Page 17 of 117 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Leif

I haven't been to the St. Josephs out-patient rehab with Brian but I know that Brian thinks that Jodie is the best therapist that he's had. Brian has been to Shepherd Center, Kennedy Kreiger and now St. Josephs.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    Leif

I haven't been to the St. Josephs out-patient rehab with Brian but I know that Brian thinks that Jodie is the best therapist that he's had. Brian has been to Shepherd Center, Kennedy Kreiger and now St. Josephs.

Roger
    It seems like he has been to several good places by my understanding, as the places you mention are good, as I understand. But like with any centre of rehabilitating there are as many opinions as there are patients, I guess, although some have listings as CARF accredited etc. (one over here has). I was only to St. Josephs in Phoenix for one month after a surgery at the same hospital and then shipped home. But they all did a good job. Very nice staff, demanding therapists and so on. I also had rehab at a place over here, which are not a SCI unit, and that was not so good, limited on extensive rehab it was, more a place to “be”. But some of the other SCI units we have which I have visited later on due to some work I am involved with seems to have as good as standards as the one in the US I attended. But one thing I have been thinking about (have to think not to laud here in case some should see this from over here “smile”) is that one necessarily not wants a lot of SCI units for rehab, but more a few which can thereby give the best of care and rehabilitation thus having more patients gaining more expertise by. And like you write here, you guys also have been to several places (in you’re country), and today with easy to go by planes that should not be to big a problem. Over here we have three SCI rehab units, and I am thinking (again, not to laud) if it wouldn’t be better if we over here in my small country for instance just had one top-notch rehab place? Sorry, about this “rant” or thinking by me, but from a SCI patients point of view I think it is important to dear to think such thoughts regardless of what the established health care system would think or feel. Cause after all; it is us, the spinal cord injured and the next of kin who are the customers. – Good luck on further progress there. I liked the St. Josephs rehab centre in Phoenix a lot. The doc’s at St. Josephs (BNI) also made a huge difference for the outcome of the difficult lesion situated in my cord.

Lief

I agree with your conclusion. It's impossible to declare one place the best. When Brian was stable and we had to select where he would go for acute rehab I was lost. The reason that we didn't stay at St. Josephs was that the St. Josephs in-patient rehab was moving into a new facility and we didn't think that things were not going to be organized. When I say that they were moving I mean the weekend that we were deciding movers were putting furniture and boxes into the new rehab area. There was a lot of confusion. We felt uncomfortable about this so I got onto Carecure and asked the question where should Brian go for acute rehab. The recommendation was that it was critically important to go to a Model Hospital. Based on that we had two options: Craig Hospital in Denver and The Shepherd Center in Atlanta. Craig is closer to Phoenix so we were going to go there until I talked with Pat Rummerfield. He said that based on his experiences of interviewing over 200 patients that he had concluded that The Shepherd Center was the best place for acute rehab. That was it, we changed course and went to The Shepherd Center. All I wanted was the best possible acute rehab for my son. My wife and daughter flew with Brian on an air ambulance to Atlanta. They stayed with him in Atlanta from Mar 1 to July 15. I flew to Atlanta from Phoenix almost every Friday and flew back to Phoenix on Monday morning. I can't say that all of this was necessary but I would do it again in a heart beat because I still don't feel like I know enough about acute rehab to overrule people who deal with this everyday.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 02-10-2008 at 04:34 PM.

This has been a busy week for Brian. On Monday he had rehab at St. Josephs Hospital. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday he observed doctors at St. Josephs. This is all part of the clinical experience that he needs.

On Tuesday afternoon Brian called the UC Davis medical school to ask a few questions. He was very discouraged after talking to a rather rude man in the admissions depart.

The first question was: would UC Davis accept Brian's MCAT test results from August 2005 for an application for the Sept 2009 class. Normally the MCAT scores are only valid for three years. Brian was injured in Feb 2007 and has lost a year. Brian explained that he was injured and spent most of 2007 in the hospital. The man at the UC Davis admissions department said the they don't accept MCAT scores more that three years old and that there are no exceptions. The only way to be eligible to attend UC Davis is for Brian to retake the MCAT.

The second question was in regards to the physical requirements for attending medical school. UC Davis has a list of physical requirements posted on their INTERNET site. As stated on the website the requirements would preclude someone with Brian's injury from attending any University of California medical school because they all have exactly the same physical requirement. The man in the admissions department told Brian that if he didn't have finger sensitivity that he would not be eligible to attend medical school at UC Davis. Needless to say Brian was pretty discouraged.

I reminded Brian that there was a much different conclusion when we met with the director of admissions at the UC Irvine medical school. The lady at UC Irvine said that UC Irvine would accept his MCAT results and she also said that Brian was not blazing new ground. Other disabled students had already been accepted and had attended medical school. Brian is continuing to pursue his goal of attending medical school but obstacles keep appearing.

Roger

Sorry to hear Roger. Somehow that just doesnt seem fair. I hope he keeps trying.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Today was a good day.

The therapy at St. Josephs is going to end soon so Brian went with the therapist from St. Josephs to the Mesa Community College exercise gym. By enrolling in a class at Mesa Community college Brian will have access to the gym. There's a lot of exercise equipment in the gym and the person working there said that he would help Brian get setup on the equipment. That was very good. Yesterday, Brian had his first automobile driving lesson.

