Page 21 of 117 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Rybread

Hello. I asked Brian this morning if he knew Joe Lemmon. He thought that he recognized the name. Brian has been going to the out patient rehab at St. Josephs. This is run by a lady named Sonja. I think she came to St. Josephs last year from the east coast.

We live in Mesa near Fiesta Mall. I'll send you a private message with Brian's cellphone number so that you can talk to him directly. I know that he would be happy to talk to you.

Roger

Today Brian got an email from an associate dean at the Wake Forest Medical School. He said that they will accept Brian's Aug 2005 MCAT test scores for the Sept 2009 class. That doesn't mean that they will accept Brian with his current physical limitations but at least the MCAT issue is resolved. It's unbelievable that he has to go through this for every place that he wants to apply.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 06-05-2008 at 05:55 PM.

Brian launched his medical school application yesterday. He submitted his application to 20 schools from Boston to San Francisco. The first round applications are submitted by a company using a standardized application form. The whole application process takes amost 10 months. Brian is applying to start medical school in Sept 2009.

I hope that someday I'll be able to report that Brian has recovered from his injury and the he has been accepted into medical school.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 06-06-2008 at 07:37 PM.

This is great! Good luck to him (and congratulations to you both for getting so far in such little time)!

(KLD)

SCI-Nurse

I want to thank you and Cheesecake for all of the good advice that you've provided to my family during the last year.

Roger

I have not been around in quite awhile and am catching up.
    To recap:
    Brian asked for an extension on his MCAT scores, the admissions coordinator said no we don't give extensions. Brian then explained why he thought an extension was justified because of his accident. The admissions coordinator replied your a quad, we don't accept quads anyway so the MCAT extension question is moot. This admissions coordinator didn't attempt to explain or justify her decision not to grant an extension on the MCAT score instead she used Brian's disability to justify her original denial. I think that this is a pretty unprofessional way of handling the situation.

Roger
    Wake Forest has left themselves wide open for a discrimination lawsuit based on this comment.

I am glad to see Brian is doing well. I think there are ways to move around Voc Rehab and I would be happy to help. PM me and I can send you names of some great folks in AZ.

Best,
    Cheesecake
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I love reading your posts becasue they are filled with determination and a team approach that is so wonderful, and congratulate both you and Brian for all the work you are doing to insure his medical career! Fingers crossed here too!

Roger,

I just attended the TBI conference put on by the Govenor's Council on Head and Spine Injuries. It was great BTW... I sat in on a presention put on by CAP called "Your Rights to VR Services" Sadly, CAP is only 2 ppl state-wide but they are very powerful in the VR process. I got to talk to both of them at length and learned a lot. I would be happy to help Brian in anyway I can. You have my number.

VR CAN pay for Brian to go to medical school. It's a process but one I know your family is up for.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Roger,

Sorry for the short notice but this is THE guy to talk to about VR funding med school for Brian. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go. You'll get a lot of good info. You can also attend via teleconference if you choose.

Arizona Center for Disability Law - Client Assistance Program (CAP)
    The Coordinator of the Client Assistance Program (CAP) will be providing a training on your rights as a client or applicant of a program funded under the Rehabilitation Act. Do you have questions or concerns about the Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) program? Or do you have questions or concerns regarding the Independent Living Centers and the services they provide for you? If so, come join us for an in-depth training on your rights as a Vocational Rehabilitation client or applicant. Issues to be discussed will include, services and benefits under the Rehabilitation Act, how to negotiate and resolve problems with VR and your appeal rights as a client of VR.
    Guest Speaker: John Gutierrez - Coordinator of the Client Assistance Program (CAP)
    Date/Time: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
    Teleconference: Interested individuals can attend this presentation in person or via teleconference call. In order to attend via conference call, please call David no later than Wednesday, June 11, 2008.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Thanks JenJen

Brian and my wife went to the Client Assistance Program seminar today. The information provided was GREAT GREAT GREAT. This encouraging information couldn't have come at a better time. My wife called from the semiar and told me that the information being provided was so good that she was canceling her 1:00 hair appointment so that they could stay for the entire seminar. This is the first time that I've ever heard that something was more important than a hair appointment.

Thank you very much Jen.

Roger