Page 19 of 117 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

It Takea a Community

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    Cheesecake

Thanks for all of your help during the past year. I can't imagine facing this horrible situation without the help from you and all of the Carecure members.

A few days after Brian was injured I was put in contact with Dr. Patrica Morton. She directed me to the Carecure website. This is a resource that all families who have a loved one with a spinal cord injury must be told about.

Roger

It takes a community to get someone through SCI. CareCure servers that role well with many folks playing a role.

Glad you and Brian found your way here.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Brian returned from Salt Lake City this evening. Everything went well. Brian stayed with two college friends in a condo at Park City. The condo is owned by the family of Brian's college friend and former roommate. One of Brian's other friends flew to Salt Lake City from San Francisco. This was a step toward independence for Brian.

Roger

How thrilling for him! What a great boost to his self confidence the trip must have been. I'm glad that he had a good time. It is so very good that he have good friends like these. Now he knows that the logistics of travel may be different than they once were, but nothing is insurmountable. He sounds like a great "kid" and you must be very proud of him. Heres wishing him continued sucess!
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Brian and my wife traveled to Tucson yesterday so that Brian could spend the day shadowing a physiatrist who lives in Tucson. Everything went well. The doctor from Tucson has been very helpful. He also has a SCI which he sustained in a skiing accident. By observing the doctor doing his normal work Brian is able to obtain the clinical experience that he needs for his medical school application.

Research experience remains the last item that Brian needs for his application. He has three possibilities for research experience, he is waiting to hear back. The waiting is the hard part. He doesn't want to call too often for fear of annoying the people that he's asking to help him.

Roger

Great to see he is moving forward. Impressive given that it is barely a year.
    Way yo go Brian!

WOW! I am so impressed at how far Brian has come in a year, and you should take great pride in the fact that your support has made this all possible, along with Brian's own determination. Great job everyone! Keep us posted on his research possibilities.

Eileen

Brian talked to a doctor yesterday from St. Josephs hospital in Phoenix. The doctor is doing research related to spinal cord injuries. Brian is going to meet with the doctor on May 6.

Two possibilities were discussed, Brian could be a participant in the study and Brian could also assist the doctor with the research. The subject of the research relates to the spinal cord immune reaction to steroids given immediately after a SCI. Brian was given this steroid immediately after his injury. What makes him capable of assisting the doctor is that he is currently taking an upper level biology course studying immunology. When the doctor explained the purpose of the research Brian already knew quite a bit about the biochemistry involved in the immune reaction. This is potentially a perfect match on three counts, it's here in Phoenix, it relates to SCI and it deals with immunology.

Roger

Roger, how fantastic that Biran has already taken a course in upper level biology, as it seems to be paving the way for him to participate in this study as much more than just a subject of the study! I worked in immunology for many years and it certainly is a rewarding (and comparatively well funded) field of study, to say nothing of absolutely fascinating. Wishing him luck when he meets with the doctor on May 6th!

Brian had a very good day today. He met with a doctor at Barrows Neurological Institute. This is where Brian was treated right after his injury. At today's meeting Brian discussed with the doctor the possibility of him working for the doctor doing research. The meeting went very well. The doctor used to do spinal cord research but is currently doing research on MS. Brian could assist her in three potential areas.

1. As a ghost writer for papers that she is working on but doesn't have the time to write herself.
    2. Doing statistical analysis on the research data
    3. Working somewhere in the lab.

Any one of these areas would be fantastic. Brian is an excellent writer, if you've read the Keirstead Lab Report that he wrote and posted on Carecure I think you'll agree. As good as he is at writing he's even better at math. In sixteen years of schooling he's never gotten anything less than an A in any math class. He completed all of his high school math including calculus when he was a junior in high school. He also took statistics when he a undergrad at UC Berkeley. Working in the lab would be the most challenging because of his injury.

Brian met with the doctor for two hours today. Everything is lining up the doctor is studying immune reactions in the body and Brian is taking an on-line immunology class from UC Berkeley. Because of the class he can talk with doctor intelligently about the research that she's doing.

I'm really happy and optimistic that Brian will be able to get research experience working for this doctor. Brian concluded after the meeting that she seems very nice.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 05-06-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Roger~
    You have continued to help people by showing Brian's ongoing journey post rehab, thank you. It is so nice to hear that people get rehab but then also go back to active life in a brief time. Thanks for this ongoing gift.

I was a ghost writer for a neurologist that is extremly well published back in college. It is interesting to see from the inside how journal articles get published.