Brian talked to the admission department at the University of Arizona Medical School today. He has decided to proceed with the Medical School application. There are a few issues to resolve:

1. AZ state residency requirements
    2. U of A accepting MCAT results more that 3 years old
    3. Accommodations for physical limitations

The lady in the admissions office who Brian talked to is going to check with the director of admissions and call back with a decision on the MCAT test results. Normally MCAT test results are only valid for three years prior when you would begin medical school. Brian took the test in Aug 2005 so if he was accepted and started school in Sept 2009 the test results would be four years old rather than three years. I really can't imagine that they wouldn't give him a year extension but it all depends on who you talk to. A lower level person in admissions enforces the rules and the person in charge of admissions interprets the rules. Sometime before July Brian needs to make a decision on what school he wants to make the greatest effort to get into. UC Irvine only accepts California residents and the University of Arizona only accepts Arizona residents.

In the mean time Brian is shadowing doctors to get clinical experience and he is trying to arrange to work at Dr. Keirstead's lab at RIRC to get research experience. Brian is going to the Meet the Scientists Day at RIRC on March 12. At that time we'll probably find out if he'll be able to work as an unpaid volunteer at RIRC. The new communications director at Dr. Keirstead's lab seemed willing to have Brian work there as an unpaid volunteer. If the opportunity presents itself we'll jump at the chance.

We're very seriously considering go to Working to Walk in April. The little that I know about SCI research revolves around four researchers Dr. Young, Dr. Davies, Dr. McDonald and Dr. Keirstead. They're all going to be at Working to Walk. It seems like an event that we really can't afford to miss.

Roger

We're very seriously considering go to Working to Walk in April. The little that I know about SCI research revolves around four researchers Dr. Young, Dr. Davies, Dr. McDonald and Dr. Keirstead. They're all going to be at Working to Walk. It seems like an event that we really can't afford to miss.
    I hope you attend, then we may finally get to meet face to face.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I thought I would be writing about our trip to Irvine for the Meet the Scientist Day at RIRC. Unfortunately we had to cancel at the last minute because Brian was ill. It started with a UTI and then got more complicated. We spent most of Saturday at the emergency room. I think that we're over the worst and Brian to be feeling much better today.

Our experience at the Banner Desert Emergency room yesterday was not good. I was disappointed with the nursing care that Brian received. The nurses left him laying in a cold room on a hard mattress for several hours. The nurse finally came in and told us she would be right back. We waited another hour for her to come back only to find out that her shift was over and she had gone home. The nurse who took over didn't even come into the room until I searched out the original nurse to find out why she hadn't returned. The nurses seemed more interested in working on their computers filling out paper work than caring for the patient. It was only after my wife and I took control and started caring for Brian that the nurses stepped in and helped. They really didn't seem to know what they were doing, very disappointing. As soon as Brian was feeling well enough we got out of there and went home. It was a little rough at home last night but as I said earlier Brian is feeling much better today.

Roger

We're very seriously considering go to Working to Walk in April.
    Hi Roger, -do that if possible. I personally think this time it will have some of the worlds very best lecture giving researchers as for the current research situation on regeneration and biomed basic research therapies there, -along with other great lectures aimed to help various aspects of SCI, all mixed with a collaboration of scientists, spinal cord injured, next of kin etc. I doubt there are any other places in this world when SCId ppl, the next of kin, researchers and others interested in this field can have a direct communication, with respect to panel discussions or just to mingle and talk with scientists and other SCId, just like that. The social aspect is also very important, so a tip to the folks behind all this; please make room for social activities, - that is often the future fuel J

W2W http://www.working2walk.org/ with U2FP does an enormous great job to make that happen. I personally would have loved to go to Washington DC this time (never been at the rallies), especially for the above, to listen to all the great lectures, -but as we know, the battle for a SCI cure or to ease SCI is fought on several battlefronts, and on this date in April I’m heading to Sweden on a meeting in Stockholm, at the Karolinska Institute to discuss and see what to help out for as for the Scandinavian spinal cord injury register. Such a register, if pushed a tad, could be the alpha and omega as for many clinical trials.

Anyway Roger, keep on keeping on. And as for waiting at hospitals on a cold room waiting, done that, - we now just fix that, by uniting and tell what we want, right? Don’t take any prisoners, as they say. And good luck to you folks.

What a relief Brian is finally feeling well again. The UTI and the complications are finally over. Today, he rode the RT300 and used the Standing Frame for over an hour. The exercise makes a big difference in how he feels.

I monitor the Carecure Cure Forum continuously everyday. It doesn't seem that there has been much posted in recent weeks. I hope that's because the researchers are saving their announcements for Working to Walk. That's my dream and I can only pray that it's comes true.

Now that Brian's feeling better he has got to get back on track. He's taking an on-line immunology class from UC Berkeley. The weekly questions that he has to write answers for are unbelievable. Not an easy class by any measure. The week before last he submitted a 10 page document answering the question for that week. The class lectures each week are written documents that he downloads and reads. Now that he's feeling better he has started working on the class. Fortunately it's a self paced class and he has six months to complete it. So he hasn't fallen behind because he was sick last week.

A few weeks ago Brian sent an email to one of the Deans at the University of Arizona School of Medicine asking for a one year extension on his MCAT scores. Normally the MCAT scores are only valid for three years. Brian lost the last year because of his accident. I'm pretty disappointed because the man hasn't even responded to Brian's email. I find that to be unbelievable.

Roger