Page 114 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1464104105106107108109110111112113114115 LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1145

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Brian is more comfortable but doctors have not been able to diagnose what's wrong. They have Brian on an antibiotic for a possible bladder infection but it takes three days to culture the blood sample to determine if he's getting the right antibiotic.

Brian's doctor from Kennedy Krieger came over to ICU to make some recommendations about diagnostic tests to run.

I leave for Baltimore tomorrow morning at 11:45.

Roger
    Have the docs keep looking for a root cause. As you probably know our bladders are usually colonized, so we're never that far from a UTI. Sometimes something else is going on in our bodies and our bodies start fighting that and a UTI emerges because our defenses are spread out. Sometimes it is just a vicious UTI.

One time I had a horrific abdominal spasm that lasted about 30 hours. I had no signs of a UTI or AD. I went to the ER becasue the spasm was keeping me from sleeping and sitting up. The ER doc said I had a kidney infection and that I better not wait this long to come again because one of these times I might not make it. I told the doc that I had no typical UTI symtoms and he said the spasm probably kept me from recognizing that I had chills with no fever.

Some of the ways issues present with a SCI are just bizarre.

Fight hard Brian!
    Last edited by Patton57; 03-04-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Brian is out of intensive care but he's still in the hospital. He's being treated for a UTI with an antibiotic that the doctors selected based on a urine culture. We're hoping that he'll be able to come home in the next couple of days.

Roger

Brian is out of intensive care but he's still in the hospital. He's being treated for a UTI with an antibiotic that the doctors selected based on a urine culture. We're hoping that he'll be able to come home in the next couple of days.

Roger
    Happy to hear that. i'd been checking for updates. Wish him well for us.

Brian is a tough fellow and we all wish him the best!

Brian is still in the hospital getting antibiotics intravenously. We're hoping that he'll be able to come back to the condo Friday of Saturday. His stomach has been upset today and he threw up twice. The other issue is that his blood pressure has been elevated. Normally his blood pressure is 90/60 and now it's 120/80. I've delayed my return to Phoenix until Brian is out of the hospital.

Roger

Brian came home from the hospital a couple of hours ago. I think the root cause of the problem was a UTI but they also found a blood clot in his lungs so he's taking a blood thinner for 6 months. While he was taking the antibiotic in the hospital he had extended periods where he was nauseous. Now that he's done taking the antibiotic he feels much better.

Roger

Great news and thanks for the update!

Brian is still not completely well. He has spasms even after the Baclofen pump dosage was increased 10%. Brian's doctor at Kennedy Krieger is going to have an MRI done to verify that it's not Osteomyelitis. This is an infection of the vertebral bones. Unfortunately Brian has to wait several weeks for the MRI to occur. In the meantime Brian is working mainly from home.

I fly to Baltimore tonight for the weekend.

Roger

Brian is still not completely well. He has spasms even after the Baclofen pump dosage was increased 10%. Brian's doctor at Kennedy Krieger is going to have an MRI done to verify that it's not Osteomyelitis. This is an infection of the vertebral bones. Unfortunately Brian has to wait several weeks for the MRI to occur. In the meantime Brian is working mainly from home.

I fly to Baltimore tonight for the weekend.

Roger

I'm sorry to hear about this. Is there a reason he has to wait so long for the MRI? Is there another nearby MRI facility where he can get the same quality MRI that the doctor wants, that might have a shorter wait? I would ask to be placed on a cancellation list, and call every few days to see if they have last minute cancellations. People cancel their MRIs or don't show up all the time.

FYI - my father (incomplete para) recently had an illness with fever that we assumed was a UTI, but after 10 days (and 5 of those in the hospital) they finally figured out he had ruptured appendicitis! I mention this just to say that when you have SCI, there are so many things going on that you need to worry about that sometimes things get missed. And of course, things that are common in non-SCI folks also happen when you have a SCI, but they can look different because of the high pain thresholds that many with SCI have and abnormal sensation abilities. And many doctors (most?) don't understand SCI issues/risks well, and are so eager to discharge you that things get missed. Always push when things don't seem right.

I don't understand the several week wait for an MRI either. That doesn't sound standard for working up a possible infection in a big city with two medical schools.
    May be time to be politely pushy.