Page 101 of 111 FirstFirst ... 51919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1110

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Sorry to hear about Ann! Hope she recovers soon.

I was just thinking about your son and wondering if he's considered 'playing the disability' card. That is, it's my understanding that "reasonable accommodation" must be provided under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to disabled students, workers, customers. It seems like 55 and more hours per week could be negotiable? I do realize that a medical school may be the last place to consider a law such as ADA, but when I think about it, why wouldn't they accommodate a disabled student's needs since he's already completed the majority of his studies and practice. It seems this rule for residency hours is a sound one for doctors who may be required to be available 24/7. It seems like Preventative Medicine and Public Health work would be a different ball game. That said, I believe Brian's character and dedication are such that, if called in the middle of the night in any occupation he would respond with help.
    After all he has accomplished it would be nice, if he wishes it, to complete the residency.

I keep thinking of a Supreme Court case over twenty years ago - a deaf student denied admission to a nursing school. The problem seems like the authority figures could not see a nurse in any other capacity than listening and speaking to a bedridden patient. We know that nurses work in untold occupations. I believe she lost her case.

Brian met with his advisor last week and they decided that it would be best for Brian to go ahead and graduate May 16. He's going to look for a job and also apply for a internship position. I'm still confused by the terms intern versus residency. What I understand now is that after the student receives the MD degree the first year he's called an intern and is exposed to several different area's then he selects what area he's most interested in and starts a residency in that specialty.

I think that Preventive Medicine is the perfect type of medicine for Brian. He would see patients and also do health policy research. A residency in Preventive Medicine is offered at Hopkins but one of the prerequisites is that the applicant must complete a 12 month clinical internship. Brian's advisor at first thought it would be better to postpone graduation so he would still be a medical student when he was applying for residency or internship but she later changed her mind.

Brian is now searching for a internship as well as a job. If he finds a position he would start the internship in June 2017, so that's why he is also looking for a job.

SCI Nurse maybe you can clarify this internship versus residency. Does a typical residency programs include a 12 month internship and then two or more years of specialization?

Roger

Maybe I can help.

All training years after graduation from medical school are the Post Graduate Years. Depending on the specialty chosen, the total number of PGY years can be anywhere from 3 for a field like Occupational Medicine to 7 for a field like Neurosurgery.

The PGY 1 year of Residency training had been traditionally called the Internship. They tried to do away with the term in the 70's but were unsuccessful.

In a Categorical residency program, all the years of residency training- from PGY 1 to whenever- are offered at the same place. The newly graduated doctor only has to move once.

Many specialty residencies though require a first year of general medical or surgical training before the specialty training begins. That first PGY year ( PGY 1) is also known as the Internship. For medical school graduates, this will requires 2 matches- one for the Internship ( PGY-1 ) and one for the Residency ( PGY-2 and on ). The PGY 1/Internship year and the Residency years are not always obtainable in the same city so the new doctor has to move twice.

Internships/PGY 1 year can be further categorized as "Preliminary" or "Transitional" types.

Preliminary Internships ( PGY 1 year ) are usually a year of either Internal Medicine or Surgery. For example, someone who wanted to be a Cardiologist would do a PGY 1 year in Internal Medicine. Someone who wanted to be an Orthopedist would do a PGY 1 year in Surgery.

Transitional Internships ( PGY 1 year ) might combine Internal Medicine, Surgical and Elective months depending on the particular program.

Last edited by 2drwhofans; 03-13-2016 at 11:47 PM.

Thanks 2drwhofans for the explanation.

Maybe you have the answer to another question. I understand that Medicare provides the funding for residencies but that there are fewer residencies positions funded each year than there are medical school graduates. Why would that be the case?

Roger

These articles explain it better than I can.

Several main reasons though: Funding from Medicare and the VA is not enough to accommodate the increasing numbers of U.S. Allopathic (M.D.) seniors entering the match as well as an increasing number of U.S. Osteopathic (D.O.) seniors each year. Add to this an increasing number of Non-US Citizen International Medical School Graduates and US Citizen International Medical Graduates who enter the same match. It's really not as bad as it looks though. Internal Medicine, Family Medicine and Pediatrics had more positions available last year than in prior years. The high dollar, procedure oriented fields like Dermatology, Opthalmology, Plastic Surgery, etc. have less positions and more people applying for them so the unmatched rate is higher. Everyone eventually finds their way somewhere.

I looked at the JHU Preventive Medicine Residency website. It looks like he only has to apply for a PGY-1 ( Internship ) year through the match. The Preventive Medicine Residency application for PGY 2 and PGY 3 seems to be accessed directly through the JHU website. That's a lot less traveling to interviews.

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/150319897

http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wo...sidency-slots/

http://www.nrmp.org/press-release-20...4756-programs/

Thanks 2drwhofans for posting the answer to my residency question.

Brian is searching for a place where he can do a 12 month Internship. If you or anyone has any insight into where Brian can apply please let me know. Brian has one blemish on his record. When he was taking the STEP 1 exam the testing center room was so warm his body overheated and he had to stop taking the test because he was going to faint. Two months later he went back and took the STEP 1 again and scored well above the mean. The second time I went with him to the testing center and made sure that the testing room was kept at a comfortable temperature. His score on the STEP 2 clinical knowledge exam was also well above the mean. Given the opportunity Brian can easily explain why he scored badly on the first STEP 1 exam.

Roger

Brian starts his last class at Hopkins on Monday. It's a two week class I believe called preparation for residency.

The paper that he has been working on has been submitted and he's waiting for comments before it can be published. In the mean time Brian is searching for a job and looking for a residency program. His plan is work a year doing health care policy and then start residency a one year internship in June 2017. There are several pieces that need to fall into place for this plan to succeed.

Roger

Sounds like a great plan and publishing a paper too will be a great addition to his resume!

Brian has finished all of the requirements for the MD degree. The Johns Hopkins Medical School commencement ceremony is May 16.

He has applied for three different health care policy jobs in the Baltimore area and he is also looking at potential intern positions anywhere in the country. It's hard waiting and not knowing where and what is ahead. In the meantime some of Brian's friends and our entire family will be in Baltimore May 16. We're going to rent an extra car for a few days to move everyone around. At the moment everyone wants to stay at the condo but I'm not sure that's practical the place would be jammed. After the ceremony we're planning on taking everyone out for dinner to celebrate.

I'll be in Baltimore for 10 days so we're looking at taking the train to New York City and going to a couple of plays with Brian after the graduation.

Roger

Wonderful news. Congratulations to Brian!