Page 30 of 117 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Alright!!

I suspect that the amount of excitement/anxiety/frustration Brian and your family must be feeling is great.... What a tumultuous time for you. Even harder because of Brian's post-operative challenges..... Hang in their Brian. This will all be worth it. And it will get better soon.

But again, I have to say.... alright!! Well done.

First, how great is it to have Johns Hopkins as your fallback school? Fabulous. An incredible opportunity. But it's still ok to ask for more, if you have multiple priorities in choosing a med school...

I suspected that the delay in hearing from UCSF was that Brian might be in the "waiting list" bunch. Ugh. But honestly.... this is still good news. Since UCSF is such a highly regarded school, many people who live on the East coast apply to it. But strangely enough, many east-coasters realize when they are making their final decisions (?Hopkins or UCSF...... Harvard or UCSF.....) that they want to stay on the East coast and they turn down UCSF. So holes do open up.

But regardless of the UCSF situation, I encourage Brian to go into his Stanford interview wired and ready. Stanford is also a wonderful possibility and if Brian still feels staying on the West coast is a priority, I think it's really something to consider seriously.

Also think about poking around in an anatomy review book after you finish your physiology course, since you are likely zooming through it. Anatomy is just something you have to memorize, and repeated exposure can help a lot. NETTER is the bible (just pictures though - it will be indispensible during your anatomy dissection course), and you could think about getting "Clinical anatomy made ridiculously simple" for a silly but at times useful overview of the basics.

Good luck Brian.
    Well done Brian's dad.

Found this today, great job Brian. http://www.christopherreeve.org/site..._Waldersen.htm

Every day I wake up is a good one

This is very good news. Thank you for sharing. I also printed the article above so my son and my husband can read it.

hlh, it's unbelievable to call Hopkins a backup. Hopkins is the #1 rated medical school in the US and in a survey I saw on the internet it's the top medical degree in the world. When Brian interviewed there they treated him very well. My wife has been making the case that Brian should go to Hopkins because all of the people he talked to there acted like they wanted him to come to school there. She didn't have the same feelings about UCSF.

Thursday, Brian and Ann go to back to Stanford for the day to have the cast removed. Unfortunately the surgeon insisted that Brian have the cast removed at Stanford rather than by a doctor in Phoenix.

On March 8, Brian and Ann will make another trip to Stanford for two things. On March 9 Brian has an interview at the Stanford Medical School and on March 10 he has the second surgery to complete the tendon transfer procedure on his right hand. I'll be flying to Stanford in the afternoon of March 9 so that I can help get Brian back to the hotel after the on March 10 surgery. We all fly back to Phoenix on Wednesday March 11.

Cheesecake, I hope you're happy. I'm going broke flying back and forth to San Jose rather than driving. Just kidding I'm sure that you're right about flying rather than driving.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 02-10-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Roger, you will accumulate more mileage points by flying.

Cheesecake, I hope you're happy. I'm going broke flying back and forth to San Jose rather than driving. Just kidding I'm sure that you're right about flying rather than driving.
    Sorry Roger. I do have Southwest frequent flyer pts I would gladly transfer to you.

The worst case of AD I ever had was after arm reconstruction. They did my wrist as well as an ulnar nerve transposition. Thought I was going to die in just the 45 minute drive home from the hospital.

The next surgery will be more painful for Brian than the first. When all is said and done, you will be happy you did it this way. Also, the air fare/travel for medical is a tax deduction, keep track.

On a happier note, think of the cost flying back and forth to se Brian at medical school!

Cheesecake

You're absolutely right. Buying a ticket to Baltimore to visit Brian will give me great joy and pride. The cost is meaningless.

Roger

Brian and my wife returned to Phoenix from Stanford last night at about 6:30 pm. They went to Stanford to have the cast removed from Brian hand, everything is fine. They flew into San Francisco because US Airways had the cheapest ticket. Unfortunately the 21 mile cab ride from San Francisco to Palo Alto was $90. The San Francisco cabs charge 1 1/2 times the usual rate when they leave the San Francisco city limits.

I just found out that they could have taken a Super Shuttle accessible van for $34 each way 2 people. Next month when we to back to Stanford we're flying into San Jose but Super Shuttle doesn't serve San Jose.

Roger

I just saw on the news that President Obama is going to be in Mesa AZ on Wednesday speaking at the high school that Brian attended. This is only 2 miles from our house. My wife is going to Dobson High School tomorrow to try to get a ticket to attend President Obama's speech on Wednesday. It would be great if Brian could ask President Obama when he is going to remove the restrictions on embryonic stem cell research imposed by President Bush.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Brian and my wife returned to Phoenix from Stanford last night at about 6:30 pm. They went to Stanford to have the cast removed from Brian hand, everything is fine. They flew into San Francisco because US Airways had the cheapest ticket. Unfortunately the 21 mile cab ride from San Francisco to Palo Alto was $90. The San Francisco cabs charge 1 1/2 times the usual rate when they leave the San Francisco city limits.

I just found out that they could have taken a Super Shuttle accessible van for $34 each way 2 people. Next month when we to back to Stanford we're flying into San Jose but Super Shuttle doesn't serve San Jose.

Roger
    Right now Southwest to San Jose is the least expensive. Let me look into the super shuttle, I believe there is one. I lived in SF for grad school and SJ in my first marriage many many moons and decades ago. My brother is still there so let me see what I can find for you.

On the bright side, that cab fare is a tax deduction! SO is a rental for medical purposes. I would be asking Stanford for transportation suggestions. Does Brian have a ID for disabled fare? He may be able to use paratransit but it bites between SJ and Palo Alto.

Only good cab driver I know is in Baltimore :-) She asks about you guys and Dogger too. I hate to have to tell her that news.

Best,