Page 22 of 117 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Thanks Roger. Brian called me right after the seminar. He sounded very excited. This is going to be a process but you guys are up to the challenge. John will get you through it.

Funding is less of an issue than they'll make it. The lion's share of all extreme speeding and extreme DUI fines go into the head and spine fund and most of that goes to fund TBI's and SCI's in VR. Brian's needs are less impacted by the budget crunch than his counselor will let on.

Brian's going to make a great doctor.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Brian and my wife met with an AZ Vocational Rehab representative today. The outcome of the meeting was amazing. They told Brian that AZ Vocational Rehab would pay for his medical school expenses. I'm in shock.

We would not have known to ask for this if JenJen hadn't told Brian about the Client Assistance Seminar that was being conducted here in Phoenix on June 12. Thanks again Jennifer.

Brian will have to pay for his own car because AZ Voc Rehab will only pay for one goal. If his goal was to go back to work then AZ Voc Rehab would have paid for an accessible car but since Brian told them his goal was to become a doctor then they said that they would pay for medical school. This is amazing.

For now AZ Voc Rehab is going to close Brian's case, because they can only keep a case open for 120 day and Brian won't know if he's accepted into medical school for 8 months. When he's accepted then AZ Voc Rehab will open a new case. The next step is for Brian to get accepted into medical school.

Roger

Wow! Roger, that is wonderful, and amazing. I don't think a lot of states would pay for this, so let's all give a cheer for Az!! Too bad about the car, but we all know that is a relatively small expense compared to medical school. Congratulations.

Amazing news Roger. Brian I am thrilled for you, I have no doubt you will be accepted to multiple facilities.

Jen, thanks for passing on the resources, we can all learn from each other if we share info.

Every state has a CAP program and sad to say generally with very few employees. I urge others to look towards their state CAP progams as well.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

This is wonderful! You both should be so proud. Keep us updated as he progresses toward this goal.

(KLD)

Brian is working on the secondary applications for medical school. He submitted secondary applications today to George Washington and Johns Hopkins. I have to say that I have great respect for doctors now that I see what they had to go through just to get into medical school. The application process is grueling. In addition to all of the essay's that have to be written for each school the medical school entrance examine, MCAT, is unbelievable. There are four sections in the eight hour test: Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Verbal Reasoning and Writing Sample. The questions in each of these sections get very detailed.

Like I said I have a whole new respect for doctors. These are very smart people and it shocks me when I hear about some doctor who is guilty of unethical or criminal behavior. I can't understand how someone who has worked so hard would do something that could cause him to risk losing everything.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I have found your posts very interesting and informative, and although I have not had a chance to read through them completely I was very interested in the bathroom/shower chair on the goesanywhere.com website. My fiance was recently injured (T5 & T10 injury sites) in a motorcycle accident (he was hit by a suburban that failed to yield left) and we are planning to do home modifications, but until then I was hoping that this would be the answer to our bathroom problem. The bathroom door is only 23 inches wide. Did you end up buying this chair? If so, what are your thoughts about it.

We are currently at an inpatient facility on the east coast because we live in Manhattan and hope to be out of here and go to outpatient at Mt. Sinai...any thoughts about this place??

Thank you for sharing your son's journey with us.

SPP

I didn't end up buying the sliding shower chair on the goesanywhere.com website. Brian didn't want it. We purchased an Active Aid commode/shower bench which I move from the shower to the toilet as required.

The first time that Brian used the commode/shower bench in July 2007 was a total nightmare. It could not have been worse. Since that time he has gotten stronger and he is now able to transfer by himself to the commode/shower bench. I'm not pleased with our current bathroom arrangement because the bathroom is not large enough. We're making do. I have proposed several times to Brian and my wife that we get the bathroom and shower modified to make it more accessible but they don't want to because Brian wants to become independent and live on his own. My prayer every moment of the day is that Dr. Young and Dr. Davies will develop a treatment so that our loved ones are cured.

You're right about the bathroom door there's no way that 23 inches is going to be large enough. I removed our bathroom door so that the opening is now 30 inches and that's barely wide enough.

With respect to your question about an inpatient facility I'm not even a little bit qualified to answer that question. I strongly suggest that you start a thread and let the knowledgeable people on Carecure guide you. That's what I have done with this thread. Brian had inpatient treatment at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta and outpatient treatment at Kennedy Krieger in Baltimore and The Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    Brian is working on the secondary applications for medical school. He submitted secondary applications today to George Washington and Johns Hopkins. I have to say that I have great respect for doctors now that I see what they had to go through just to get into medical school. The application process is grueling.
    Roger
    Roger, did Brian meet Dr. Lee while at KKI? He is a quad working to become a neurologist. He spent a year at KKI and was able to offer a lot of personal insight to patients. He moved on last July but I am not sure where to.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Cheesecake

I just asked Brian if he ever met Dr. Lee, he said no. He recalled that they had mentioned that there had been a doctor in a wheelchair at KKI but he had just left. Brian was at KKI Sept 1 - Sept 27 of 2007. So it sounds like he was there just after Dr. Lee had left.

It would be great if Brian was accepted at Johns Hopkins last week he sent in the secondary application to Johns Hopkins. It's a long shot Johns Hopkins gets over 12,000 applications and accept 125 students each year.

Roger