Page 27 of 117 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Susan about Physical Therapy Models for SCI

Roger,

I am sorry to hear about your son's injury. He is fortunate to have you researching the options that are out there. I am a PT and I completed my dissertation on SCI recovery in 2004. The models for rehabilitation of SCI have grown over the past two decades. Almost all facilities have a strong exercise component with sprinkling of other strengths. These other components are what I suggest you look into when deciding where to go for PT for your son.

I have found that there are at least six components necessary for a person with SCI to move into a Self Correction Mode: 1. Stage Focused Exercise (at least 3 hours of movement per day appropriate for the Stage of Recovery the person is currently at), 2. Electrical Stimulation (both Neuromuscular causing a muscle to contract and Threshold for physiology and sensory stimulation), 3. Sensory Preparation (multiple facets including brushing and vibration, placed just prior to exercise to awaken the sensory receptors), 4. Laser (to accelerate the healing process),
    5. Biophysiography (nutritional components in and elimination of 'garbage' out from the body), and 6. Structural hands-on therapy (to align and connect the anatomy, as well as drain and stimulate the physiology, with the goal of optimizing structural integrity).

I currently have 7 persons active in our SCI Recovery Program with C6 or higher level lesions. Most started at Stage 2 (little triceps and no ability to sit or transfer independently). Recently, one of these (a gentlemen in his sixties who was diagnosed 2 years ago with a C6 complete injury) just walked 120 feet around our facility, with the aid of knee immobilizers, ankle foot orthoses, a gait trainer and assist for forward leg progression. This particular man started our program with significant pain and no triceps, and with structural integrity work, laser, biophysiography, electrical stim, and sensory, he now bench presses over 100 pounds and transfers himself independently.

Most of our patients are willing to provide email addresses. One of our Never Ever Boys, Colin, has a thread on Care Cure called 'My Path of Recovery' (search on the home screen to find). Colin fractured his C4 and has made excellent and continued progress....

Anyway, please let me know if there is any way I can be of help. Keep researching and the very best of luck.

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by CenterIMT Atlanta View Post
    Roger,

I am sorry to hear about your son's injury. He is fortunate to have you researching the options that are out there. I am a PT and I completed my dissertation on SCI recovery in 2004. The models for rehabilitation of SCI have grown over the past two decades. Almost all facilities have a strong exercise component with sprinkling of other strengths. These other components are what I suggest you look into when deciding where to go for PT for your son.

I have found that there are at least six components necessary for a person with SCI to move into a Self Correction Mode: 1. Stage Focused Exercise (at least 3 hours of movement per day appropriate for the Stage of Recovery the person is currently at), 2. Electrical Stimulation (both Neuromuscular causing a muscle to contract and Threshold for physiology and sensory stimulation), 3. Sensory Preparation (multiple facets including brushing and vibration, placed just prior to exercise to awaken the sensory receptors), 4. Laser (to accelerate the healing process),
    5. Biophysiography (nutritional components in and elimination of 'garbage' out from the body), and 6. Structural hands-on therapy (to align and connect the anatomy, as well as drain and stimulate the physiology, with the goal of optimizing structural integrity).

I currently have 7 persons active in our SCI Recovery Program with C6 or higher level lesions. Most started at Stage 2 (little triceps and no ability to sit or transfer independently). Recently, one of these (a gentlemen in his sixties who was diagnosed 2 years ago with a C6 complete injury) just walked 120 feet around our facility, with the aid of knee immobilizers, ankle foot orthoses, a gait trainer and assist for forward leg progression. This particular man started our program with significant pain and no triceps, and with structural integrity work, laser, biophysiography, electrical stim, and sensory, he now bench presses over 100 pounds and transfers himself independently.

Most of our patients are willing to provide email addresses. One of our Never Ever Boys, Colin, has a thread on Care Cure called 'My Path of Recovery' (search on the home screen to find). Colin fractured his C4 and has made excellent and continued progress....

Anyway, please let me know if there is any way I can be of help. Keep researching and the very best of luck.

Susan

susan i have appt with you 12/29 3pm

Brian has scheduled the tendon transfer surgery for Jan 13 at Stanford. The first operation relieves the tension in finger tendons. The doctor told Brian that the surgery takes approximately 1 1/2 hours. Brian will stay in the hospital overnight. We're trying to decide the best way to travel to Stanford. Drive or fly it's about 700 miles from Phoenix to Stanford.

Brian is still waiting to hear back from the University of California at San Francisco medical school. He called Monday and they told him that a few letters were going out this week but he probably wouldn't hear until after the first of the year. Brian is enrolling in an on-line class in physiology from UC Berkeley next semester. He has moved into the house next door and is getting more independent each day. That's why this tendon transfer surgery is going to be such a big set back. I've got to get working on making the shower accessible when Brian can't transfer from the wheelchair to the shower bench. I'm thinking that I can mount a rail to the ceiling trusses.

Brian hasn't been telling me about all of the medical school interview requests. He been turning down interviews to schools that he knows he woulded want to attend. So far he's had 8 interview requests out of the 15 schools where he applied.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 12-23-2008 at 07:19 PM.

I had a great talk with Brian yesterday, my first and found him to be engaging, insightful and determined. I have no doubt he will do well after the tendon transfer. He is doing it with a goal in mind and that alone makes it easier to accept the setbacks.

I would fly, 700 miles post surgery seems like an eternity, especially if he is prone to AD. Splurge for 2 first class tickets.

Best to you all.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Brian is scheduled to have the initial tendon transfer surgery at Stanford on Tuesday Jan 13. My wife and Brian leave Monday afternoon to fly to San Jose. I'll fly to Stanford Tuesday afternoon to help bring Brian back to Phoenix on Wednesday.

Today I'm installing a ceiling mounted unilift that we'll use while Brian is unable to transfer himself. A family from our church gave us the lift. Their daughter was severely injured and needed the lift. She passed away two years ago but they still had the lift in their garage.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 01-11-2009 at 09:14 PM.

Roger,
    Tell Brian we are all rooting for him. His determination is amazing, and despite this temporary loss of his functional level I suspect he will do fine. YOU are an amazing dad! I love the way you just do what needs to be done (ceiling lift) and make things possible.

Roger and Family: I got an email from Brian after he talked with a researcher and he seemed very jazzed to move forward and have a real positive change in his life.

What way did Brian decide to travel home?

I must say, Brian is great to chat with, his emails upbeat. I think your family found the formula for getting through SCI.

Good luck Brian, hope all goes well and I look forward to additional updates.

Cheesecake

We'll be flying back to Phoenix Wednesday afternoon. Brian will have the surgery sometime Tuesday.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Cheesecake

We'll be flying back to Phoenix Wednesday afternoon. Brian will have the surgery sometime Tuesday.

Roger
    Glad you are flying. When I had my right arm reconstructed, the drive home (35 miles) was the longest of my life. I just couldn't see driving back to Phoenix.

Be thinking of you on Tuesday Brian! Keep me posted.

Good luck Brian.

You can do it.