Page 11 of 113 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Quote Originally Posted by heidigo
    Roger,

My sister, Amber, is currently in outpatient therapy at Kennedy Krieger and it has been excellent. That is great Brian will be starting there in September. Is Brian staying inpatient at KKI?

As to places to stay, has KKI provided any recommendations?? Unfortunately, the area around KKI and John Hopkins(a couple blocks away) is not the nicest area. I personally would not stay in that area. Traffic during rush hour(morning and evening) can be bad esp right around the Inner Harbor area, but off hours it's ok. I go downtown to pick Amber up from therapy 2 evenings a week @ 6pm and it's hit or miss with traffic.

~Heidi
    Heidi

Brian would be an out-patient at KKI. I have a list of hotels that KKI sent to me. I'm going to start calling them Thursday.

Thanks

Roger

Roger,

Yes, I would agree that I would not feel comfortable walking around KKI, esp in the evening and at night. So from that I would say yes, you will need to rent a car. How long is Brian scheduled for outpatient therapy? Do you know what times he is scheduled?

Let me know what hotels you are looking at - I'm sure Jack or I can provide feedback. Hotels that are around the Inner Harbor would be okay - there are a lot of activities and places to eat that you can walk to and may be more convenient for Brian then getting him in and out of the car everywhere you go, but then you're going to be paying a higher price to stay there. Hotels around BWI airport are good too - it's only about maybe 15 mins to KKI from that area.

Heidi

I've called several of the hotels that are at the harbor and close to Kennedy Krieger they're not cheap. The Holiday in Express was $169/night Monday-Thursday and $299/night Friday-Sunday. A more reasonable place that rents by the month is Marriott ExecuStay and Chase Street Properties. Both of these companies rent furnished one and two bedroom condo's. I have a reservation with Marriott starting Sept 3 at a high rise building near the water called the Promenade. There are so pretty nice pictures of the Promenade on the Marriott website. It's about 5 miles south of Kennedy Krieger. I got the name of another property management company from Cheesecake. It's called Chase Street Properties. They also rents condo's in the Promenade but they won't know about availability for a couple of weeks. I think Chase Street Properties is a little less expensive so I'll wait and see if that works out. The two bedroom condo looks good. It's in a nice area, full kitchen and a nice secure building. The only negative is that the Kennedy Krieger Shuttle doesn't stop at the Promenade. That means we either rent a car or take a cab to Kennedy Krieger. I'm going to continue calling places to see what else I can find.

Roger

you should also make sure the place is handicap accessable. the bathrooms especially. we had trouble with that when i was thinking of staying in the city during outpatient.

I've confirmed my reservation for 30 days at the Promenade in Baltimore starting Sept 3. Brian begins treatment at KKI on Sept 4. I called several hotels and two condo rental companies, Chase Street Properties and Marriott ExecuStay. The best deal was Marriott ExecuStay. Chase Street Properties was going to be about $350 more than Marriott for a similar 2 bedroom apartment at the Promenade. Marriott doesn't offer van service so we will need to rent a car. Chase Street Properties had van service but it wasn't wheel chair accessible. We'll probably rent a Chevy Equinox mid size SUV from Alamo. The passenger seat in the Equinox is about 23 inches above the ground which is the right height for the using a slide board to transfer. The wheel chair will fit into the rear area without being taken apart.

I'm going to send Marriott ExecuStay an email to find out if the bathroom in the apartment is accessible, I doubt that it will be. We have a shower chair and shower head that we can take to Baltimore. We might have to buy a shower chair that's more portable than the Active Aid shower chair that we currently have.

Roger

Roger, just so you know, if a hotel or other properly offers non-wheelchair accessible shuttle service (either for free or for a fee), the ADA requires them to provide equal wheelchair transport when requested, even if they have to contract this out to another company. They cannot charge more for this than they would charge for their regular shuttle (if there is a charge). You may want to go up the corporate ladder with this information before settling on more expensive lodgings just to get wheelchair transportation.

Be sure to ask specifically about a roll-in shower with no lip, not just an "accessible" room, because there is no set definition of what the latter means. Also ask about door widths and if you use a lift, be sure it is not a platform bed.

(KLD)

Today I went to our local Chevy dealership and measured the height from the ground to the passenger seat of the Equinox SUV. This is the car that I've rented for our stay in Baltimore. It measured 29 inches from the ground to the passenger seat. When I had looked at the Equinox last week the dealership was closed and the car was locked. It looked like the passenger seat was lower but I couldn't get an accurate measurement. Today the car was open so I measured the seat height accurately. I think 29 inches might be too high, Brian's wheel chair cushion is 23 inches above the ground. Even with the long transfer board a 6 inch differential is a seems like a lot.
    Does any know what rental car is the best for transferring from a wheel chair. I also want a car that we can easily store the wheel chair.

Roger

Roger-
    check into the Dodge Magnum...I understand it's a fairly level transfer & that it's got lots of room to put the chair fully assembled in the rear hatch.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    Roger-
    check into the Dodge Magnum...I understand it's a fairly level transfer & that it's got lots of room to put the chair fully assembled in the rear hatch.
    Broknwing

You're exactly right. I went to a Dodge dealer and looked at the Magnum. The seat was about 24 inches above the ground and the rear hatch is large enough for the wheel chair. My son's wheel chair seat is 23 inches above the ground.

The problem now is reserving a Magnum at a car rental company. I've called 8 car rental companies and no one would guarantee that I would get a Dodge Magnum. To the car rental companies a Dodge Magnum is the same as a Ford Taurus or a Chrysler 300. Avis tried the hardest to accomodate me but they didn't have a Magnum in Baltimore.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 08-15-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Roger, Call Enterprise in Edgewood or corporate in MD at BWI. Explain the situation and they will probably be able to assist as they carry lots of Dodge vehicles. Another option is the Nissan Maximum that they offer. I believe the trunk would work and they are an easy transfer, comfortable for 4-5 and roomy. The manager at Edgewood should assist. Email me at work and I can give you their "buzz words"
    Every day I wake up is a good one