Page 117 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1767107108109110111112113114115116117
Results 1,161 to 1,166 of 1166

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Thanks for the update Roger. Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy 2019.

I hope that Brian's CMS division isn't affected by the shutdown.

I was in Baltimore a week ago and went with Brian to pickup his new Ford Explorer from the shop where the final modifications were completed. The entire process to get the Explorer took almost six months. Brian brought the Explorer and the Maryland vocational rehab paid for the modifications, $35,000. Braun Ability made the modifications to add the side entry ramp and a local mobility vendor added a few other features. It's all very expensive. Brian had been using a 2009 modified Honda Element. The Element is being shipped to Phoenix so Brian can use it when he's here in Phoenix.

Things are going well for Brian at his job. As it turns out Brian didn't change jobs rather he's on an assignment in a different group. When that work is completed he'll return to his original job working on the Bundled Care Model. At the Center for Medicare Services, CMS, models are developed that are used to administer the Medicare programs. Developing these models is more complicated that you might imagine. CMS hires consulting companies to do most bio-statistics work but the people at CMS have to understand the details. Brian has always been very strong in math so he's better at understanding the mathematics than most people. When Brian was in the Masters of Public Health program at Hopkins he took a class in bio-statistics. Near the end of the class he checked his scores on the tests and homework and realized that he had not missed a single point and any test or homework assignment. At CMS he's the go to guy when there's a question about the mathematics used in the Bundled Care Model.

My wife flies back to Baltimore in a couple of weeks then I go to Baltimore for Easter in early April.

Roger

Roger,
    You well deserve the mantle of proud papa.

I travel to Baltimore next Thursday for the Easter weekend. Ann is in Baltimore now with Brian.

Brian likes the Ford Explorer and his Honda Element is now in Phoenix. I use the Element to pickup my 98 year old mother who's in a wheelchair. There's not much new going on. Brian has had a few issues with the Explorer and I'll have to repair an electrical connector that was damaged when Brian was getting into the Explorer with his power wheelchair.

Brian has two old powerchairs that are not operational. Does anyone know how these can be disposed of? Brian tried to find someone who would except them as a donation but he was told that power wheelchairs are not accepted because of legal liability.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Brian has two old powerchairs that are not operational. Does anyone know how these can be disposed of? Brian tried to find someone who would except them as a donation but he was told that power wheelchairs are not accepted because of legal liability.

Roger
    A couple years ago, when I got a new power chair the durable medical equipment company I worked with had an agreement with a local Muscular Dystrophy chapter, who accepted the donation of the power chair and a patient lift. The way it worked is that I contacted the MS chapter and told them what I had to donate. The MS chapter made a decision about whether they wanted the chair or not. Then the durable medical equipment company picked up the chair from me, rehabbed the chair and delivered it to the MS chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Who did he offer them to? I agree with approaching the local MS Society chapter, as they often maintain a used equipment bank for their members. When my mother passed away, I sold her Permobil for a ridiculously low price on Craig's List to the family of a person with a new SCI who was still in rehab, and whose insurance would not cover a power chair.

Here are some other organizations that may take them: https://www.wheelchairfoundation.org...organizations/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.