Page 33 of 117 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738394041424383 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Amazing thread. Cheesecake and KLD are walking info centers.Roger,I wish every SCI had your son's fmly support and determination. I would love to meet KLD away from the hospital. lol

Handsome Wheeler

You are absolutely right. Cheesecake, KLD and all of the other CareCure members have helped us immensely and everyone in my family has pulled together to get through this crisis. My wife gave up her job, my daughter left bible college and came home for a year to help. Many of Brian's friends have come and continue to come to visit him during the last 2 years. Last weekend Brian's friend Danny was here from Salt Lake another friend from San Diego visited on Monday.

Last night we finalized our plans for the Hopkins revisit on April 17-19. Brian and my wife will travel to Baltimore on Wednesday and I'll go on Thursday afternoon. We all will return to Phoenix Sunday evening. It's a very busy schedule of events at Hopkins for Brian on Friday and Saturday. We're hoping to find out about accessible housing for Brian during our visit.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 04-02-2009 at 05:39 PM.

Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation

It was really nice to see your son Brian featured in the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation newsletter.

Here's the link to the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation newsletter that has a brief article about Brian. March has been rough month I'm looking forward to some really good things happening in April.

Brian has been talking to Cheesecake about accessible housing in Baltimore, she lives in Baltimore. In two weeks we're going to Baltimore for Brian to attend a Hopkins revisit. While Brian is at the Hopkins events I'll be looking at apartments and condos. Cheesecake suggested that based on the current real estate market it might be better to buy a condo rather than renting an apartment. Then we would be able to make any modifications necessary to make it accessible. We've started to investigate that possibility.

Brian is still waiting to hear back from Stanford he could hear something in the next two weeks.

Roger

http://www.kintera.org/cms.asp?id=71...E&auid=4654482

Brian just got a rejection letter from Stanford he's really not that disappointed. In the last few days Brian was getting excited again about going to Hopkins. Earlier today I contacted a Realtor in Baltimore and inquired about buying a condo in Baltimore. Next week when we're in Baltimore for the Hopkins revisit we will start looking at condos.

Dr. Lee, one of the doctors Brian met at Hopkins, told Brian that he lives in the Canton district which is only 5 minutes from the medical school. I searched the Internet this morning for condos in the Baltimore Canton district and found several possibilities. A couple of years ago these same two bedroom condos sold for about $325,000 now they're asking $200,000. Certainly not cheap but a lot less than what they were selling for two years ago.

I'm glad that the school decision has been made now we can move onto the next task of finding suitable housing.

Roger

Things have gotten very busy. Last Thursday Brian talked to the counselor from AZ Vocation Rehab who has met with twice previously. Last July the counselor told my wife and Brian that AZ Voc Rehab would pay for all of Brian's medical school expenses. Last Thursday she completely repudiated that statement. In fact she denied even meeting a second time late last fall. The bottom line is that there is NO MONEY for new clients.

Brian originally found out about the Client Assistance Program from a seminar that he attended last June. The speaker was John Gutierrez - Coordinator of the Client Assistance Program. Mr. Gutierrez was out of town when Brian called last week but he is suppose to be back on Tuesday. We will work our way through this but it came as a real big let down from what we were told by the same counselor last July.

Besides that Brian has been busy talking to various people in Baltimore. Cheesecake got the ball rolling for Brian today, thanks again for all of your help Cheesecake. Brian wants to go to Baltimore early in July and spend a month a KKI doing out-patient rehab. He's knows that he has lost a lot of strength because of the inactivity resulting from the tendon transfer surgery. Cheesecake emailed the people at KKI and the response from them was very favorable. It's not a done deal yet but it's very encouraging.

This weekend when we're in Baltimore my primary task is to find a condo that we can afford to purchase. Last week I searched the Internet for condos in the Baltimore Canton district. I found one condo development that we can afford it's called Lighthouse Point. There are about ten condos for sale at Lighthouse Point and they're asking approximately $200,000. Brian called a doctor at Hopkins who has offered to give Brian advice about getting settled. Brian asked the doctor if he knew anything about Lighthouse Point and the doctor replied that he lives at Lighthouse Point and it's very nice. Lighthouse Point is now at the top of our list. We're meeting with a realtor on Saturday to look at the available condos at Lighthouse Point.

Roger

I talked to others yesterday and today who are Hopkins doctors, med students, fellows, etc. Each said the building and location is a good choice. Canton square is where all the pubs etc are and is up the road. Looney's Pub is there, it was featured in a firefighter movie with John Travolta. The sidewalks are crap but it is an all around good area. Lots of students, doctors, etc. As I told Brian, it is a good piece of property and will be easy to get a roomate with a 7 minute drive to the hospital. Also, Fels Point is near by and is one of the few areas in Baltimore I really like.

