Page 48 of 117 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

I am familiar with Elizabeth Cooney. If he gets into a jam, I may be able to set him up with an RN who is SCI familiar and probably willing to work outside of her agency. PM me if you are interested.
    Is this AZ Voc Rehab or MD? Can he get a blend of the two for this? How about the med school--can they help?

I am sorry that Ann has to go back for additional surgery. I will keep your family in positive thoughts on Thursday. Holler if there is anything you need.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Cheesecake

Thanks you for taking a look at this.

Brian has been talking to Maryland Voc Rehab about the skilled nursing care expenses. He's still working on this with MD Voc Rehab and he has contacted Hopkins about this additional expense that was not included in his Hopkins budget.
    Before Brian moved to Baltimore to attend medical school the Hopkins financial aid office reviewed all of his projected expenses and based the amount of financial aid that he would receive on these expenses. These skilled nursing expenses were not included in the projected expenses and it's possible that they will adjust his financial aid to compensate. It's still possible that something will be worked out to cover these expenses but we won't know until after the fact.

The nurse provided by Elizabeth Cooney has worked out fine so we don't want to disrupt this while Ann is in Phoenix. After Ann gets back to Baltimore we might need to continue with a nurse for some time until Ann completely recovers from the surgery. That would be the time that maybe we could take advantage of your suggestion and set something up with an RN directly.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 01-26-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: missed spelled word

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Ann got some unpleasant news from the doctor today. He said that she needs additional surgery to remove more tissue. During the surgery the surgeon removed the cancerous cells and additional tissue around the cancer cells. He sent the tissue to the lab for addional tests that could not be performed during the surgery. After the doctor looked at the lab results he decided that more surgery is necessary to create a larger margin around where the cancerous cells were located. The surgery is scheduled for noon on Thurday.

Ann is not looking forward to the several more days of pain that's results from the surgery.

Roger
    Hi Roger,
    I was glad to hear that your wife's first surgery went well but I was sorry to hear after her making her return reservation back to Baltimore that she found out after the fact that she has to have some more surgery to widen the margin around the last operation site. But I say it's better to err on the side of precaution for a successful post op outcome. I hope her second surgery goes as well as the first surgery did she & that she will in no time be on the road to recovery & be able to make the return trip back to Brian in Baltimore.

Next time you talk to or see Brian please tell him I'm proud of him for doing soooo wellll in Medical school. I just have good vibes that this would be so as he has done quite remarkably well & made such great progress looking back to the time when he was first injured & all that he has been thru to make it to where he is today. Is he one SON to be very, very proud of as I know both you & your family are I have no boubt that you are & you have every right to be that is for sure. Please tell him to keep up the excellent work & that I said Hello to him & that I send him my regards.

Take care Roger !

Bob S.

Ann had the second surgery yesterday and is doing much than she did after the first surgery. There's no nausea and she's able to eat. Hopefully all of the surgery is done we'll know for sure early next week when the lab results are back. If everything is good Ann is planning on going back to Baltimore on Feb 5.

On Monday Brian spent the day at the hospital being evaluated for a Baclofen pump. He is currently taking a high daily dose of Baclofen tablets but he still has severe spasms. I don't like the idea of a pump being implanted but Brian feels like it's necessary.

Starting on Tuesday Brian wasn't feeling well. On Thursday he left school early and had Christine take a specimen to the hospital to be tested. The lab test verified that Brian has a UTI. The doctor gave him a prescription for an antibiotic which started taking Thursday night.

Roger

Ann got a call from the surgeon last week that the lab results showed that there still wasn't enough margin and he recommended a mastectomy. Ann and I met with two other surgeons here in Phoenix. Both of them felt that another lumpectomy should be done rather than a mastectomy because there's only one area that's not clear. So that's what Ann is going to do, surgery is scheduled for Feb 25.

My daughter has to get back to her job in California so Ann is flying back to Baltimore tomorrow morning. I'll fly to Baltimore Feb 23 and Ann will return to Phoenix on Feb 24 and have the surgery the next day. The blizzard has really messed up travel to Baltimore this weekend. All of the flights to Baltimore on Friday, Saturday and Sunday were canceled. The only flight Ann could get leaves Phoenix Monday at 7:00 am and gets into Baltimore at 7:00 pm. The early Monday morning direct flight was booked.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Ann got a call from the surgeon last week that the lab results showed that there still wasn't enough margin and he recommended a mastectomy. Ann and I met with two other surgeons here in Phoenix. Both of them felt that another lumpectomy should be done rather than a mastectomy because there's only one area that's not clear. So that's what Ann is going to do, surgery is scheduled for Feb 25.

My daughter has to get back to her job in California so Ann is flying back to Baltimore tomorrow morning. I'll fly to Baltimore Feb 23 and Ann will return to Phoenix on Feb 24 and have the surgery the next day. The blizzard has really messed up travel to Baltimore this weekend. All of the flights to Baltimore on Friday, Saturday and Sunday were canceled. The only flight Ann could get leaves Phoenix Monday at 7:00 am and gets into Baltimore at 7:00 pm. The early Monday morning direct flight was booked.

Roger
    Roger: BWI doesn't open until tomorrow afternoon at the earliest. It is a disaster here. Have Brian call me if he needs anything else. Glad you sought another opinion. University of MD also has a great breast cancer center. PM me as I know the head of the Breast cancer program at NIH/NIC.

On Monday Brian spent the day at the hospital being evaluated for a Baclofen pump. He is currently taking a high daily dose of Baclofen tablets but he still has severe spasms. I don't like the idea of a pump being implanted but Brian feels like it's necessary.

In the long run, the pump is much more effective and better for Brian's liver.
    If he has it done, make sure they place the puck underneath the abdominal muscle. Brian is so thin but he will prefer the appearance and stability of this type of placement.

Roger, please do not forget to take care of yourself too.

My wife and Brian are hold up in the condo. Baltimore has gotten fifty inches of snow during the last six days. All of the classes at Hopkins have been canceled since Monday.

Brian has been studying for a test that's scheduled for tomorrow. As far as he knows right now they'll have class tomorrow.

Roger

Roger:
    My kids classes have been out for over a week, they hopefully return next Tuesday if Monday's storm is not to bad.

I hope my connection worked for you and your wife. Keep me posted.