometimes he is above class average, sometimes just below - however average is OK. I can relate to your pleasure in your son's blossoming career, and wish you both well. You're both doing a great job.

Greer

Congratulations on your son being accepted into medical school. After watching my son study for the MCAT and then go through the application process, I know that being accepted into medical school is a major accomplishment. Being accepted at all five schools that he applied to is really amazing.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 10-20-2009 at 12:49 PM.

I just talked to Brian he passed the big anatomy test that he took last week. The passing grade was 65 and he got 72. I don't know what the mean was for the test. This is a big relief to have the anatomy test out of the way. At Hopkins no one fails but if you don't pass a test you have to do extra assignments. The problem with this is that the regular workload is so heavy you don't have time for extra work so you end up falling behind.

I leave for Baltimore late tomorrow afternoon. For the last few days I've been working on some simple devices that Brian needs for doing physical examinations. One device is a clamp and handle that can be attached to a tuning fork. The 1/4 inch aluminum handle on the clamp can be inserted into a cuff so that Brian can hold the tuning fork. The other device is a rubber replica of an index finger. It also has a 1/4 inch aluminum rod that can be insert into his cuff. The tuning fork and the index finger are used during an examination to test the elasticity of a patient's skin.

Roger

Roger, please pass my congratulations on to Brian. Hope you all enjoy your family time together.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

I got back to Phoenix from Baltimore this morning at 11:00 am. I fixed several little items at the condo. The water leak was a crack in the plastic line from the valve to the refrigerator. I don't why the water didn't come into the condo. I replaced the line and we haven't heard anything more from the maintence people.

Brian was studying all weekend for a bio chem test this morning. It was a multiple choice test and it was graded immediately. He got an 84. The passing grade was 70. Tomorrow Brian and a classmate are giving a presentation on stem cells. Brian's classmate came over for dinner and then they worked on the presentation. Brian's stamina has really improved. On Saturday he studied all day and night until 4:00 am Sunday morning. Then he got up about noon on Sunday and studied until 2:00 am Monday morning. The bio chem test was at 8:00 am.

Brian is working very hard but he not doing enough exercise. We have an RT300 bike in the condo Brian has to take time to ride the bike and use the standing frame.

Roger

Thanks for the update. Does he have a tray for his standing frame so he can study or use his laptop while standing?

(KLD)

KLD

We don't have a table for the standing frame at the moment. A couple of years ago I almost brought one but Brian told me not to. I think that it might be a good idea now. When Brian was doing the anatomy class he was standing three of four hours a day and my wife thought that this helped with the bowel program. I'll start searching for a table we have the EasyStand 6000 glider standing frame.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 10-27-2009 at 10:38 AM.

Roger, congrats to Brian for all the great grades he is making. His stamina is amazing, and would be even if he wasn't disabled!!

Roger, Check with the Easystand company....they may have a program to trade in. Tim gets a lot of homework done while using the standing frame.

It's the same old story every time I talk Brian. He's studying for a big test on Monday and then he has another test the following Friday.

I fly to Baltimore Friday night and return to Phoenix Monday evening. Southwest Airlines has direct flights from Phoenix to Baltimore so whenever they run a special I buy several tickets. At Thanksgiving three of us will fly to Baltimore my daughter, my mother and myself then Dec 16 Brian and my wife fly back to Phoenix for Christmas.

I'm working on a ramp that I'll take to Baltimore in my suitcase. The ramp will go by the exterior door in Brian's bedroom so he can go out onto the patio. We still have not heard back from the bank about our offer to buy the condo. I'm glad that they're seriously considering extending the $8000 first time home buyers credit. Brian would qualify for the credit.

Roger