Page 32 of 117 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Brian is recovering from the hand surgery he had on Tuesday. He's trying to minimize the amount of pain pills because they cause other problems. Recently he has been editing some articles for Emedicine.com and doing a little work for a doctor at Barrows.

Today, Brian received a letter from the USC medical school inviting him for an interview. I was surprised because I thought the interviews were done. He's trying to decide if he wants to interview there. I think the main reason he's interested in USC is because Los Angeles is an accessible city.

Roger
    Glad to hear that the surgery went well & Brian is now recovering. Please tell him for me as he's messaged me that I'm wishing him a speedy & full recovery. I hope he decides to interview at USC as it would be nice for him to live in an accessible city. Hope you have or had a safe trip back home to Arizona.
    Take care Roger & thanks for the update.

Brian has decided to turn down the interview at USC. He's currently waiting to hear back from Stanford and the University of California San Francisco. As I've mentioned previously he has been accepted at Johns Hopkins. All of the drama will be over by the end of April. Sometime around April 9 he's suppose to hear back from Stanford. UCSF told Brian that he's on their high priority wait list and they will get back to him by the end of April. Who knows what high priority wait list means? It could just be a feel good name that UCSF puts on their wait list.

Last week the desk where Brian was working collapsed. It's an IKEA desk that one of Brian's friends put together for him. Evidently the screws that attached the desk top to a bookcase were not tightened properly. It was no big deal except when the desktop fell to the floor a cup of water spilled on Brian's laptop computer. The water got inside the laptop case and fried the motherboard. It was too expensive to replace the motherboard so Brian brought a new Toshiba laptop.

Unfortunately the story didn't quite end there the Toshiba laptop has the latest VISTA 64 bit operating system. Brian really likes the new laptop but we found out that Dragon Naturally Speaking doesn't run on a 64 bit system. I thought I knew quite a bit about computer but there's always something else to learn. Today Brian is returning the Toshiba laptop to Best Buy and picking out a laptop with a 32 bit operating system. This sounds like a soap opera.

Roger

Wow, Rodger, when it rains it pours? I can't believe the desk collapsed. I am a fan of IKEA too, so it pains me to say that must have been very poorly designed. Hoping "high priority wait list" really means what it says!

Eileen

The desk collapsing was not a design problem it collapsed because Brian's friend didn't tighten the bolts properly. The whole incident was really no big deal other than water spilling on the laptop and frying the motherboard. We're trying to get the important files on the hard drive transferred to a CD. This has proven to be more difficult because Brian's laptop had Etoken security. This was a laptop that Brian used when he worked for a medical consulting company in San Francisco. He had patients medical records on the laptop so it had to have good security.

Brian took the Toshiba laptop with the 64 bit operating system back to Best Buy and exchanged it for a laptop with a 32 bit operating system. The new laptop is a little larger than the original Toshiba laptop but it will be fine.

Roger

Glad to know the laptop return was done, and also glad to know I don't have to look at any of my IKEA purchases wondering when they will collapse!

I hate to write about set backs but everyone should know that the progress Brian is making is not a straight line. Last Saturday injured his right arm. He was falling over backward while coming us a ramp from the patio to the living room. He used his right arm to break the fall. Right away he saw swelling in right forearm. He didn't do anything initially accept take some aspirin.

On Wednesday, when there was still swelling, Brian called the surgeon at Stanford who operated on his arm and told him about the accident. The surgeon told Brian to come to Stanford immediately so he could examine the arm. On Thursday morning Brian and Ann flew to Stanford. The doctor determined that Brian had torn some tendons and it was necessary to operate to repair the damage. The doctor operated Thursday afternoon and repaired the three tendons that were torn. Brian and Ann are returning to Phoenix late Friday afternoon.

This is a setback but the damage is repaired and we're going to move forward. The first thing is Brian is going to use the power chair 100% of the time until his arm is healed. The other thing is I'm going to fix the wheelchair wheelies so that he doesn't tip over backward again. The little buttons that hold the wheelies in position are no good. When pressure is applied to the wheelies they just slide or turn out of the way. I'm going to buy pull pins that will securely hold the wheelies in position. This last week has not been good.

Tonight one of Brian's friends from college is flying to Phoenix to visit for the weekend. I know that Brian has been looking forward to Danny's visit.

Roger

Ouch. So sorry to hear of this setback, but glad to know the tendon damage has been repaired. The use of a power chair until everything is totally healed seems like a good idea. I know what you mean about the wheelies on the back tubes. One of mine just swings in any direction, so it would be pretty useless if the chair flipped. Please tell Brian we wish him well.

Roger: I am glad you wrote about the setback but sorry to hear about Brian's damage to his arm. It is great that he could get a flight out to the surgeon and have it fixed so quickly. Isn't this the arm he had his tendon transfer done on?

Life with SCI is never a straight line and it is the annoying things like not being able to catch your laptop or a 32 bit vs 64 bit for for Dragon that can drive you crazy as well as become discouraging.

Tell Brian I said hello and that he is in my thoughts. Will you still be in Baltimore for orientation? Let me know and if I am intown, I will make a point to try to see them.

I am around the Harbor/Marriott on the afternoon of the 19th as my Uncle is at the Dental Convention.
    Last edited by cheesecake; 03-28-2009 at 11:44 AM.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Cheesecake

The injury was to the arm that had the tendon transfer. You're right about the surgeon at Stanford he operated on Brian the day after Brian called him.

We got the laptop issue all resolved. I called Nuance and found out that the 64 bit version of Dagon Naturally Speaking will be available starting March 31. Brian called and ordered a copy. Then Brian went back to Best Buy and got the smaller Tosihba laptop that he wanted that had the 64 bit operating system.

Brian is still planning on going to the Hopkins orientation weekend April 17-19.

Roger

Roger, great pic of Brian on today's Reeve Foundation mailing!