Page 23 of 117 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Thursday Brian took the final exam for the on-line immunology class from UC Berkeley. The test was four hours, he took the test at a local community college. Brian said that the test was very detailed and difficult. The multiple choice questions were not just pick one answer instead you had to pick all the answers that applied. What that means is if you have 50 multiple choice questions each with four answers then you really have 200 questions that you're answering. I know that Brian is glad to be done with the immunology class so that he can concentrate on the medical school applications.
    A couple of weeks ago Brian purchased a used quad rugby chair from a doctor in Tucson. He wants to start going to the quad rugby games and practices on a regular basis. The exercise makes him feel better and I'm hoping that it will help lessen the spasms that he experiences.
    A couple of weeks ago we had the lift replaced on the Ford Van that we purchased last summer. The van is a VMI Tuscany accessible van, it came with an under vehicle lift which was really nice because it freed up space inside the van. Unfortunately the under vehicle lift was very susceptible to damage because of reduced ground clearance. A high speed bump could cause damage. VMI withdrew the under vehicle lift from the market because there were so many problems. When we needed our lift repaired because it wouldn't deploy properly, there were no parts available. I called VMI and complained and they agreed to replace the under vehicle lift with a reliable in vehicle lift. I liked the increased space inside the van from the under vehicle lift but if the lift wasn't reliable then that's no good. We're going to be selling the van soon and getting a modified Honda Element so that Brian can drive himself. I wouldn't have wanted to sell the van to someone with the under vehicle lift because of all of the problems. If someone is looking for a E250 Ford accessible van with an EZ-Lok mount let me know. There's ~15,000 miles on it.

Roger

Roger, post the van in our Equipment Exchange forum, and also try posting it on eBay.

Glad he felt he did well on the exam. Immunology is a very difficult subject.

(KLD)

Brian is working on the medical school applications. He has received a few secondary application requests. Friday, he was very happy because he got a request for a secondary application from UC San Francisco. He went to school in Berkeley and was living in San Francisco when he was injured. He would love to go back to San Francisco and go to school again. UCSF receives 6000 applications from which they select 1500 for secondary applications. They then select 130 students to be admitted. This is one of the most competitive schools to be admitted.

Brian also got a job editing website medical pages. The doctor at Barrows Neurological Institute who Brian ghostwrote a paper for was contacted by a company in New York looking for a freelance medical editor. The doctor recommended Brian and he got the job. Brian will read the web pages and add links to reference other pages. Once Brian gets going on this he will be able to use this on his resume. When he gets interviews for medical school this will be something that he can say that he's currently doing in the medical field. I think it will be interesting and it will cover a wide range of subjects.

Three of Brian's friends from California are coming this weekend to visit. It was Brian's birthday a few days ago so they're coming to Phoenix to celebrate. One of Brian's high school friends is having a party today at his house. No old people allowed at this party.

Roger

Roger,
    That is great news about the secondary application request, and also Brian's medical editing job. No flies on him!! Wish him a happy birthday from us all.

Brian worked on secondary applications today. So far he has completed 13 secondary applications. He thinks that he has another month of before all of the secondary applications are completed. I think he told me that he applied to 24 schools.

The doctor from Barrows sent Brian a paper to proof read. He was concerned because he made a lot of changes. He hasn't heard back from the doctor yet.

Right now Brian is riding the FES RT300 bike. His spasms have been bad recently and he was not doing well on the bike. Tonight it's better. A couple of weeks ago when Brian was at the doctor he asked about getting a Baclofen pump. His doctor is not in favor of getting the Baclofen pump and suggested to Brian that he wait.

When I read the posts by 6 Shooter on the Cure Forum I feel like we haven't been doing enough. 6 Shooter describes all of the treatments that they have done MME therapy, multiple stem cell treatments, magnetic patches, magnetic mattress.

Last week Susan M posted that she had recently visited Dr. Davies lab in Colorado. I'm anxiously waiting for her to post a report on her visit. I pray everyday for everyone who has experienced this injury and I pray that Dr. Young and Dr. Davies will be given the guidance to cure this injury.

Roger

Brian called me at work a few minutes ago. He just received an email from UCSF asking him to come for an interview. He's really excited. University of California San Francisco, UCSF, is a top ten medical school. The fact that Brian could go back to San Francisco where he lived prior to the accident would be a huge boost to his spirits.

Roger

That's fantastic Roger.

You know, this is a wonderful thread for new injuries as Brian's entire story is here like a diary, from your early questions to his current progress.

Shows what can be done with determination and good family support.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Congrat Brian.
    Please let him know that Marcia asked about him recently. She will be thrilled at how well he is doing.

When is the interview?
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Wow, That is great!! Hoping he gets into UCSF!!

UCSF has a great medical school, and in a great location in a wonderful city. You can certainly be proud of him! I am keeping my fingers crossed for him getting into the program.

(KLD)