Page 42 of 117 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Brian is making friends with his classmates but there are many places in Baltimore that are inaccessible. Brian feels awkward when he has to be carried up stairs to get into a restaurant or when he can't get into the restaurant's bathroom.
    With time, his friends as well as Brian will find haunts that will allow him access. Much of MD is ancient and grandfathered in by the ADA. Annapolis is worse in some ways than Baltimore so I pick and choose where I go. Looneys is a major hang out both by student, med students and fire dept. They are accessible. Food is ok, beer good, great sports bar and music on weekends.

I found that before I go into a place that I ask what floor the bathroom is on and if there is access besides stairs. Some don't have that and I find it a majr pet peeve. Also tell him to check out Coopers in Fells Point. (if it is still even open).

Takes time to learn a new city. Unfortunately, much of the East coast is old and access is difficult. I love Boston but hated the lack of accessibility, Maine was worse. Not an excuse, just what the ADA allowed.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

It never seems to end, I feel guilty talking about more housing problems that we're having in Baltimore. I flew back to Phoenix Wednesday morning on the 9:00 am Southwest flight. Wednesday morning at 7:00 am just after I left for the airport. The Real Estate agent who has the listing for the condo that we're currently renting banged on the door and then unlocked the locks and started to open the door to the condo. My wife rushed to the door and got there just as the door opened. The Realtor made a snide remark: at least I didn't catch you at a bad moment again. He then told my wife that he has a buyer for the condo and we have to vacate the condo.
    Ann called me at the airport and told me the whole story. This whole experience upset my wife and Brian. Brian was stressed out anyway because his first test at Hopkins was on Friday. He had been up late every night studying for the test.
    We paid a substantial security deposit and I mailed the Sept rent to the condo owner at the end of August. Having someone open the door of the condo at 7:00 am and walk in is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.
    I called the owner as soon as I got back to Phoenix and complained to him. He said that he had been trying to call Brian but Brian didn't return his calls. I explained to the owner that Brian's cellphone was broken because he dropped it in the street and a car ran over it.
    The bottom line is we're moving out of this condo as soon as we find a suitable place. I called the Realtor's broker and complained about his agent entering our condo at 7:00 am unannounced. His comment was: "Aaron Rice is one of my best agents he wouldn't do that". I then said to him: so you think that I'm making this up. After I hung up I got thinking why bother trying to convince the broker he's nobody I went to the Baltimore Police Department website and filed a complaint, unauthorized entry. I looked up the Baltimore Tenant Landlord rules. The landlord is required to give a 60 day written notice and no one is allowed to unlock the front door and walk in.
    I think that the Real Estate agent caused all of these problems intentionally. The owner agreed to let us rent the condo but the Real Estate agent was against it from the beginning. I want to move out as soon as possible because I don't want to interfere with the owners potential sale but I do want to make things as uncomfortable as possible for the Real Estate agent. He has screwed up everything that he has been asked to do. In spite of that he acts like he's special and everyone should jump when he speaks. I also filed a complaint about this agent with the Baltimore Real Estate Commission.
    It's has been five weeks and we're still waiting to hear back from the bank on the offer we made to purchase another condo a Lighthouse Point. Baltimore real estate is in a mess. Everything is a short sale because the market was way over inflated and the banks are processing these transactions slowly.
    Brian took his test today and thought that he did well. Everything that my wife and I do in Baltimore is about making Brian feel secure and comfortable so that he can concentrate on his studies. Brian is trying to figure out how he has to adapt his normal study habits because of his injury. Spasms are a contant problem, he's taking the maximum Baclofin oral dose and that impairs is ability to concentrate. He wants to get the Baclofin pump to alleviate this problem. He's working hard doing his part. I'm mad that I can't get this housing issue settled so that he can have a place where he can live and concentrate on his studies.

Roger

Roger,
    You are correct, barging in at seven in the morning is totally unaccpetable, and I am glad you filed complaints. This guy should lose his license, or at least be heavily fined. What a nightmare this is, and I am so sorry that all of you and your wife's best efforts are being met with curve balls. I am sure that Brian knows how much you are trying to help him, however, and I so hope you hear something soon about the condo you are trying to purchase.

Roger, I hope that you get this housing problem resolved soon. As if dealing with an sci isn't enough, there are all these other battles to fight. Good luck to Brian with his studies!

Brian received a letter from the Gore Foundation located in Fort Lauderdale Florida. He applied for one of their scholarships earlier this year. Brian received a tuition awarded from the Gore Foundation for $15,000. The award is paid in two payments. The first semester $7500 and a second payment of $7500 for the second semester. This money can only be used for tuition which is no problem whatsoever.

We're still working on the housing situation. Today, my wife found out that there's another condo for rent just two floors below the condo that we're currently renting. My wife is in the process of finding out more about this rental. We've got to get out of the condo that we're currently renting we're past the breaking point with the aggravation caused by the owner's Realtor

Our offer to purchase the condo on the third floor is still being held up by the bank. It's unbelievable how screwed up real estate has become. We're pushing as hard as we possibly can to get this purchase completed.

All of this stuff is just noise. The most important thing is that Brian likes Hopkins and is doing well.

Roger

Roger, sorry to hear about the condo issue. I am glad that you filed the complain with the police department and to the real estate commission.
    Congratulation to Brian for the scholarship from Gore foundation. He is very smart young man and has a very supportive family.
    I just visited KKI on Monday and I hope to be able to bring my son there for more therapy..

Timo

That's great that you were at KKI. Brian was pleased with his recent therapy at KKI in July. The therapy outcome is very dependent on the therapist. Stephanie Jordan is the therapist that Brian worked with in July 2009.

Two years ago when Brian was at KKI he worked with three different therapist during the month that he was at KKI. Because the therapists were contantly being change he was not impressed with the therapy.

Roger

We have a resolution to our housing problem. The Realtor for the condo on the third floor, #306, told us that the bank has agreed to allow us to rent condo #306 while they consider our offer. This is the condo that in July we made an offer to purchase. We're optimistic that the bank will accepted our offer. There's some risk that we might have to move again but this seems to be the best of the available alternatives. I'm hoping that we get this purchase completed before the federal first time homeowners credit expires. The program ends November 30 unless it's extended.

Thursday night I'm flying to Baltimore and my wife and I will move everything on Friday. I want this to be transparent to Brian. When he returns from school on Friday everything will have been moved to the third floor condo. There are a couple of items that might be a little difficult to move but I think if I rent a couple of four wheel dollies from Home Depot I'll be able to move everything. Saturday we'll cleanup #734 and Sunday I have a man coming to clean the carpets. The condo has a light colored carpet and Brian's wheelchair has gotten the area near the door dirty. I want to put everything and everybody related to condo #734 way behind us. This has been a bad real estate experience.

Roger

Great news!
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Everything has been moved to the new condo. I started moving things Friday morning and finished moving the last items on Sunday afternoon. Moving always takes longer than you expect.

On Sunday I had scheduled to have company clean the carpets but they never showed so I went to Home Depot and got a carpet cleaner. At about 7:00 pm I finished cleaning the carpet and rushed the clearner back to Home Depot before they closed. Hopefully this housing issue is now settled and we'll eventually be able to purchase this condo. Brian really likes the new condo we're in now, it's much nicer that the other condo we rented. Even after the big drop in real estate values these condos still look over priced to me. It's the old real estate adage location location location.

Roger