Page 12 of 117 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

I've made most of the arrangements for out trip to KKI in Baltimore. With Cheesecake's help I've gotten the rental car worked out. I found out something interesting. Renting a Dodge Magnum from Enterprise at their downtown location is much cheaper than renting the same car at the airport. At the airport for 25 days it costs $1730 at the downtown location the same car rents for $980.
    Cheesecake recommended a cab service from the airport to downtown, ~$30. So that's what we're going to do. We arrive in Baltimore Sept 3 at 6:PM we'll take the cab service to our apartment near the harbor. The next morning I'll go over to the Enterprise office 1.5 miles from out apartment and pick up the rental car.

The KKI Fairmount location, where Brian will have therapy, is 1.1 miles from our apartment at the Promenade. The KKI Broadway location, where Brian will have his medical appointment, is 1.5 miles from the apartment. I've printed out GOOGLE maps of the area. I like the idea of taking the cab service from the airport to our apartment, I don't have to navigate in an unfamiliar congested area and $30 is less than the cost of renting the car for a day.

Right now Brian is getting ready for his therapy at KKI. He has 4 hour OT and PT therapy sessions at St. Josephs hospital twice a week. The other three days he has 1 hour PT sessions at the Nero Institute. Brian hopes to build his strength so that when he goes to KKI he can take full advantage of what they have to offer.

I can't tell you how much help the CARECURE.org website has been to us. Thank you to Dr. Young, Dr. Morton, Cheesecake and everyone else who has made suggestions and comments.

Roger

Phoenix Hospitals...

I too am in Phoenix and my Husband id physical therapy (in patient) at good sam. They are wonderful, attentive and will not send you away until they are confident you are ready.

Also, i'm not sure if they have Phys Ther., but Banner Estrella in the west valley is about the best hospital that ive ever been to. My grandfather passed away from cancer in April and he spent most of his final days there. Would absolutely recommend!

Good luck to you!

Wow, I can't believe the difference in price from the airport vs. downtown! Good idea to take the cab downtown from the airport.

To drive from the Promenade to KKI will be very easy, esp because you won't be in the middle of the "major" downtown traffic. The Broadway location is several blocks past the Fairmount location(which is just off Broadway Ave). And KKI had valet parking at both locations, so no need to worry about finding a parking spot.

My sister actually ends her therapy at KKI on August 30th. She'll have an intense home program to work on once she leaves KKI. She may, however, go to OT once a week since she is having shoulder problems and they want to tape her(subluxation in the right shoulder - one step foward, two steps back), so maybe she'll be able to meet and talk w/ Brian.

Good luck with everything and I hope you have a safe trip!

~Heidi

Glad to know this worked out. Looking forward to meeting.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

I found out over the weekend from another parent who was recently at KKI that Enterprise gives a 15% discount to KKI patients. That decreases the cost of the rental car to $832.

Roger

Just keeps getting better. Helps to save a bit here and there.

We arrived in Baltimore this afternoon. Brian has his first appointment at KKI Tuesday at 11:00AM. We took a cab from the airport to our apartment at The Promenade. The cab service was recommended by Cheesecake. Lynette the cab driver was very nice and I would also recommend her to anyone unfamiliar with the area. From the airport to downtown Baltimore was $30. I'm going over to Enterprise and pickup our rental car tomorrow morning. I've request a Dodge Magnum but they won't guarantee a particular car.
    I thought I had figured out that the least expensive company to rent an apartment from was Marriott ExecuStay but I got that wrong. A lady we met at The Shepherd Center is renting an identical apartment in the Promenade from Chase Street Properties for $3900/month and we're paying $4300/month from Marriott ExecuStay.

I hope while we're at KKI that we have the opportunity to meet Dr. McDonald. Last February just after Brian's accident Dr. McDonald sent me an email in which he recommended surgery at Barrows, acute rehab at Shepherd or Craig and then Activity Based Restorative Therapy at KKI. We've followed his recommendation exactly.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 09-04-2007 at 01:22 AM.

Hi Roger,
    Glad you arrive ok. Lynette called to let me know that you had gotten in and were good to go. I also heard what a nice family you are. I never had any doubts.
    Please give me a call and we can connect.

Sorry I missed you Cheesecake but things were hectic getting settled into a routine. Marriott ExecuStay has NO customer service. They can't even do the simplest things the first time, like give you a key for the apartment or give you the security pass for the parking garage. It took several telephone calls just to get these two simple tasks accomplished. Cheesecake had suggested renting from Chase Street Properties and she was right for several reasons. Chase Street Properties didn't have any vacancies when I called that's how I ended up talking to Marriott ExecuStay. Anyway things seem to be straightened out for now.

Brian is receiving therapy at KKI, my wife and daughter are with him in Baltimore. Sunday morning I flew back to Phoenix. Today, we got word that the therapy at KKI has been extended to Sept 28. We were hoping to get the therapy extended because we have the apartment rented for 30 days.
    Yesterday, I sent Dr. McDonald an email and asked him to explain to Brian in technical terms why Activity Based Restorative Therapy is beneficial to SCI patients. Brian has a basic understanding of the technical aspects of SCI injuries, anecdotal explanations are insufficient to answer his questions. I want him to be totally convinced that ABRT has a solid scientific basis.

Brian's PT is very good and has promised to get us scripts and letters of medical necessity for a RT300 bike and a standing frame. Unfortunately Friday 9/14 is her last day at KKI. Her husband is returning from service in Iraq and they're moving to Hawaii. We need to have these things taken care of this week.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 09-10-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Roger~
    I was there yesterday but had no breathing room. Is Brian at Fairmont or Broadway for therapy? I will be there early Thursday. I will send you an email with more.
    Will you be returning to Baltimore before Brian finishes?