Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Yeah, if you can afford it, I'd go to Craig too. KDL is right about Good Sam. It was one of the very best but lost its designation. If you can't leave PHX, that's another story. Good Luck
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

roger, be careful with his bc/bs insurance...he was out of his coverage (state) when he had his accident, so was i with same..and bc/bs coverage changes when youre out of area...keep in close communication with them so you know what they will or won't cover, in fact they're out of area coverage kept me from going to craig (and i was IN denver already) bc/bs left me with 1/2 of all my bills because i was out of area..be careful with them for your son's sake....

I think the key to insurance coverage here, is to determine if he has a PPO. With a PPO you are eligible for the same coverage outside your home state. My son has BC/BS PPO and they have been wonderful. Hard to believe I actually feel that an insurance company has been wonderful. I have had my share of ups and downs with other companies. BC/BS has been helpful, informative and professional through this entire ordeal. It might help to ask for a case worker at the insurance company. I had one and she was invaluable getting answers and insuring that things moved forward without a hitch. In addition, if given the choice, I would choose a model SCI program over anything else.
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

I am sorry to hear about your son's injury. I hope the social workers help you with the insurance web.
    Daniel

hi roger -

don't worry about the methypred., from what I understand it's on it's way out of the standard of care in the US.

I also have Blue cross blue shield health insurance, and was injured away from home, in my hometown as well actually. it did cause quite a few "wrinkles" since I was injured out of network, harder to eventually get paid. I've got several letters to them in my e-book.

aside from PT, start getting your social work contacts to meet with your son - Center for Independent Living, OVR for driving lessons/home mods, etc. attendant care can be a long process to line up, so you'll want to start asap for when he comes home.

email me privately at pancakebunnyhead@gmail.com if you'd like a copy for free. otherwise you can download at lulu link below for a fee.

I want to thank everyone for their helpful posts. Brian had surgery on Thursday everything went well. He still has the respirator in his throat so he can talk. The pulmonary doctor checked Brian this morning and found that his right lung had partially collapsed so they inserted a tube in his chest to reduce the stress on the right lung. He said that the sooner that they can remove the respirator the better. Hopefully Sunday they will be able to remove the respirator. Brian is asleep now so I can home my wife and daughter are with him.

Yesterday, I spend a lot of time dealing with issues but by far not the most important. I found out that Brian’s company will continue him on medical leave for 6 months. He has Blue Cross of CA PPO medical insurance. The person I talked to at BC was very helpful. Brian is at the Barrow Neurological Institute at St Joseph’s Hospital in Phx and that is in the BC network. So for the time being that’s good. The company Brian works for also provides both short term disability and long term disability insurance. The medical insurance and the disability insurance are paid 100% by the company. So I think that's all very good. Brian was a passenger in a car driven by a friend. They were at Rocky Point Mexico. The driver had purchased Mexican insurance but that only provides $2000 for medical injuries. That’s probably only a concern for Blue Cross.

The social worker at Barrow talked to my wife and I for quite a length of time on Friday. Soon we need to make a decision on where Brian will have rehab. A new Neuro-Rehab Center is opening at the Barrow Neurological Institute on Monday. With the increased facilities Brian could get right in. My wife thinks having friends close by is more important and thinks staying in Phx would be better than going to Shepherd in Atlanta or Craig in Denver. My son also has a several college friends in LA. So that raises the possibility of a therapy center in LA. I don’t really think we should count on college friends giving Brian the long term support that he will need during Acute Rehab that's why I’m leaning toward staying in Phx. In Phx he might not have as many of his college friends but he has family and old friends from when he was growing up here.
    Last edited by Roger; 02-17-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Don't go to a new center. The staff will be very green. I know...I opened a center 18 years ago, and I shudder to think how little my staff knew, and how I had to be there every minute to be sure that the most basic things got done right. Being close to family is great, but don't ship going to a leading center if you can. It is sort of like skipping a scholarship to Harvard Law School so you can stay close to your family and go to XYZ Night Law School. Many things that he will learn in rehab, and the advice of EXPERIENCED professionals in the field will determine the course of his life for the next few years, and prepare him with the skills he will need for his life.

I would only consider Rancho Los Amigos in Downey, CA, but you would have to understand that it is a county hospital, and that the realities of staff shortages and budget cuts may impact the quality of the program. The only other center I would even consider is Casa Colina in Pomona.

I assume he is not a military veteran, correct??

(KLD)

KLD

No, Brian is not a veteran. Perhaps it would be more precise to say that the Barrow Neuro Rehab has moved to a new larger facility. It's not a new center in terms of operations. Our surgeon Dr. Theodore told us that the procedures developed at Barrow are the basis for the MODEL system.
    Do you think that Blue Cross would agree to transport Brian to Atlanta for therapy?

Roger

Shepherd Center is a great program, but comparable to Craig.

Barrow's is NOT a model System Center, although they are CARF accredited as a SCSC. They don't see the numbers of patients with SCI that are seen at Model Systems Centers, so their staff are not as expert or experienced. I would not consider sending a member of my family there or to Good Sam for SCI rehab.

(KLD)

KLD

Thank you for your comments. This is the type of dialogue that I was hoping for.
    Do you have any thoughts on the transport from Phoenix to Atlanta issue.

Roger