Page 109 of 113 FirstFirst ... 95999100101102103104105106107108109110111112113 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1121

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

I was in Baltimore for six days over Thanksgiving. Brian is doing well at work but the real proof will be when he goes to HR in January and protests his current grade level. I don't know how often protests like this are successful.

On Saturday I installed the automatic light control on Brian's Honda Element. I found a website that had flawless instructions on how to install the 545T Nite Lite Module on a Honda Element. I'm tempted to call the auto alarm business that we paid $85 to install the Nite Lite but failed. The technician at the alarm shop spent several hours trying but in the end he just couldn't figure it out. His big mistake was he didn't want to listen to anyone because he thought that he could figure it out himself.

Ann is flying back to Phoenix Dec 7 to go to Christmas party with her girl friends. She loves going to this annual party and hates it whenever she misses the party. On Dec 16 Ann and I fly to Baltimore for Christmas then a couple days later my daughter and her husband fly to Baltimore from LA to spend Christmas in Baltimore. It's going to be a crowded two bedroom condo again this year.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Smashms View Post
    KLD i think he is not going to be as bad as everyone is making it out to be however we will have to wait and see!
    Much discussion in the last few days of his announced plans to get rid of Medicare entirely, and to "privatize" the system requiring people to purchase private insurance. I am dubious.

Public health is not the same as all health care federal employees.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Take it to the Politics forum. This is an awesome thread. Don't sully it.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Brian's manager at CMS treats him very well. Yesterday, Brian had to take off work because my wife was very ill. Brian took her to the emergency room where they did a CT scan to identify what was causing her so much stomach pain. It was finally determined that it was diverticulitis so she was given antibiotics and sent home.

When Brian finally got home he logged onto his work computer and started working on a document that he needs to have done Thursday, he stayed up most of the night working on the document. Today, when Brian filled out his time card and put down that he took a vacation day yesterday his manager said no you didn't. She had seen that Brian was working on his computer from home. She told him to change his time card. In my opinion that's how a good boss manages. An employee is happy to put in extra effort.

Roger

Great that Brian has an understanding boss. She rewards someone like him who is a dedicated employee.
    Just a question about the Honda Element you mentioned - I really like that model and a few years ago we went to look at it. Just wondering how Brian's Honda is set up for entering it. Is it a lift, a ramp? Are there other modifications for it, such as lowered floor. If a ramp, is he able to push up it independently?

Triumph

Brian's Honda Element was modified by Freedom Motors in Battle Creek Michigan. The modifications were extensive, the floor lowered and a passenger side ramp. Brian can push up the ramp but lately he's been using a power chair. A few years ago Honda discontinued the Element model so I don't think that Freedom Motors is making any new modified Elements. Brian's Element is a 2009. He purchased a new Element then had it shipped to Freedom to be modified. The total cost for the Element was a lot. $22,000 for the Element and $33,000 for the modifications.

There have been some mechanical problems that have been resolved so everything is working good. Brian purchased a Honda extended warranty that is proven to to worthless. Every time we took the car to Honda to have something fixed they said that there was no warranty coverage because the car was modified. Even when the modifications had nothing to do with the problem that I was attempting to get fixed.

On the down side because of the stiffened suspension and the short wheelbase the ride is kind of rough for passengers in the back seat. Brian is thinking about buying a new SUV. Maryland vocational rehab has offered to pay for the modifications if Brian buys the SUV. He's looking for something a little larger because the powerchair is a tight fit in the Element.

Roger

Thanks for the info. Didn't know the Element model was discontinued. They are also discontinuing the Ford full size van, which is a model we have used for years. Our 2010 has the two power side doors and Braun fully powered tri-fold lift, which I recently learned is another discontinued item. We have two 6 way power seats as well, and this system has worked reliably for us. (Both wheelers).
    We've also checked out the mini-van conversions, but very tight fit the two of us. Thankfully our vans (the other one is a 2005, also used regularly), are in good shape.
    Too bad there are not a lot of options for modified vehicles. A few decades ago we used cars with hand controls, but the shoulders started to give out from lugging the chair in and out.
    Hope Brian can get something super easy to use.

I was talking to Brian the other day and he mentioned that he'll be on probation at CMS for two years. He was hired using an expedited process for an employee with a disability but as a result he's on probation for two years. He's not concerned about it because his boss has told him that he's doing very well. What bothers me is that Brian lost his UNUM disability payments as soon as he started working but he's on probation at CMS for two years. That just doesn't seem right. What would be fair is for UNUM to suspend the disability payments while Brian is working but if for some reason Brian was terminated during the two year probation period then the disability payments would resume.

Roger

Most Federal Employees have a 1 year probationary period after hire. Physicians, Dentists, Nurses, Physicians Assistants, Podiatrists, Chiropractors, etc. are hired under a statute called "Title 38" and have a 2 year probationary period. It makes sense now why Brian's boss took up his cause to get him a pay grade raise. Physicians working in clinical roles are hired as "Medical Officers" at the GS-15 level. My best guess is that the cap for Brian's job was a GS-12 because it could have been filled by a non-medical person with healthcare administrative experience- someone with a Masters of Health Administration degree for example. Federal probationary period is not relevant to insurance companies. To them, Brian is a full time employee. The chances of him getting the boot after 2 years is minuscule. He will probably get promoted to a supervisory role after a year or so.

2drwhofans

Thanks for the explanation. Your conclusions fits the situation exactly.

I fly to Baltimore on Friday for Christmas. After Christmas my wife and I are taking the Greyhound bus to New York City. We're staying in NYC one night and going to the Radio City Christmas Show. I would have preferred traveling from Baltimore to NYC by train but it was way more expensive than the bus. A round trip ticket on Amtrak was $300 and a round trip Greyhound ticket was $80.

Roger