Page 28 of 117 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Best luck to Brian on his upcoming surgery. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayer. Have a safe trip.

Hi Brian and Roger: Thought of you all day yesterday as well as today as you fly home. Sending healing vibes your way.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Just talked to Brian and his mom. They're still in Cali but flying home today. He sounded great!
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Thanks everyone for you well wishes.

Brian had the surgery Tuesday and everything went well. We got back to Phoenix Wednesday night. The surgery was at the Stanford hospital. Now here's a good one. Today, Brian got an email from the Stanford Medical School inviting him for an interview. Brian has to go back to Stanford on Feb 14 to have the cast removed it would save $600 if he could do the medical school interview on the same trip.

Roger

Roger

Roger, that is the fantastic news about the surgery and the interview.

It's been a week since the initial surgery and it's been a little rough. Brian is discouraged because he has become dependent again. He's living next door but my wife sleeps over there each night.

The best thing that I've done recently is installing the ceiling mounted uni-lift in the bathroom. It would have been very difficult to transfer Brian from the wheel chair to the shower bench without the lift. With the lift my wife can easily transfer Brian to the shower bench by herself. We avoided a major nightmare by having the ceiling mounted lift.

For the last six months a nurse has come to our home three times a week to help. Unfortunately during the last two weeks she has become unreliable. Four times in the last two week she has called and canceled at the last moment. It's time to find another nurse.

I'm sharing these things on Carecure just to let everyone know that we have good and bad moments. Fortunately with persistence and determination the bad moments becoming less and the good moments becoming better. We're going to get through this nightmare because I know that Dr. Young and Dr. Davies will develop a treatment to help everyone with a spinal cord injuries. That's the reason that I'm on Carecure many times every day watching for the latest development.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    It's been a week since the initial surgery and it's been a little rough. Brian is discouraged because he has become dependent again. He's living next door but my wife sleeps over there each night.

The best thing that I've done recently is installing the ceiling mounted uni-lift in the bathroom. It would have been very difficult to transfer Brian from the wheel chair to the shower bench without the lift. With the lift my wife can easily transfer Brian to the shower bench by herself. We avoided a major nightmare by having the ceiling mounted lift.

For the last six months a nurse has come to our home three times a week to help. Unfortunately during the last two weeks she has become unreliable. Four times in the last two week she has called and canceled at the last moment. It's time to find another nurse.

I'm sharing these things on Carecure just to let everyone know that we have good and bad moments. Fortunately with persistence and determination the bad moments becoming less and the good moments becoming better. We're going to get through this nightmare because I know that Dr. Young and Dr. Davies will develop a treatment to help everyone with a spinal cord injuries. That's the reason that I'm on Carecure many times every day watching for the latest development.

Roger
    Roger,
    Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear that Brian feels discouraged again because he has become dependent again. Please remind him that it is only temporary & I feel confident that things will be better after the cast is taken off. That's great news that he recieved word that the med school in California has called him for an interview. Hope he will have it when he goes back to Standford to have the cast taken off of his hand. Please tell him I said HELLO ! & to please e-mail me thru Care Cure when he feels up to it.
    Thanks again Roger for the update on your fantastic son.

Bob S.
    Oldsmar, Fl

Roger, Thanks for all that you share here on CareCure. It helps so many of us to hear about the good and bad moments that others go through and to know that we are not alone. That hope for a treatment helps keep us going. I hope for a day in my life, when I don't have to think about a cure for my son and everyone else with SCI.

So Roger, did the news today about the first FDA approved study make you smile? It is for acutes now but chronics will happen soon.

Give Brian my best and tell him it does get easier. I know when my right arm was reconstructed and I had a child in diapers still, I didn't think it would ever end. It did and was worth it in the end. Your family is in my thoughts.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Yes, Cheesecake the Geron clinical trial did bring a smile to all of our faces. I can't believe that it was a little over a year ago that we visited Dr. Keirstead's lab at UC Irvine. Four days after Bush is out of office the FDA approves the clinical trial. That seems like politics and it makes me angry.

On CNBC this morning I watched an interview of the Geron CEO. They asked him if he thought that the FDA had played politics by waiting to approve the trial until after Bush was out of office. Of course he had to say that he had no evidence showing that the FDA approval was linked to Bush leaving office.

Brian is doing all right but it bothers him being so dependent again. He goes back to Stanford in early February to have the cast removed. Then on March 9 Brian goes back to Stanford for the medical school interview on the next day March 10 he has the second surgery.

Brian found out today from the StudentDoctor.net website that the UCSF medical school sent out rejection letters on Jan 21. Acceptance letters are going out shortly. Some applicants who live in San Francisco have already received their rejection letter. Brian checked the mail several time today but there was no letter from UCSF. If there's no letter tomorrow's from UCSF that would be encouraging.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 01-24-2009 at 11:20 PM.