Page 41 of 117 FirstFirst ... 31323334353637383940414243444546474849505191 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Roger: Really sorry to hear about Brian's AD. I can relate as mine has been unrelenting for the last month. In the future if he has bad AD, get the attending on call at KKI and let them know. They call ahead to Hopkins and the process is smoother and faster--just 4 hrs instead of 8 in the waiting room

Brian said he would call when you got to town and possibly we could meet for longer. Hope that can happen.

Sending lower blood pressure Brian's way.

B~
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I`m in Baltimore. Brian is back at the condo he was release from the hospital late this afternoon. My wife left Baltimore to go visit Ocean City New Jersey. When she was growing up her parents took her Ocean City every summer. When she was in college during the summers she worked as a waitress at one of the resort hotels.

It was pretty rough earlier in the week. Brian had a UTI which caused other problems which I`m sure that I don`t need to explain. Anyway he`s feeling much better and anxious for school to get started on Monday.

Cheesecake, I`ll be back in Baltimore over Labor Day. I come in late Friday and leave Wednesday morning if your schedule permits we can get together then. I hope that we hear something on the condo we`re trying to purchase by then. I have a list to things to fix before I leave Monday morning. The wheelchair caster is fixed which was on the top of the list. The next thing is the bedroom dresser. Brian ran into his dresser with the powerchair and broke some of the dresser frame. Its a dresser from IKEA that you put together and it`s made out of particle board. IKEA furniture is real junk but I`m not sure any piece of furniture would survive afer being hit my a 350 lbs powerchair driven by a 150 lbs driver.

Roger

Today was Brian's first day at Hopkins. The day was spent doing administrative paper work and student orientation medical school classes start Wednesday. I flew back to Phoenix from Baltimore early this morning. My wife said that Brian was feeling well this morning and really looking forward to school. When I arrived in Phoenix I called my wife to find out how things were going and she told me that she dropped Brian off this morning at 8:00 am and hadn't heard from him. She concluded that no news was good news. When Brian got done at 5:00 pm they called me and told me that everything at Hopkins had gone very well.

I flew back to Phoenix from Baltimore early this morning. Today was Brian's first day at Hopkins. The day was spent doing administrative paper work and student orientation. Medical school classes start Wednesday. My wife said that Brian was feeling well this morning and looking forward to school. When I arrived in Phoenix I called my wife to find out how things were going and she told me that she dropped Brian off this morning at 8:00 am and hadn't heard from him. She concluded that no news was good news. When Brian got done at 5:00 pm they called me and told me that everything at Hopkins had gone very well. The class was broken up into groups of five and then each group met with their advisor. Brian said that everyone was very supportive.

Over the weekend I got all of my jobs done. Brian’s dresser is all glued back together and I got the new HP all in one wireless printer installed. The printer is really nice because Brian can scan paper documents and put them directly into folders on his laptop. It has an automatic paper feed as well as a flat bed scanner. Its wireless so my wife can also print to it from her desktop computer. My next trip to Baltimore is on the Labor Day long weekend. Hopefully we’ll be able to move into the condo that we’re purchasing then. Getting settled in the condo that we’re purchasing is the next big task. The sellers Realtor thought that we might hear something this week from the seller’s bank. It’s a short sale so the bank has final approval.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 08-17-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Whoooo Hoooo! Day one of med school and it sounds like it went well. I am so very glad.

Roger, I would like to ask about Brian's hand. After the surgery at Stanford and therapy at KKI, do you feel Brian's hand function as you expect?

Timo:
    Brian gave me a demonstration of his grip, he has quite a grasp, much better than I do. I must say I was impressed. Brian only had one hand done I believe.

Roger: Let Brian know I thought of him yesterday and send positive vibes all day long. We were at KKI and passed the med school. I thought of Brian both while we were in rehab and heading in and out past the med school. Zman AND I talked about Brian starting yesterday.

Hi Eileen, Timo & Cheesecake

Day one went very well.

In regards to the hand surgery. Brian had surgery on his right arm. No surgery was done on his left arm. In total he had three surgeries on his right arm. One of the surgeries was to repair ruptured tendons in his right arm when a spasm caused him to fall out of his chair onto his right arm. The recovery process has been long and difficult, harder than Brian had anticipated.

Roger

Roger and Brian: Pulled up this page http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=77419&page=30 from Sept 4,2007. Funny what all can happen in 2 years. Even funnier that Lynette asks about you every time I see her.
    Wild to read backwards and to follow your journey. Thank you so much for sharing it.
    I'm not sure you realize how much hope this thread offers to folks who just arrive at CareCure. Many many thanks for showing the way.

Hi Cheesecake

The events that have occurred in the last 2+ years are a big blur for me. I would have to go back through the posts to remember all of the problems that we've confronted. There are still problems to overcome that are in front of us. Posting on Carecure has given me valuable suggestions on how to deal with problems. I'm not too proud to admit that I don't have all of the answers and I appreciate the suggestions that I receive. I should say thanks to the people who have posted replies on this thread. We would have been lost without there help.

I just talked to Brian, its 9:00 pm in Baltimore and he said that he had 70 more pages to read tonight. Friday the standing wheelchair was delivered that he'll use in the anatomy lab.

Roger

Brian has been working hard but he likes it and he feels confident that he can compete with the other students in his class. During the first two weeks they've been in the anatomy lab dissecting a cadaver. They started with the eyes then the heart and this week it's the digestive system.

Hopkins purchased a Permobil standing wheelchair that Brian uses in the anatomy lab. Brian worked with the Permobil salesman to select the chair and get all of the necessary accessories. His experiences working with the Baltimore Permobil salesman were not good. Brian felt that a $20,000-$30,000 piece of equipment should be complete and operate properly. Instead the standing wheelchair was delivered with parts missing and it pulled to the left. Brian told the salesman about the problems but he wouldn't listen and said that he should just use it for a couple of weeks. Brian sent his manager email and complained. Now the problems are getting solved. It's very frustrating when a salesman won't listen to his customer.

I talked to Brian this weekend and asked him if he was still impressed with the new Hopkins medical school building. He said that every aspect of the new building was designed to support the medical school curriculum. I go to Baltimore this weekend and I hope that I'll be able to go inside the new building.

Brian is making friends with his classmates but there are many places in Baltimore that are inaccessible. Brian feels awkward when he has to be carried up stairs to get into a restaurant or when he can't get into the restaurant's bathroom.

We're still waiting to hear from the Bank about our offer to purchase the condo at Lighthouse Point. It's a short sale and it takes a while before the bank gives their approval.

Roger