Page 10 of 112 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Quote Originally Posted by KNUCKLEHEAD RACING
    Roger

If this insur is thru your company then check with them and see if they are a self funded group. If they are they make the rules and can override Blue Cross Ca ruling on paying for the air ambulance as Blue Cross is just the 3rd party adminstrator. It is possible that your group has a person that can assist you with this.
    Need to be careful also because most insurance companies have a limit as to the number of times you can appeal a decision. Make sure the denial you rec'd is from and MD and not just a nurse. I work for Blue Cross Blue Shield also and have done alot of work with Medical Review, and there are alot of times that only an RN denies the appeal and no MD is involved.
    You have the right to ask who the doctor was that reviewed the appeal.
    Brian works for a small medical consulting company. They purchased the Blue Shield of California medical insurance from a broker in San Francisco. When I receive denial letters from Blue Shield the letters say that the claim has been reviewed by a doctor but you can't really know that for sure.

Roger

Medical Transport Issue Resolved

I received a letter today from the Blue Shield of California Grievance Coordinator in regards to my claim for the air ambulance transportation expense from Phoenix to Atlanta. This is the same grievance coordinator who I talked to several times in February and March. The letter says:

" This letter is to advise you that Blue Shield of California received additional information from Shepherd Center in Atlanta GA, on you behalf, after your original appeal of February 23, 2007 had been completed.

Based upon review by a Blue Shield Medical Director, it was determined that the request for coverage for air ambulance transportation provided on February 28, 2007 by American Aerovac Inc has been APPROVED. Deductible and any applicable co-payment will still apply"

I'm still in a state of shock that the same person who rejected my claim several times has now approved it. The letter from the Shepherd Center was written by Brian's inpatient case worker. She is a tireless worker. She wrote a precise and powerful letter. I met with her last week when I was at the Shepherd Center Thursday and Friday. This proves to me that you need to have expert help when you're dealing with the medical insurance company.

Getting this money from the insurance means that we can make another donation to Dr. Young. Other than that it's pretty meaningless. There can be no lasting joy for our family until Brian is well.

Roger

Roger, Excellent news for you. The dollar amount could be put towards an FES bike as well! The insurance companies wager that we will grow ired and give in, therefore they save. It is less than 35% of foks who go to the final appeal. More than 80% win in the final appeal. This holds true for SS applications as well. You just need to be part of that small percentage that hang in there.
    Great job, glad you won.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

My wife and Brian are coming home tomorrow Sunday July 15. My daughter is driving our car back from Atlanta to Phoenix. She will arrive today, Saturday. A girl my daughter met at church in Atlanta is riding with her. I've done as much as I could to the house to make it ready for Brian's return but I know that there's more to do. Monday Brian has an appointment to see the surgeon who operated on him last February. Then he'll start out patient therapy a St. Joseph's Hospital. September 3 we go to Kennedy Krieger in Baltimore for the activity based restorative therapy program developed by Dr. McDonald.

Great news Roger. I wish Brian success at home and hope to meet you all in Baltimore.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Does anyone have any recommendations concerning a place to stay while my son is at the Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore. Brian is scheduled to start treatment at KKI on Sept 3.
    I contacted Marriott ExecuStay Church Home at Broadway Overlook, they don't have any rooms available starting Sept 3 but that could change anytime.
    1 Bedroom $ 89/night
    2 Bedroom $129/night
    Minimum stay 30 days

I've been told that the traffic in downtown Baltimore is pretty bad. I'm thinking that if we found a place close to KKI we wouldn't need to rent a car is that realistic? I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Roger

Traffic in downtown Baltimore can be annoying. My sister was shot in the neck just a few blocks away from KKI, interestingly enough. They were caught in traffic at 2:30am on Monday morning when the gunman came up behind them and fired.

Traffic in downtown Baltimore isn't so bad during off-peak hours, though.
    Rush hour is nasty, but after that, it's not so bad. It's much better than DC, at the very least.

While you're in Baltimore, if you need somebody to show you around, I'd be glad to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger
    Does anyone have any recommendations concerning a place to stay while my son is at the Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore. Brian is scheduled to start treatment at KKI on Sept 3.
    I contacted Marriott ExecuStay Church Home at Broadway Overlook, they don't have any rooms available starting Sept 3 but that could change anytime.
    1 Bedroom $ 89/night
    2 Bedroom $129/night
    Minimum stay 30 days

I've been told that the traffic in downtown Baltimore is pretty bad. I'm thinking that if we found a place close to KKI we wouldn't need to rent a car is that realistic? I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Roger
    Roger,

My sister, Amber, is currently in outpatient therapy at Kennedy Krieger and it has been excellent. That is great Brian will be starting there in September. Is Brian staying inpatient at KKI?

As to places to stay, has KKI provided any recommendations?? Unfortunately, the area around KKI and John Hopkins(a couple blocks away) is not the nicest area. I personally would not stay in that area. Traffic during rush hour(morning and evening) can be bad esp right around the Inner Harbor area, but off hours it's ok. I go downtown to pick Amber up from therapy 2 evenings a week @ 6pm and it's hit or miss with traffic.

~Heidi

See my previous post about the area around Johns Hopkins and KKI. My sister was 10 blocks south of KKI on the same road when she was shot. Convenient area for a hospital, no?

I'd have to second Hiedi's recommendation to not live there. Baltimore is a small city, and the suburbs are a short drive away. With no traffic, I can get to Johns Hopkins (and by extention, KKI) within 20 minutes from the suburb of Dundalk. If you have an eye on a specific property, let me know, and I can tell you about the particular neighborhood. I've been around Baltimore all my life.

By the way, I don't know if you're an NFL fan, but the Arizona Cardinals are coming to Baltimore on September 23rd. You should PM me sometime, Roger.
    Last edited by Jack21222; 07-25-2007 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack21222
    See my previous post about the area around Johns Hopkins and KKI. My sister was 10 blocks south of KKI on the same road when she was shot. Convenient area for a hospital, no?

I'd have to second Hiedi's recommendation to not live there. Baltimore is a small city, and the suburbs are a short drive away. With no traffic, I can get to Johns Hopkins (and by extention, KKI) within 20 minutes from the suburb of Dundalk. If you have an eye on a specific property, let me know, and I can tell you about the particular neighborhood. I've been around Baltimore all my life.

By the way, I don't know if you're an NFL fan, but the Arizona Cardinals are coming to Baltimore on September 23rd. You should PM me sometime, Roger.

Jack21222

Thanks for the information on housing. I'm going to go through the list of places that KKI gave me starting tomorrow. I'll post the places where I'm looking. Wednesday is my busy day at work so I didn't get much done today on the Baltimore housing issue.
    It sound like if you're close enough to KKI to not need a car then it's not a neighborhood that you can walk around in safely. I'm thinking that we're going to need to rent a car.

We're not big AZ Cardinals fans. The Bidwill ownership decisions kind of burns people out.

Roger