Page 18 of 117 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

My faith in common sense has been restored. Brian called the U of A Medical School today to inquire about giving him an extension on his MCAT results. The lady he talked to asked, didn't the Dean contact you? They have decided to accept Brian's August 2005 MCAT results.

Obviously good news but this does not sound like a very competent organization. They made a decision but didn't even bother to tell Brian about the decision.

I know that I shouldn't complain the decision was in Brian's favor, I'm reminded of what a friend of mine used to say when people complained to him.

You guys would complain if we hung you with a new rope

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 03-20-2008 at 08:19 PM.

I just dropped Brian off at the Phoenix airport. He's going to Salt Lake City for the weekend to visit two of his college roommates. This is his first trip by himself since his injury. We're all praying that everything goes well.

We've decided to not go to Working to Walk in Washington. At the time that we had to decide Brian was not feeling well. It's hard to plan a trip across the country when you're sick and the trip won't necessarily make you feel better. We'll try to attend the events on the western edge of the country. I have to admit that these don't sound like a very good excuses but it's the best that I've got. At the moment Brian would rather spend the weekend with two of his friends rather than go to Washington with his mother and father. I find this very had to imagine, Ann and I are fun. But seriously making this trip by himself is step towards independence.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 04-05-2008 at 01:40 PM.

It sounds as if it is going extremely well for him now. That must be a relief. May he continue to improve.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Skippy

Thank you for your kind encouragement. The recovery process is day to day forward and backward steps. I pray continuously for all the people affected by this injury.

Roger

Yeah for Brian.... College friends are much cooler than mom and dad!!!!! LOL You are officially an empty nester as this is just the beginning for Brian!!!
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I'm not going to Working 2 Walk because I've been sick...and I'm a founding member of U2FP! Anyway, new injuries need to get a pass. DC is physically demanding, incredibly so. Your son needs to get his ducks in a row, life re-established. Visiting college friends = a big part of that process.

Great news about the mcats. No notification has to make you wonder how excited the Dean is about having him, though.

I hope he has a good trip. One (rare) good thing I can say about sci...Any trip I embark on, I relish, especially the solo ones. You never really take that freedom for granted again.

Roger, you are truly a caring and courageous father. Your whole family is the same, including your ambitious and brave son Brian. Often, a sci is in some ways harder on the family than the one injured.

Cheesecake, your selflessness and never say die spirit gives me hope and faith in humanity....KLD, the same sentiment applies to you. It applies to all of the others here who have helped this boy and his family navigate through an acute SCI.

Wise, you provide a resource like no other, anywhere...Roger's family's journey through acute sci with CareCure as a resource alone makes this website a positive and life-changing mechanism for good.

Just reading this thread all the way through made me cry...but they were good tears to shed.

Best of luck to Brian in the coming months and years, and to his family. Indeed, to all disabled people everywhere.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Roger:
    I had to smile at Brian wanting to see friends,it is the right choice for him right now, he is going on with his life. This is part of what what you hoped for a year ago.

You, Ann and your daughter have given so much this year, I am guessing it is a mixture of pride and awe as he heads off for a weekend on his own.

This year W2W has an amazing program and it gets better each year. Hopefully Brian can attend before the rigors of med school hit home.

Just an FYI on a different note, my family and I had dinner with Marcia last night. Her progress this year is amazing and she is now walking better than I do. Even I was surprised at the difference. Her husband looked relaxed, calm and great as well. I hope you and Ann are hitting that phase as well.

Best
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    My son was in a automobile accident on 2/9/2007. He sustained a spinal cord injury to the C6-C7 vertebra. He's currently being treated a Barrow's in Phoenix. Does anyone have an opinion on where to go for the best physical therapy? Is the therapy at Barrow's as good as say Craig Hospital in Denver
    RDF post got me to read backwards. I am amazed at all the progress Brian has made in the last year. He definately has moved on with his life.

This last year plus must seem like a lifetime to you. May Brian and your family continue to GO FORWARD!
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Cheesecake

Thanks for all of your help during the past year. I can't imagine facing this horrible situation without the help from you and all of the Carecure members.

A few days after Brian was injured I was put in contact with Dr. Patrica Morton. She directed me to the Carecure website. This is a resource that all families who have a loved one with a spinal cord injury must be told about.

Roger