Page 80 of 117 FirstFirst ... 30707172737475767778798081828384858687888990 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Donno

It's funny how children resist their parents advice. I suppose in some ways showing independence is good but it never feels good to be overruled or ignored. I remember something that General Arnold Schwarzkoph after he retired from the army.

When I was commanding the troops in Desert Storm I had 500,000 men who did exactly as I commanded. After I came home I couldn't even get my daughters to brush their teeth before bed.

I'm no General Schwarzkopf so maybe Brian resisting my suggestions should be expected.

Roger

Ha ha ha... Thanks for this. It made me feel better after struggling to get my FATHER to go to bed...

checking in

Nice to see things have been progressing upon checking in here.

Few suggestions, having been through training w/C6 injury myself, see p76 this thread:

-begin thinking NOW about internship and residency. To which programs will you apply? Will a PA be required? Who will pay for that? Sensitive issue, tread lightly when broaching.

-research precedent cases exhaustively (quad doctors)- accommodations in training, practice choice, workplace accommodations, privileging. This will help guide the applications and eventual job search. Recall the tough cases - quad trained through fellowship, then no job.

**identify mentors/advocates among the faculty, and cultivate relationships with them. Good recommendation letters and CONNECTIONS will carry the day.

Can't overemphasize that last one. My own positive rapport with the Dept. of Medicine at my alma mater led to an offer of an internship (transitional year-preliminary medicine PGY1) - they knew me well, and several faculty (and the Chair) were big supporters. That is exactly what you need, whether you're going into psychiatry, or rehab. Would look hard at the former.

Boards get easier after pt 1, you're set now.

Regards

ECN
    Ed from Detroit

Ed

Thanks for your comments about mentors and residency. Your suggestions are about mentors is timely. Brian knows that getting residency is going to be a major challenge. He recently completed the PM&R rotation and received an excellent critical evaluation. Brian hopes to get a letter of recommendation from that doctor. Last Friday Brian completed the neurology rotation and has the Thanksgiving week off. He waiting to hear about his next rotation.

I fly to Baltimore Wednesday night for holiday. Monday the Budget Blinds installer is coming for the forth time to install the motorized shades. We'll have to see how that goes. I told my wife that if the blinds are not 100% functional that she should tell the installer that we want a refund and we'll pay for the shades when the work is completed. It was a mistake to pay prior before the installation was completed. I'm sure Brian has learned from this experience.

Roger

Brian was just just told that he'll start the radiology rotation on Monday.

Brian's rotation schedule has been messed up for the last few months ever since he fell in the shower when the Active-Aid shower chair collapsed. After the accident he missed the last portion of the psychiatry rotation which messed up his rotation schedule. Even since then he has been on the wait list for each rotation. Hopefully Brian will be back on a regular rotation schedule. He's been told that he'll be doing the pediatrics rotation starting in January.

The Budget Blinds installer was suppose to install the motorized shades on Monday of this week. He called late Sunday and canceled. Now he's suppose to install the shades on Friday. I leave for Baltimore Wednesday night so I'll be there on Friday when he's installing the shades.

Roger

Brian started the radiology rotation on Monday. He's doing the rotation at the Hopkins Baywood hospital which is about 4 miles from the main Hopkins Hospital. On the first day he reviewed ~170 x-rays learning what to look for on the films. This morning Brian told Ann that he might be interested in being a radiologist. I was happy to hear this because I think that radiology could be a good fit for Brian.

On Saturday we noticed that the cushion on the ActiveAid shower bench extension had come loose from the metal frame. This could be a serious problem because the cushion could slide off of the support frame while Brian was transferring. I glued wooden dowels into cushion wooden base but it didn't seem to be very secure. If anyone has an ActiveAid shower bench they should check the screws that attach the cushion the metal frame. On Monday I called ActiveAid and left a message for the ActiveAid president. Much to my surprise he called me back today. I explained my concerns to him about this shower bench safety issue. He seemed genuinely interested in resolving any safety related problems. At the conclusion of our conversation he offered to replace the shower bench extension and I told him that we would mail the old cushion to ActiveAid so that they can examine it and determine why the attaching screws pulled out of the wooden base. I'm happy with this resolution to the problem.

