Page 107 of 111 FirstFirst ... 757979899100101102103104105106107108109110111 LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1110

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Just a comment on my experience with LTD. Soon after starting my job I was offered LTD; at the time I needed every penny and did not sign up for it, put it out of my mind. Surprisingly, after retirement at age 55 I received an application in the mail - it was LTD for retirees. I filled out page one and then turned over to page 2 where the first lines stated: 'if you are in a wheelchair do not proceed as you will be ineligible for this insurance'.
    Highly recommend it to disabled persons who are employed and would be part of a "group" benefit.
    I had hoped to supplement my SS, especially as I would be needing to hire some help.
    It is important to note that most/all doctors won't go to bat for you if you had an SCI and returned to work and got on a new group LTD policy. If you try and go out on claim on the new policy, for the rest of your life for the SCI, they'll only approve it for mental/stress related complications (not original SCI related) which will limit the benefit on just about every policy to two years. There are lawyers that will fight it but the docs have implicitly agreed with the LTD carriers not to support anything related to the original SCI or physical complications that result from it, for those on new policies (it's a double jeopardy kind of deal).

Brian starts work at the Center for Medicare Services on Monday. I was in Baltimore last weekend and Brian drove me to the CMS campus on Sunday just to get familiar with the roads. Depending on traffic it's about a 20 minute drive from Brian's condo to the CMS building.

One day a week Brian will be working from home and he has the option of working 9 hour days and taking a day off every other week. Brian will be the only doctor working on the team that he has been assigned. I think his medical knowledge and his health care policy work experience will make him a valuable addition.

For two years after college Brian worked for a medical consulting company in San Francisco. This is the work experience that was not included on the shortened three page resume Brian submitted to Medicare for the job he accepted. For an earlier Medicare job application Brian completed a longer five page resume that included the health care policy work experience. The Medicare HR refused to consider the longer resume for this job. As a result HR said he only qualified for a lower grade level because he lacked health care policy work experience. To me this is ridicules but it's a typical decision from some low level HR person who wants to demonstrate that they have power. After Brian completes ninety days his boss is going to appeal the HR decision.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Brian starts work at the Center for Medicare Services on Monday. I was in Baltimore last weekend and Brian drove me to the CMS campus on Sunday just to get familiar with the roads. Depending on traffic it's about a 20 minute drive from Brian's condo to the CMS building.

One day a week Brian will be working from home and he has the option of working 9 hour days and taking a day off every other week. Brian will be the only doctor working on the team that he has been assigned. I think his medical knowledge and his health care policy work experience will make him a valuable addition.

For two years after college Brian worked for a medical consulting company in San Francisco. This is the work experience that was not included on the shortened three page resume Brian submitted to Medicare for the job he accepted. For an earlier Medicare job application Brian completed a longer five page resume that included the health care policy work experience. The Medicare HR refused to consider the longer resume for this job. As a result HR said he only qualified for a lower grade level because he lacked health care policy work experience. To me this is ridicules but it's a typical decision from some low level HR person who wants to demonstrate that they have power. After Brian completes ninety days his boss is going to appeal the HR decision.

Roger

This sounds good: "One day a week Brian will be working from home and he has the option of working 9 hour days and taking a day off every other week."

It's nice that his soon-to be boss is willing to go to bat for him to get his pay grade up to a GS-13 or higher. Patience is key.

Brian started today at the Centers for Medicare Services, CMS, just south of Baltimore. The first two days is orientation and an explanation of benefits. Brian texted me and said that everything is fine.

Roger

...and he gets his first paid federal holiday ( Columbus Day ) on Monday October 10th !

Brian finished his first week at CMS and everything went fine except he left his car lights Thursday morning and the battery was dead when he was ready to go home. Brain called AAA and had the car jumped in about 20 minutes so it was no big deal. I never realized that the buzzer that sounds when the lights are left on only works when the driver's door opens. Because Brian uses a ramp on the passenger side the buzzer never sounds if the lights are on. I brought a device on Amazon that automatically controls the car lights. I go to Baltimore next week so I'll have it installed by the shop that installed the car alarm on the Honda Element.

I was reading the Phoenix newspaper this morning and I was surprised to see CMS mentioned in two different articles related to health. One was about changes that were approved by CMS in the Arizona Universal Health Care program and the other was something to do with new Medicare rules that also were developed and approved by CMS. Now I notice when CMS is mentioned.

Brian told me Thursday that his boss has assigned him to work on three teams at CMS. He said that typically a person is assigned to work on one team. It seems like Brian's boss is expecting Brian to make a significant contribution.

Roger

Thanks for the update!
    Yep, that issue with the vehicle lights buzzer has caught us several times during our working years. Did not know there was a "fix" for this.

Brian is in a great position to give his point of view on Medicare policy. Just wondering if Medicare has a Consumer Advisory Board of some kind that gives input from Medicare recipients.

Brian likes the job and with the new Medicare Pay for Performance policy there's a lot of work that is right down Brian's alley. He has been assigned to work on five committees so he's working hard to get up to speed. Brian is working from home today and he told my wife yesterday not bother him today because he has a lot of work to do.

The auto lite control module was installed on Brian's Honda Element so that will prevent any more dead batteries from leaving the lights on.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 10-23-2016 at 06:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Great to hear! Thanks for the update. Brian is a testament to the capability of a tenacious spirit, determined will, and involved support system. A welcome and wonderful counter point to the, at times vocal, 'poor pitiful me' narratives around here. Awesome!
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Brian likes the job and with the new Medicare Pay for Performance policy there's a lot of work that is right down Brian's alley. He has been assigned to work on five committees so he working hard to get up to speed. Brian is working from home today and he told my wife yesterday not bother him today because he has a lot of work to do.

The auto lite control module was installed on Brian's Honda Element so that will prevent any more dead batteries from leaving the lights on.

Roger
    I'd been reading about the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) in the news this month. Tying physician payment to quality performance measures had me concerned that more doctors were going to opt out of taking new Medicare patients. I was also thinking that patients with SCI would be outliers in some of these measures and, as a result, doctors might not want to add new SCI patients to their roster. I'm glad that Brian is a member of this committee. He will be directly affecting one of the biggest changes to medical care in our lifetime.
    Last edited by 2drwhofans; 10-21-2016 at 03:29 PM.