Page 105 of 113 FirstFirst ... 5559596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1126

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

SCI-Nurse

Brian would like to do residency but he's concerned that he would not physically be able to do 52 straight weeks of internship without a break. I'm going to encourage Brian to apply for residency even if he gets a job at the Medicare Innovation Center. That way he'll have an option if he decides that the Medicare job is not what he wants.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 08-07-2016 at 11:43 PM.

Roger-

Continuing to hope that Brian gets good news about the CMMI CMS job.

If its a permanent, full time federal job position, he'll have a one year probationary period and would then have good job security, a decent salary, all medical benefits with 26 days of paid vacation and 13 days of paid sick leave. He'd also have the opportunity to sign up for long term care insurance without underwriting, get a retirement plan and, after a year, the ability to take FMLA time off for medical issues. Since it's a non-profit organization, he'd qualify for a student loan forgiveness plan. He can even join a Union. Brian would still have the opportunity to fulfill the reasons he chose medicine as a career. He'd be devising strategies to improve healthcare to millions of people.

I found this old thread that may be of interest to Brian. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...in-wheelchairs

Maybe he can contact some of the doctors mentioned for advice and support.

While there are some programs participating in a study to increase the amount of consecutive hours that an intern and a resident can work, generally, in a given month, first year medical residents ( interns ) can be required to work up to 16 hours a day, no more than 80 hours a week, can't work overnight more than every 3 days and get one day off every 7 days.

Last edited by 2drwhofans; 08-08-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Hoping for the best for your son!
    Adding that attendant care may be provided as needed on the job and for travel. The Feds are very fortunate to have capable individuals.
    In Federal employment there may also be options in some departments for transfer to other locations. Totally agree with 2drwhofans that this would be a great career move.

Brian went to the Medicare Innovation Center for an interview today. It sounds like they're going to make him an offer. They've been checking his references and he was told that they would be sending him an offer letter this week. Brian thinks that the work is what he wants to do, so that's what is most important. He was told that the offer would be based on the grade 12 salary range.

I have a question concerning Brian's long term disability insurance. Brian was working for a medical consulting company in San Francisco when he was injured in an automobile accident. If he accepts this job will he lose forever the UNUM long term disability insurance benefits that he's been collecting? For example if he was laid off would the UNUM long term disability insurance start paying again or does UNUM walk away as soon as Brian starts working again.

Roger

Fingers crossed for him and also hoping that this is a permanent position. Term and temporary positions are usually for 1-4 years.

With base and locality pay for the Washington/Baltimore area, he'll have a livable salary and regular hours as a GS12-Step 1. Automatic step increases come every 2 years.
    https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...f/2016/DCB.pdf

He'll make more money than an intern or resident but not as much as a full time, board certified physician.

Most Group LTD policies have a "recurring disabilities provision". That means, as long as you keep paying the premiums, if the later disability is for the same reason as the first ( SCI ) and the disability occurs within 6 months of the first claim stopping, then it's considered to be the same claim. He may want to invest a bit of $$ and ask a attorney who specializes in LTD claims to read over his policy and advise him just to be sure. Searching for Long Term Disability Attorney + the city will bring up a lot of results.

The Feds have long term disability insurance as a benefit at no additional charge but its not so great. For the first year, you get 60% of your salary and after that, 40%.

Last edited by 2drwhofans; 08-15-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Just a comment on my experience with LTD. Soon after starting my job I was offered LTD; at the time I needed every penny and did not sign up for it, put it out of my mind. Surprisingly, after retirement at age 55 I received an application in the mail - it was LTD for retirees. I filled out page one and then turned over to page 2 where the first lines stated: 'if you are in a wheelchair do not proceed as you will be ineligible for this insurance'.
    Highly recommend it to disabled persons who are employed and would be part of a "group" benefit.
    I had hoped to supplement my SS, especially as I would be needing to hire some help.

Blog Entries
    GS Grade 12, Step 1?!?! For a med-school graduate?!? Wow. That sounds like a kick in the nuts, to me. My UPS driver makes that much. Enjoying your work is important, sure, but so is making a living. I'm not trying to be a "Negative Nancy", but after following this thread since its inception, and all the tremendous hard work that he (and his family) has put in to this endeavor, I'd have just wished there'd have been a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow. There certainly is the potential, don't understand settling for so little after so much hard work and struggling. I wish and want for nothing but the best for you all. If this'll make Brian happy, that is awesome, but it just seems...I dunno...like less than he deserves. Less than he's gonna need for the future, even.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

In regards to the salary that they have discussed with Brian. I believe that they indicated that he will be offered a salary of ~$77,000. This translates to Grade 12 Step 9. I agree that this is not the greatest salary for what has been invested in Brian's education but it's a tough job market and I think that Brian has get out in the market and prove himself.

Roger

In addition, the Federal government has periodic raises, possibly after a couple of years, in addition to a myriad of benefits. Don't think most professionals have that.
    Hopefully Brian will accept this job offer or negotiate for a bit higher, perhaps based on and additional talents he brings to the job (research/writer?).

Salary has been important to me during my working career but I think Brian is happiest when he's doing challenging interesting work. If Brian gets this job at the Medicare Innovation Center I doubt that it will be his last job. Once Brian shows the kind of exceptional work that he can do other jobs will be available to him.

Roger