Page 13 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Quote Originally Posted by cheesecake
    Roger~
    I was there yesterday but had no breathing room. Is Brian at Fairmont or Broadway for therapy? I will be there early Thursday. I will send you an email with more.
    Will you be returning to Baltimore before Brian finishes?
    Hello Cheesecake

Sorry I missed you last week. We were still trying to get things together.

Brian is a Fairmont for therapy. He usually starts at 11:00 AM with OT then has PT starting at 1:00 PM with Echo. I haven't made any reservations yet to return to Baltimore but I may because they've been extended another week. I have a list of DIY things that I have to do at our home while everyone else is in Baltimore.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    A SCI Medical Question!!!!!

My son Brian just called me from Baltimore with a question about his injury. Brian has a C6-C7 complete SCI. Today for the first time he noticed that he was perspiring below his injury level. Is this at all significant.

Roger
    I would suggest he call the nurse Pat G at KKI, she can run it past Dr. Sadowsky. It isn't something you generally expect to see.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Thanks Cheesecake

I forwarded the message to Brian.

Roger

Brian will be at the Kennedy Krieger Institute until Sept 28. He was extended an extra week. We were hoping that he would be extended since we have the apartment rented until Oct 2. At KKI Brian is using the EasyStand 6000, the RT 300 bike and the EMPI electrical stimulation. We have prescriptions to get all of these items. This will be another battle for me to fight with the insurance company. When I call Blue Shield of California the representative tells me that there are no limits or exclusions in Brian's PPO policy so whatever he has a prescription for Blue Shield will buy. That sounds too simple. Other people in the health care business have told me that Blue Shield won't pay for equipment like the RT 300 bike. I don't know why the Blue Shield representative would tell me that Blue Shield will pay for the equipment if it isn't true. In any event we're getting the equipment and I deal with the Blue Shield.

When Brian went to KKI he wasn't convinced that this therapy would help him recover function. He kept asking for scientific evidence that showed why the Activity Based Restorative Therapy was beneficial. He said that the explanations of why the ABRT worked were more anecdotal than scientific. His opinion must have changed because he wants to get this equipment to continue the therapy. I'll find out more when my wife, daughter and Brian get home on Sept 29. In the mean time I'm doing some more work on the house and trying to get the equipment so that when they get home we'll have everything. Brian will continue the out patient therapy at St. Josephs Hospital in Phoenix when he gets home. I know that the people at St. Josephs want to know what Brian has been doing in Baltimore and how their therapy compares. When Brian returns from KKI he'll have a PowerPoint presentation with pictures of him showing how to do the exercises and where to put the electrical stimulation pads. I'm sure the therapists at St. Josephs will be interest in this PowerPoint. I think this sharing of information is great. If the therapists at St. Josephs learn anything at all from Brian's therapy at KKI I will be thrilled.

Something is really bothering me. When Brian was first taken to St. Josephs the first neurologist that I met was visiting from the Miami Project. He was on a six month fellowship at St. Josephs. The NFL player who was hurt a couple of weeks ago was given an experimental procedure developed at the Miami Project that possibly helped him significantly. His blood was chilled to reduce his body temperature to 92F. I believe that this reduced the swelling and minimized further damage to the spinal cord. Why didn't the neurologist I met mention this procedure to us. I asked him what can be done to help Brian.

Roger

Roger~ I was at KKI about a week ago and had hoped to see Brian as our times crossed. I was getting some treatment for a bad shoulder/arm. Unfortunately after 13 injections and abad case of shakes, I had my friend drive me home.
    Can you have your wife or Brian email me at work, or call me and maybe I can meet them before he leaves.
    Thanks,
    Cheesecake

P.S. I have seen the take home folders and pictures, really makes it easy for the patient as well as outside therapists.

My wife daughter and Brian returned to Phoenix on Sat Sept 28 from Baltimore. Brian's opinion of the Kennedy Krieger Institute's therapy is mixed. A lot depends on the particular therapist that worked with him. The first two weeks he felt like the PT therapist was good but the last two weeks he worked with a student that he didn't think was good. There seems to be a significant turn over of therapists at KKI. While we were there two of the therapists left. Brian told me that he thinks that the Shepherd Center Day program therapy was better. As time goes by possibly his opinion will temper. I personally believe that he learned somethings and we're in the process now of obtaining an EasyStand 6000 standing frame, an electrical stimulation machine and a RT 300 bike. Brian used this equipment more at KKI than he did at Shepherd. I'm having trouble finding an EasyStand 6000. This model has been replace by the EasyStand Evolv. Brian has tried both pieces of equipment and prefers the EasyStand 6000. A man from Southwest Medical called me today and said he was working on locating an EasyStand 6000. I saw a shower chair on Carecure.org that might be just what we need, www.GoesAnywhere.com. Our bathroom and shower have been a real problem area. We purchased an Active Aid shower/commode chair but it really hasn't worked well for us. Our bathroom and shower enclosure are just too small. If anyone has a similar problem take a look at the GoesAnywhere web site. Like I said this could solve our problem. It's not cheap but I'm getting desperate to find a solution.

Today, Brian went back to the out patient therapy at St. Joseph's in Phoenix . I don't know if Brian wants to go back to the Neuro Institute for Physical Therapy. The Neuro Institute owner tends to be a high pressure salesman type and this doesn't sit well.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 10-02-2007 at 08:56 PM.

I'm working on getting the equipment for home that we need to continue Brian's rehab. Yesterday. I received a letter from Blue Shield of California denying the RT-300 bike. The Blue Shield letter said:

"The clinical rationale is that there is no scientific evidence that this cycle has long term benefits. It is considered investigational and not in accord with Blue Shield of California Medical Policy."

I called Restorative Therapies and told them about the letter. The representative at Restorative Therapies said that it's difficult to get Blue Shield of California to pay for this equipment even when evidence is submitted that countradicts their claims. Judy, at Restorative Therapies is going to file a grievance in an attempt to overturn this denial.
    In the mean time Brian is going to out-patient therapy at St. Josephs three times a week. He uses a RT-300 at St. Josephs. I consider this to be the first step in the process to get Blue Shield to pay for this equipment.

Roger

Yesterday, I drove to Albuquerque and purchased an EasyStand 6000 Glider from a Carecure member Sporto. He was no longer using the standing frame and wanted to free up some floor space. Little by little we're getting the home equipment that we need. I paid $800 for the Easy Stand 6000 Glider so I'll submit a claim to Blue Shield and see what they say. They'll probably say what they usually say DENIED. Buying a used EasyStand 6000 was really the only option because the EasyStand 6000 is no longer being manufactured. My son has tried the EasyStand Envolv and the EasyStand 6000 and he prefers the EasyStand 6000. I was happy to locate this equipment within driving distance of Phoenix.

The next piece of equipment we need to get is the RT-300 bike.

Roger

Roger, I know that Brian's doctor when he was at KKI has been successful in getting another notorius insurance company to pay when it went to the hearing phase. Since she has written much of the research, keep that in mind.
    Great to know that things are coming together bit by bit.

Thanks Cheesecake

I'll keep that in mind when I'm talking to the lady who handles insurance issues at restorative therapies. I'm going to start working on the RT-300 tomorrow.

Roger