Page 111 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1161101102103104105106107108109110111112113 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1126

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Brian has been in training all week learning how to write contracts. He really likes this job he just has to feel that he's being respected. He knows that he's making a major contribution and his first and second level supervisors know that as well. So I believe that it's only a matter of time. Realistically he's only been working at CMS six months.

I go to Baltimore next Thursday for the weekend. Brian brought a new Sleep Number bed and dresser and he wants me to set it up. Ann will fly back to Phoenix on Monday. I have Companion Pass Status on Southwest so whenever Ann and I fly together her ticket is free.

Roger

2drwhofans

I would not want to be treated by a intern who has been working 24 or 28 hours straight and I can't imagine any patient who would.

Roger

Things have been pretty quiet, that's why I haven't posted recently. I go to Baltimore next Thursday. Brian still likes his job a lot but he's still pursuing the Grade Level protest. The hiring free is over so Brian submitted the paperwork to protest his Grade Level. I keep telling him to be careful not to upset his manager or his manager's boss.

I'm getting an better understanding of what caused the problem. As I understand it, Brian applied for a job at CMS but didn't get it because the budget was cut. The supervisor at CMS who interviewed Brian recommended Brian to another supervisor who had an opening. Brian was interviewed again and was offered a position at CMS working for this other supervisor. The position that Brian accepted was offered under the Schedule A program. That was Brian's mistake accepting a job at a lower grade level under the Schedule A program. When Brian was hired his supervisor told him that after 90 days they would protest his grade level and he would be promoted to a more appropriate grade level based on his qualifications. The Schedule A program is supposed to level the competitive playing field for someone with a disability, in Brian's case because of his qualifications he didn't need any special considerations. He was qualified to be a strong contributor and team leader. He has demonstrated that in the work that he's done at CMS. Other members of the team don't come close to Brian's qualifications, BS Business Administration from Cal Berkeley, MSPH from Johns Hopkins School of Public Health and MD degree from Johns Hopkins Medical School. The HR person at CMS has taken advantage of Brian's mistake of accepting a job at CMS under the Schedule A program.

Eventually his grade level will be corrected because Brian is such a strong contributor, but in the meantime Brian has to be careful how hard he pushes this issue. Right now it's a matter of pride, he's leading the team and everyone else on the team is 3 or 4 grade levels higher than him.

Roger

Looking back at your prior posts, Brian began Federal employment in October 2016.

He is still a probationary employee until October 2017 (unless his job description included a longer probationary time period).

As a probationer, he is considered a candidate for permanent employment.

Yes, he's better, smarter and more qualified than his supervisor. That same supervisor is going to be the one to recommend him for permanent employment later this year.

..."in the meantime Brian has to be careful how hard he pushes this issue." is good advice.
    Last edited by 2drwhofans; 04-20-2017 at 09:26 AM.

2drshofans

Fortunately Brian's supervisor and the supervisor's boss both recognize that Brian is a strong contributor and deserves to be a higher grade level. The HR person is the one who's holding Brian back. It has always amazed me how much power HR wheels within an organization.

Something I should have mentioned. When Brian was hired under the Schedule A program it was an abbreviated process and one of the things that was omitted in the process was the inclusion of prior work experience in his resume. After Brian accepted the job HR used the argument that he didn't have previous work experience to justify why he was offered a lower grade level. The facts are that Brian did have previous healthcare consulting experience but he wasn't allowed to include it in his resume and when he pointed this out to the HR they refused to reconsider. It certainly seems like HR is abusing the Schedule A program intent.

Roger

Good luck with HR.

If he applied online, he should have been able to upload his full resume. Unclear why that same resume opportunity wasn't given to him even if it was an internal process.

Hopefully he is finding fulfillment at work. He may be in for a long slog trying to change his pay grade. A consultation with a Federal Employment attorney might give him some insight into whether he has any options at this point.

BTW, Schedule A hires have a 2 year probationary period:

Schedule A, 5 CFR 213.3102(u), for hiring people with severe physical disabilities, psychiatric disabilities, and intellectual disabilities. This excepted authority is used to appoint persons with severe physical disabilities, psychiatric disabilities, and intellectual disabilities. Such individuals may qualify for conversion to permanent status after two years of satisfactory service. Severe physical disabilities include but are not limited to blindness, deafness, paralysis, missing limbs, epilepsy, dwarfism, and more.

There's other important differences for Schedule A hires defined in this EEOC link. See the FAQ section.
    https://www1.eeoc.gov//eeoc/publicat...#_Toc425085012

Last edited by 2drwhofans; 04-21-2017 at 09:26 AM.

I know you mentioned the HR person is taking advantage of Brian, yes, but looking at both sides, it seems that was the only way to hire Brian due to the hiring freeze in the regular hiring process. As 2drwhofans pointed out the probationary period is 2 years for Schedule A appointments - if the HR person did not make this clear to Brian, that may be a reason added to the appeal request.
    I would try to investigate, privately, all the rules of Schedule A appointments. I am wondering if the statement about it is in concrete. That is, 'may' qualify 'after two years': Perhaps they might qualify after 6 months.
    Meanwhile, "networking" may be a good strategy for Brian. Any opportunity he has to meet and form relationships with other Federal employees at training, conferences, in-service, cafeteria, etc., etc. may help him explore opportunities, and demonstrate his skills to others outside this particular HR department.
    In one Civil Service job I held, I was offered a promotion type position by another disabled person in another department, whom I had met several times at conferences. I was happy where I was. Don't think my boss would have been pleased with this if he ever found out about it.

triumph

When Brian was hired in October I don't think that there was a hiring freeze. The freeze happened after Trump took office.

When Brian was hired he was told by HR that he qualified for Grade Level 11 because he didn't have previous applicable work experience. Brian immediately told the HR person that the abbreviated four page resume that he completed for the Schedule A job didn't ask for work experience. He added that in September he had submitted a more comprehensive ten page resume that included his previous Health Care Consulting experience. A that point the HR person told Brian that they would not consider the work experience from the resume submitted in September.

Roger

That being the case, that he was hired under Schedule A before any freeze, it seems he would have a good argument to have his Schedule A converted to regular hire. It seems this HR person is not exploring any options. When I worked in Civil Service there was something called a "Desk Audit". I believe the employee would be able to have an 'official audit' of his actual duties/skills compared to work experience, education level, etc. If it was determined that the employee was actually doing more than the pay grade they were at, then their pay grade was raised.
    It appears Brian brings much more to this position than others at his level and he should be remunerated for it for sure.