Page 29 of 117 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637383979 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Hi Roger,
    Even when your posts talk of Brian's temporary despondency they encourage me, and others too, so much with both his and your determination to just keep pushing forward with determination and courage. The ceiling lift is great, and I am so happy it is working out to make it physically and emotionally easier. I have my fingers crossed that the letter from UCSF arrives soon with a letter of acceptance. The two of you must be building up a lot of frequent flyer miles!

The good news today is that there was no rejection letter from UCSF in today's mail. This is not conclusive but it is encouraging.

Brian heard on StudentDoctor.net that UCSF is sending acceptance letters out starting next Wednesday.

Just to clarify, Brian is having the tendon transfer only on his right hand. The procedure requires two surgeries. Brian had the first surgery on Jan 14 the second surgery will be on March 10.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 01-24-2009 at 11:21 PM.

Today is Monday and still no rejection letter from UCSF. Each day that goes by without a rejection letter from UCSF is more encouraging. Brian thinks he might hear postive news by Friday.

Brian received a rejection letter from UCLA today.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Today is Monday and still no rejection letter from UCSF. Each day that goes by without a rejection letter from UCSF is more encouraging. Brian thinks he might hear postive news by Friday.

Brian received a rejection letter from UCLA today.

Roger
    Sorry to hear that Brian received a rejection letter from UCLA yesterday.
    Hopefully he will recieve an acceptance letter from UCSF where it is his dream to attend medical school. Is the the John Hopkins offer still standing for him to attend medical school there?

Brian has accepted the Hopkins position. As I understand the process he can reconsider if he gets accepted at a school that he would prefer to attend. I want to make it clear Brian is thrilled with being accepted at Hopkins and would attend school there in a heart beat if it were not for climate and how his body reacts to temperatures after the SCI.

Being rejected at UCLA was not really a big deal after you've been accepted at Hopkins. Brian applied at UCLA because he knew that Los Angeles would be an easy city for him to function in.

Roger

Fingers crossed (well, metaphorically )

Still no word from UCSF. We're confused it seems like Brian should have heard something one way or the other. I can't report any more than we're waiting to hear something.

One thing I can say for sure is that it's a much easier for Brian to wait when he knows that he's been accepted at Hopkins. If he's not accepted anywhere else it doesn't really matter. He'll just swallow his pride and go to the one of the best, if not the top, medical school in the country.

Roger

No pride swallowing necessary. Hopkins is a great place and thousands of future docs would be jealous of his acceptance!

Still no word from the UCSF medical school. I really thought that Brian would have heard something by now.

Brian is going back to Stanford on Feb 12 to have the cast removed. So far so good with the recovery but I think that it's been more difficult than Brian expected. He's still living next door but my wife sleeps over there every night. It takes two surgeries to complete the procedure the second surgery is scheduled for March 10.

A family from our church gave us a ceiling mounted electric lift that they no longer used. I installed the lift in the bathroom and we use it to transfer from the wheelchair to the shower bench. If we didn't have the lift it would have been a nightmare because the bathroom is not large enough. The electric lift saved us.

Brian is taking a self paced on-line physiology class from UC Berkeley. He's been working on the class pretty hard and is about half way through the material. At this rate he'll finish the class much sooner than expected.

Roger

Yesterday Brian received two letters. The first letter was from the University of Arizona medical school in Tucson AZ. He was accepted at the U of A medical school.

The second letter was from the University of California at San Francisco medical school. They told him that he was qualified to enter their medical school but they would not have a final determination until the end of April. What we interpret this to mean is that he's on the UCSF wait list. If enough people turn down UCSF then Brian might be accepted.

Roger