I live in MD, not Baltimore and it is a city I avoid because of traffic, etc. Canton is a nice area so if you can swing the condo, it will pay for itself in 4 yrs and I do hope the housing market will take an upward swing by then. Rent in Baltimore is generally around 1000 a month for a 1 bedroom dump. Demand is high because of the students.

Hope it works out and that we get to meet in July.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Roger,

Hello. I am just now getting onto Care Cure and seeing your request for program information. I am a physical therapist with 30 years history of working, studying and teaching about spinal cord injury recovery. All programs are not the same for SCI recovery and I suggest you use the 8 essential component model as template for looking at the programs you are interested in…..Good luck with your research. Susan

COMPARE PHYSICAL THERAPY PROGRAMS
    Physical therapy (PT) emerged out of the post polio era focusing on bracing, electrical stimulation and exercise. Current physical therapy programs have progressed these three components in various fashions to expand their effectiveness. In 2009 I believe there are 8 essential components necessary for a complete Spinal Cord Recovery Program.
    What are the 8 essential components?

• Integrative Manual Therapy (IMT) – A hands on approach to affecting the structural integrity of a person’s anatomy and physiology, developed by Dr. Sharon Giammatteo. IMT for shifting a person’s external alignments and internal environments is the key component for recovery.

• Sensory Assimilation – A hands on approach to rekindle a person’s sensory receptors and pathways.

• Integrative Applied Psychosynthesis – A branch of IMT, that includes Neurofascial Process, combines with anatomic visualization, mind body dialoguing, and journaling, is utilized to strengthen the person’s participation and control of their positive outcomes.

• Biophysiography – The elimination of contaminants, addictives, and allergens from a person’s diet, while fortifying their intake of nutritional support to optimize their recovery process.

• Cold Laser – Light therapy for reducing inflammation, facilitating wound care, and providing muscle skeletal injury management has advanced in physical therapy programs. France was the first to utilize light therapy for the direct stimulation of acupressure points and the treatment of spinal cord and peripheral nerve injuries.

• Bracing and KinesiotapingExternal alignment, first for safety and second for stimulation of physiology is an essential component in all rehabilitation from paralysis.

• Electrical Stimulation – Neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) which causes a muscular contraction, along with transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) which numbs a region, have been established protocols in PT for many decades. Dr. Karen Pape’s work on Threshold electrical stimulation (TES) for the sensory development, physiologic stimulation and muscle growth in adults and children with muscle weakness is an essential component of recovery from severe weakness and full paralysis.

• Stage Focused Exercise Progression – A developmental approach to exercise progression that assesses a person’s unique Stage of Recovery, and focuses the exercise perimeters to build off of the individuals strengths to move to the next Stage. The Stages of Recovery, as well as the Stage Focused Exercise Progressions, were first described by Dr. Susan Leger.

Sorry to hear about the problem with AZ Vocational Rehab. and the funding for medical school. Things never go as smoothly as they should and I hope that you can get this worked out. It's exciting to hear that Brian is going to John Hopkins. I wish him all the best!

Tomorrow we leave for Baltimore for the Hopkins revisit. Brian has been in contact with several agencies in Baltimore dealing with housing issues. Cheesecake has been giving Brian suggestions on the housing, particularly where not to live.

We're setup with a Realtor to look at condos at Lighthouse Point in downtown Baltimore on Saturday. We've also been talking to a mortgage broker to get pre-qualified for a mortgage. Brian has excellent credit but the problem might be that his disability payments are not enough to qualify for the condo payments. The main problem is property taxes in Baltimore are way HIGH. For a 1100 sq ft condo at Lighthouse Point the current property taxes are $7700/year. I compare this to the property taxes for our house in Phoenix which are $1300/year. Taxes plus the condo association fee will cost about $1000/month. The mortgage principle and interest is another $1000/month. The total payment for the condo will be about $2000/month unless we come up with a HUGE down payment.

Brian talked to John Gutierrez - Coordinator of the Client Assistance Program today. Mr. Gutierrez said that AZ Voc Rehab stopped taking new clients in February for about three weeks. New client programs have now been restarted. Brian is going to talk with Mr. Guiterrez again next week and hopefully AZ Voc Rehab will be able to provide the assistance that they told us they would last year.

The next five days are going to be a busy. We get back from Baltimore Sunday night. Monday morning Brian and my wife fly to Stanford to have the cast removed from Brian's right arm.

Roger