Page 39 of 117 FirstFirst ... 29303132333435363738394041424344454647484989 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

We had to get a case manager involved who worked out the details for us to go to KKI. Our case manager worked out a deal with our insurance/employer and Fred at KKI. It was a big relief to know that it was figured out before we left. Our issue was that BCBS of Arizona covers a different % and the reasonable amount also had to be negotiated.

Thanks Carolyn

Fred is the KKI financial advisor who wrote the information I posted. He obviously knows way more about this than I do and he tries to minimize the financial burden on the patients.

Roger

Our plans came a little unraveled yesterday. The movers called and said that Brian's furniture was still in Phoenix and would not be delivered to the condo in Baltimore until July 22 rather than Monday July 13. This messed up my plans to be in Baltimore from July 11-July 20 to help unpack.

Last night I called Southwest and changed my plane tickets so that I return to Phoenix on Tuesday July 14. I fly back to Baltimore on July 23. It was lucky that we had a Southwest Award Ticket that we were holding onto for an emergency. A short notice ticket is 3x-4x the cost of a ticket purchased with two weeks notice.

I also call RAC and arranged to rent bedroom and living room furniture for two weeks.
    The furniture will be delivered to the condo on Monday afternoon.

Brian called the movers today and read them the riot act because there is stuff in the boxes that he needs.

Roger

Damn Roger, that sucks. I hate movers. The same happened to me when I moved to Boston 17 years ago. I was pregnant and our things didn't arrive until a week late. WHen I complained, the guy threatened to dump my stuff off by the river. When he arrived, I was hit with an additional $1500.
    Karma turns out to be a bitch---he lost my certified check and tried to have it redone by the bank behind my back. They didn't do it. He got the amount that I agreed to and I reported him to Interstate Commerce.

Did I mention how much I hate movers????

Looking forward to meeting soon.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Hi Cheesecake

We moved into the Lighthouse Point condo today and RAC delivered furniture that we will use until Brian's furniture arrives next week. Brian had rehab at Kennedy Krieger today and starts again at 8:00 tomorrow. I'm flying back to Phoenix Tuesday afternoon, I will be returning to Baltimore July 23 hopefully after Brian's furniture arrives.

We have a parking and access problem that needs to be resolved at Lighthouse Point. Our Realtor asked the property manager if there was handicap parking that Brian could use and if they had a door with an automatic opener. There is handicap parking in the parking garage but we found out today that the portion of the parking garage that has three handicap parking spots is not part of the Lighthouse Point condo development. This was a big surprise because when we looked at the condo last May one of the big selling points was indoor handicap parking. The condo manager told me that each condo is assigned an indoor parking spot but none of them are handicap parking spots. She also said that the condo board did not have money in the budget to install an automatic door opener. She mentioned that there are outdoor handicap parking spots but they rent for $100 per month. I didn't want to argue with her over the telephone so I asked her to send Brian an email with the information that she told me verbally. She said that she would ask her boss to write the email. I will not be surprise if Brian does not receive an email. For some reason people will say things verbally that they won't write. I found the property managers uncompromising tone to be very annoying. She gave me the impression that she fully expected this to be the last word on these subjects. Obviously I don't think that this is the final word on these subjects.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 07-14-2009 at 01:04 AM.

Roger, the condo that I bought a couple of years ago has outside HP parking (considered for guests) and a garage that is for residents that has no HP parking designated. I simply insisted that I get a designated spot on the end of the row so that no one could obstruct my ramp deploying. Maybe that can work for Brian?

Eileen

I agree a parking spot on the end would solve the parking problem. I was looking in the parking garage for possibilities. After Brian's car arrives this week we'll show the property manager the problem with the ramp.

Unfortunately the young girl who is the property manager doesn't seem very creative about of solving problems. Her style is more along the lines that when you mention a problem she recites the rules that she has been given to enforce. Possibly it was the way our Realtor presented the problems to her before we moved into the condo. We will figure something. I just find it annoying when someone who should be helping to find the solution becomes part of the problem.

Roger

I returned to Phoenix today on an early flight from Baltimore. Brian's furniture is suppose to arrive tomorrow July 28. The movers picked the furniture up in Phoenix on July 6 and told us that it would take one week for it to be delivered in Baltimore. Obviously that was not correct. Tomorrow the furniture rental company is picking up the rental furniture at 10:00 am and the mover is suppose to deliver Brian's furniture in the afternoon. We'll see how that all works out. I'm going back to Baltimore Thursday night and will return to Phoenix next Monday morning.

We still have issues to resolve in Baltimore but the rehab at Kennedy Krieger is going well. Brian really likes the physical therapist because she can explain why she doing each exercise. It bothers Brian when he's working with a therapist who doesn't understand what and why they're doing the exercises. He can be a pain because he asks probing questions to test to see if you know why you're doing each exercise. If you try to snow him with a made up answer he'll know and conclude that you don't really understand what you're doing.

Last week we had good news from Blue Cross. They agreed to pay for the additional therapy sessions at KKI. Their favorable decision was influence by the fine documentation that was submitted by the physical therapist at KKI. I was at KKI with Brian on Thursday and Friday. Brian had therapy in the pool from 8:30-9:30, hand therapy from 10:00-11:00 and physical therapy from 1:00-4:00. All of the therapy is in a brand new facility that KKI just opened. The pools are on the top floor and are unique. There are two pools each with a platform that covers the entire bottom of the pool. The platform can be raised or lowered to make the pool the desired depth for the therapy that's being done. There are underwater video cameras that record the therapy session on a DVD. I'm pleased that Brian decided to go to KKI prior to starting school. I think it was a excellent decision.

On Saturday we looked at another condo on the third floor at Lighthouse Point. The interior appointments of this condo are much nicer than the condo that we're currently living in on the seventh floor. Today we withdrew the offer on the seventh floor condo and we're going to make an offer on the third floor condo. The third floor condo is more expensive but I believe that the superior quality and increased size of the third floor condo is worth the extra money. There are several advantages: the master bathroom is much larger and will require only a minor modification to make the shower a roll in shower, the main living room has hardwood flooring, the eat in kitchen has an island at the correct height for Brian to use, the master bathroom has a double sink vanity that I can modify so that Brian can roll under one of the sinks. The only modifications that we need to do are: put hardwood flooring in the master bedroom and minor modifications to the master bathroom shower. The third floor condo is part of the Beacon condo association rather than the Lighthouse Point condo association I'm hoping that they will be more agreeable to working out a solution to the accessible parking problem. This time we'll handle the parking problem ourselves and keep the Realtor out of it. I think the way the Realtor presented the accessibility problem was too abrupt and resulted in the condo management taking an uncooperative stance.

Roger

Roger, I am glad to hear about the Blue Cross is paying for the therapy at KKI. It seems thing is working out well in Baltimore.

Roger, I love reading your posts. You and your son are so amazing. Our daughter worked with Robin when we were at KKI last March. She was so great!. We are hoping to get back and work with her again. If you see Robin say Hi from us. I think she will remember our crazy Jessica.

Carolyn