Page 20 of 117 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Well done Brian, all this in a year is amazing

Brian completed his first assignment for the Doctor at Barrow Neurological. The doctor was pleased with what Brian did and is going to send some research results and have Brian ghost write a paper.

Brian has exchanged some emails with a medical school admissions coordinator at Wake Forest. In the first email Brian asked if the Wake Forest Medical School would accept his Aug 2005 MCAT scores because he lost a year due to his injury. As expected this request for denied. Brian then sent another email and explained in greater detail why he was requesting the extension on his MCAT test scores. The reply Brian received was:

The Wake Forest Medical School does not accept quadriplegic students therefore a waiver on the MCAT test results is moot. We wish you well in your continuing pursuits.

Brian sent all of the emails to a quadriplegic doctor who graduated from Wake Forest, he had suggest to Brian that he apply to Wake Forest. The doctor said that he was appalled by the emails and was going to forward them to one of the Deans at Wake Forest. It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.

This is an example of how emails can capture all of the relevant details. You don't have to repeat what someone has told you and risk not being accurate. A third person can read all of the messages in a thread and see exactly what has been written. No misrepresentation of what has been said, it's all written down.

Roger

Roger: I have been reading your thread off and on since you started. I could relate to some of it because I too went through the process of buying the same FES bike your son has. I never wanted to reply to any of your comments because I am just a para- not a quad like your son- but I wanted to write this time. It is UNBELIEVABLE that wake Forest said that. That takes a lot of balls to tell your son that. I had my accident riding as a passenger in a car going from Maryland to California to open a restaurant in Santa Cruz with a buddy of mine. Everyone in the car ended up ok exept for me. Anyway- since I can not participate in the business yet, I thought this would be a good time to get a 'professional' culinary education and started to look at some of the major schools. All I get is the same answer your son just got. I don't fully understand their justification because I still can probably cook better than anyone enrolled, but also see their point because it would be almost impossible to manuver in a kitchen with a wheelchair. HOWEVER- there is no reason why your son would be denied medical school because of his condition. His arms and legs might not work, but as far as I know, his mind and brain work just as it did before this terrible thing happened! I am furious right now thinking about what they said and swear if it was me and I had the means, I would take them to town with as much litigation as it would take to have the author of that email at my front doorstep on his/her arms and knees begging for forgivness. Good luck with this new challenge and to your son- from what I read is a true soldier and hero in some regards. I could never have done as well as he is after such a tramatic travisty.

Nathanjmac

Brian had the same kind of accident. He was a passenger in a car driven by a friend. The driver walked away uninjured. I hope that this admissions coordinator eats some serious crow before this is over.

Good look with your pursuits.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 05-15-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Roger I just finished reading this whole thread.....like it took me 3 hours....lol

Boy you are a man on a mission. I just Hate Hate and HATE Ins. Co. I broke my leg last year and after 6 months of them not paying and being sent to collectors I just gave up and hired a lawyer. I have no-fault car Ins. here in Michigan. Any bill "incurred" after 30 days is overdue by law. But they get away with bloody murder by taking your money and buying the Governor and the Governor elects who....guess?....Judges...Instead of doing the right thing.
    Sometimes you wonder why you even have Ins. if there not gona even try and do the right things. As I no you have found out by now.

Roger I salute you and your family and wish the best for your son in the future.

Art....looking forward to the updates too.
    Art

Brian is busy ghost writing a paper on immune reactions for a doctor at the Barrow Neurological Institute who is researching MS. It would be great if this led to a job at Barrow.

Yesterday, Brian and my wife went to the Arizona vocation rehabilitation office and met with one of the counselors. The meeting went better than I would have expected. The counselor liked Brian and acted like she would be a strong advocate for getting him an accessible vehicle. Getting a job that requires that he travel to the Barrow Neurological Institute would be good justification for why he needs an accessible vehicle.

They also discussed if vocational rehab would pay for Brian to go to medical school. The counselor said probably not. Brian's degree is in business and he could go back to work utilizing his business degree. The fact that he took pre-med classes wouldn't enter into the decision. Something to consider is that in college there is no pre-med degree. Students take pre-med classes but the degree that they receive at graduation doesn't say pre-med. I don't think that the discussion is completely over on this subject. Of course it's not really worth getting too excited about because Brian hasn't been accepted at any medical school yet.

