Page 108 of 113 FirstFirst ... 8589899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113 LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1123

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Brian has been working at the Center for Medicare Services for about four weeks and so far so good. He's really likes the work and he's very busy. One day a week he works from home and on the other days the hours are flexible. Two days a week he's able to leave work at ~4:00 pm and go to Kennedy Krieger to workout. If there's a negative, the commute to and from work can be challenging because of the traffic but like I said so far so good.

Roger

Everything is going well at CMS and Brian is working hard. His boss has put him in for 10 hours per week overtime for the rest of the year.

Brian received an email today notifying him that the paper that he has working on has been accepted for publication in the Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. The title of the paper is: Functional Goals and Predictors of their Attainment in Low-Income Community Dwelling Adults. I wouldn't want to add up the total number of hours that Brian spent on this paper. It was a big effort coding and analyzing all of the patient data.

Tomorrow, my wife and I fly to Baltimore for Thanksgiving. I'll fly back to Phoenix on the Monday after Thanksgiving and Ann will stay in Baltimore for two weeks before flying back to Phoenix.

Roger

Congrats to Brian on his publication! I look forward to reading it in the journal. Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!

(KLD)

Great news! Wish I had access to that publication as I'd like to read it.
    Very best to you and your family for the holidays!

The government gives you a step increase automatically every 2 years. If congress approves- you get a big 1% pay raise if it is not frozen- we didn't get one for 3 of the last 10 years. However, there are awards for incentive- like publishing an article etc.. Some Mangers are very generous , some not. We have already heard how tight the budget is for the upcoming year. The best thing about working for the government is that you get a pension- I believe after 3 years of employment you are eligible and you get 1% for every year of employment when you retire- I think you have to be age 55 or 59.
    CWO

Trump transition team is discussing eliminating the pension for federal employees, and offering only a 401k without matching funds, as well as hiring freezes, and possibly even salary cuts for the "overpaid" federal employees, so can't depend upon what has been done in the past as far as benefits, salaries, etc. etc.

(KLD)

I talked with Brian today. It turns out that the initial funding provided to Johns Hopkins for the paper that he wrote was provided by CMS. The paper was reviewed and approved by CMS prior to being submitted for publication. So CMS is well aware that Brian has written a health care policy paper that's being published. Earlier this week Brian's boss to him for him to update his resume and then talk to HR about submitting a protest of his current grade level. We'll see sometime in January if Brian's grade level is adjusted.

Roger

great news of the publication congrats Brian you deserve it!! hopefully with the new president transition his job won't be effected. good luck Brian sounds like they love you!!!
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

KLD i think he is not going to be as bad as everyone is making it out to be however we will have to wait and see!
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

KLD:
    If these proposed changes to federal retirement are implemented, they would be for new hires. The TSP G-fund has been used almost annually as a federal piggy bank for balancing the budget numbers.

Not that I expect campaign promises to be kept, but the President-Elect's first 100 day plan exempts those in medical professions:
    "a hiring freeze on all federal employees
    to reduce the federal workforce through attrition(exempting military, public safety, and public health). "

Roger:
    Please congratulate Brian on his article getting accepted for publication. Also, what a great boss he has going to bat with HR to get him a higher pay grade.