Page 100 of 117 FirstFirst ... 5090919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1166

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Wonderful news! Thanks for the photo!

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Wonderful news! Thanks for the photo!
    I second this. Congratulations to Brian on a truly extraordinary achievement!

I know you are a proud dad, Roger. Rightfully so.

Ann and I are back in Phoenix and Brian is in Baltimore working on his paper. He has to have the paper done next week so that it can be submitted publication. Last week Brian found out from the medical school that he needs 2-1/2 more credits to complete all of the requirements for the medical degree. Brian is talking with the counselor to find the most cost effective means of satisfying the requirement. He's hoping to avoid paying the $28,000 tuition for a full semester at the medical school. I hope that there are options.

Brian is thinking about what he'll do after graduation next May and he has concerns. Finding a job and getting everything he needs setup in a new city worries him. Last week during an annual checkup with her oncologist mentioned that Brian was going to graduate in May and was looking for a job. Her doctor seemed very interested and said that he was going to talk to people and he wanted to meet Brian. So that looks like a beginning at least. I've also sent Brian the post from Triumph last July where the website www.usajobs.gov was mentioned. This website has a listing of US Government jobs that are available. I think that this would be an excellent place for Brian to start his job search. If anyone has any other resources please let me know. I'm sure more options will become available the more we search and talk to people.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 01-11-2016 at 02:22 PM.

Yes, having to relocate for a job has challenges. If the job is a perfect fit, it would be worth the efforts. Very best wishes for 2016!

Brian passed the Clinical Knowledge portion of the STEP 2 exam. He's still waiting to get the results of the Clinical Skills portion of the STEP 2 exam, but he's not worried about passing the Clinical Skills portion. The STEP 2 Exam is the test that he took in October-November. He took the Clinical Knowledge portion of the STEP 2 Exam in Baltimore and then a couple of weeks later we went to Philadelphia for two days where Brian took the Clinical Skills portion of the STEP 2 Exam. In the Clinical Skills portion he examined patients and wrote up his diagnosis.

Brian is meeting with his adviser this week to figure out what his next step will be. The Medical School graduation is May 16, 2016. A couple of weeks ago Brian found out that he needs two more credits. Hopefully the paper that he's submitting can be used to satisfy the two credits.

I'm going to Baltimore on Feb 5 and stay until Feb 10. Ann is having cataract surgery on Feb 9.

Roger

Brian received a letter that he passed the STEP 2 Clinical Skills test that he took last November in Philadelphia. Earlier this week Brian met with his adviser. I don't know all of the details of the conversation but his adviser told him that she would support whatever Brian decides that he wants to do. Brian had expected that she would push him hard not to do a residency. I fly to Baltimore this afternoon so this weekend I'll have a chance to talk with Brian.

If Brian decided that he wants to do residency it's too late to apply this year so he would have to wait until next November to apply. His adviser told him if he decides that he wants to apply for residency next year then he should postpone his graduation until 2017. She said that it's better to apply for residency while he's still in medical school.

Roger

Tough decision for sure.

What a truly wonderful thread Roger, it should really be a book, and a manual for healthy recovery and family support, thank you so much for sharing. Puts my heart in my throat to read all 100 pages, my Mom supported me through undergrad and grad at UNC Chapel Hill (Rehabilitation Psychology), licensed LPC therapist, have worked community mental health for the past 10 years, specializing in CBT with Dual Diagnosis disorders, primarily schizophrenia & bipolar disorders.

Bravo sir, Bravo, and all my best to Brian and his service to the community

Lee

Every time Brian is scheduled for rehab at the Kennedy Krieger something happens to interrupt the rehab. Today Baltimore had four inches of snow so all rehab was suspended at Kennedy Krieger. Hopefully he'll be able to go to rehab tomorrow. Sometime soon Brian is going to meet with the Doctor in charge of residency at Hopkins to discuss his options. He's been looking at Preventive Medicine Residency Programs. This would take advantage of the MD and MPH degrees. The only problem is he would have complete a 12 month clinical residency. Brian is not sure if he physically able to work 55+ hours a week for 12 months without a break.

I was in Baltimore last week for Ann's cataract surgery. The surgery and the follow up visit the next day went fine. Things started to go bad later in the week when Ann fell and hurt her neck. The day after I went back to Phoenix her neck hurt so badly she was incapacitated. Brian was able to get her an appointment at the hospital to have her neck was examined. She'll be ok after a couple of painful weeks. In addition to the neck pain Ann's stomach started hurting so Brian was able to get her an appointment for a lower GI exam March 2. If all of that isn't enough next week she has cataract surgery on her other eye. I'm going back to Baltimore March 1 for a week. Hopefully during that time Ann will be able to complete her multiple recoveries.

Roger