Brian has been working on the personal statement that he must submit with the medical school application. I know that he would love to go to UC Irvine but it's a numbers game. The UC Irvine medical school accepts ~120 students each year. For those 120 positions they receive ~5000 applications. To apply to UC Irvine you must be a California resident. The University of Arizona medical school also accepts ~120 students each year. For those 120 positions they receive ~600 applications. To apply to the University of Arizona medical school you must be an Arizona resident.

Brian has looked at these numbers and decided that since he only has one chance he had better get Arizona residency and concentrate on the University of Arizona application.

Brian forwarded the emails that he received from the Wake Forest admissions coordinator to the doctor who told Brian he should apply to Wake Forest. As I mentioned earlier the doctor said after he read the emails that he was appalled and embarrassed by the Wake Forest admissions coordinators comments. The doctor has forwarded all the emails to the Dean at Wake Forest. He sent Brian an email today and said that he hasn't heard from the Dean yet but he expect a reply from the Dean. I think that the admissions coordinator is going to get her bell rung over how she handled the situation.

To recap:
    Brian asked for an extension on his MCAT scores, the admissions coordinator said no we don't give extensions. Brian then explained why he thought an extension was justified because of his accident. The admissions coordinator replied your a quad, we don't accept quads anyway so the MCAT extension question is moot. This admissions coordinator didn't attempt to explain or justify her decision not to grant an extension on the MCAT score instead she used Brian's disability to justify her original denial. I think that this is a pretty unprofessional way of handling the situation.

Roger

Brian completed the paper for the doctor at the Barrow Neurological Institute. The doctor reviewed it and said that the paper was a great first paper and she thought that Brian could write papers as a profession. The article is for the MS Quarterly Magazine. There's some minor editing to do on the paper to remove some of the technical jargon. Hopefully this will be the beginning of ongoing work for Brian at the Barrow Neurological Institute. If he had regular work there he would be eligible to get a vehicle modified by Arizona Vocational Rehabilitation.

Today Brian went and played quad rugby at a local high school gym. One of the boys there has a modified Honda Element. Brian really likes the Element. If Brian was approved for a vehicle we would buy a new Element and AZ Voc Rehab would pay for the modifications. Brian has been taking drivers training but he done with that until he gets his own vehicle.

In a few weeks Brian will be submitting his medical school application. When he submits his application he has to include what they call a personal statement. He has spent a great deal of time writing the personal statement and has had it reviewed by at least six of his college friends. For some unknown reason he has not asked me to review it. I don't think that Brian believes that I write well at all. I'm and engineer and writing has never been one of my strengths. If it wasn't for the spell checker everyone would know that I'm virtually illiterate.

Roger

Today Brian and I went to an event called A DAY ON THE LAKE. This was put on by St Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix. The event was at Bartlett Lake which is located just north of Scottsdale, Bartlett lake is part of the water reservoir system for Phoenix. I didn't realize how big of an event this was until we got there. They had about 150 volunteers participating. Brian got to water ski and ride on a jet ski.

The equipment and number of people involved was amazing. For one person water skiing, they had a pontoon boat, three ski boats and two jet skies. A total of 12 volunteers were there to assist the water skier. This was a very well run event.

A film crew from the Phoenix CBS news was there and interviewed Brian and one of the other participants. The film clip about the event was on the 10:00 pm CBS News tonight.

Roger

Wow Brian has certainly been busy. Wake Forest University is way out of line. That admissions coordinator should lose her job for a comment like that IMHO.

Nothing like cruising the lake on skis/jetski...LOL

At least Brian is still normal. I think they think us parents are not capable of giving them the constructive criticism their friends can LOL. After all, what do we know? Right? LOL

Keep fighting and pushing. Brian has great support from you. My mom was my cheerleader/pusher/etc as well.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I was just about to ask if you knew when the day on the lake event was going to take place. I live in Scottsdale and I haven't been to that and probably six years. does Joe Lemmon still work at Barrows as the recreational therapist? You would've run into her at the lake. I wish I had seen this from the beginning. I went to barrows for rehab but that was in 2000 and they worked my butt off. Whereabouts in Phoenix do you live? I am in North Scottsdale around Scottsdale and cactus roads. I was thinking of going back to physical therapy and going to St. Joe's outpatient rehab if I can get my insurance to approve it. It's been a couple of years. I know they have a wellness clinic over their once a month but I'm not sure of the date. it sounds like Brian is doing really well. Every time I try to go back to school I end up with a damn sore sabotaging me. I finally get to go back this fall I hope providing my surgery is all healed up. We should get together sometime.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.