The majority of my weekend in Baltimore was spent hooking up the motorized shades and getting them to work properly. Brian now has motorized shades in both bedrooms.

Roger

Sounds good, Roger. We had a radiology resident who had tetraplegia at our hospital several years ago, and he really loved that specialty. Perhaps Brian will as well.

We have also found the ActiveAid people very approachable and willing to help with any problems or questions about their equipment. I am glad you seem to be getting some action from them on this issue with the chair.

(KLD)

SCI-Nurse

On Saturday when I looked at the extension bench on the ActiveAid shower chair I was upset because this looked like another fall in the shower waiting to happen. Last August Brian fell in the shower and ended up in the hospital because the ActiveAid shower chair collapsed. The cause of the problem was that the suction cups on the shower chair legs were attached by friction. ActiveAid redesigned the connection so that the suction cups are attached to the legs with a nut and bolt. My biggest complaint was we were never notified about the redesign or the potential problem. The extension bench cushion looks like another shower accident waiting to happen.

My conversation with the president of ActiveAid was much more helpful than the conversation I had with the lady at the ActiveAid technical support. She didn't want to hear my complaint at all. She wanted me to call the Sheperd Center because that's who purchase the shower bench for us. She didn't act concerned at all about a potential shower accident because of their shower bench. The ActiveAid president was the total opposite. He sounded very concerned about accidents caused by their equipment. The lady at ActiveAid technical support said that she has worked at ActiveAid for thirty one years. In my opinion she is not providing a useful service to the ActiveAid company or its customers.

Roger

The president of ActiveAid called me today about the shower bench extension. He did some checking and found out that the shower bench extension that we have is a prototype that they constructed for the Sheperd Center. Brian was at the Sheperd Center from March to July 2007. At the completion of the acute rehab program we purchased the ActiveAid shower bench from the Sheperd Center through the Marcus Community Bridge Program.

When ActiveAid started making the production shower bench extensions the cushion was attached to the metal frame much more securely than than the five dry wall screws used in the prototype design. ActiveAid is sending Brian a replacement shower bench extension and we're going to mail ActiveAid the cushion and screws off of the prototype design.

I feel like we avoided what would have been a second fall in the shower. I would also reiterate that the customer support person at ActiveAid was no help at all. She told me that she has worked at ActiveAid for thirty one years. Evidently during those thirty one years she has perfected her technique of brushing people off. I suspect that her attitude would improve if she fell off of the shower bench and landed on the hard bathroom floor.

Roger

Roger, you need to give yourself a break. Take a hike into the desert,it'll be good for your body and soul. Brian will survive! BTW I would shitcan those shower bench and camode chairs. Most are junk and will not hold up. Get an old wheelchair w/removeable armrests. Keep the bearings oiled and it will last for years.
    Last edited by wire.paladin; 12-02-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: forgot

Brian will complete in radiology rotation next Friday. He and Ann fly back to Phoenix for Christmas Friday night. I'm hoping that he'll decide to go into radiology. Brian told me Friday that he was talking to one of the radiology residents. The resident had a PhD in engineering from MIT a medical degree from Sanford medical school and now he's a radiology resident at Hopkins. I'm amazed at how many brilliant people there are at Hopkins.

The new ActiveAid extension bench arrived. Thankfully that potential shower fall was averted. We're sending the original extension bench cushion back to ActiveAid and I'm going to call the Shepherd Center and tell them about the potential danger just in case anyone else has one of the prototype extension benches.

When I was in Baltimore at Thanksgiving we finally got the motorized shades installed. Everything is installed and working. After the Budget Blinds installer completed their work I went back and properly installed the electrical wiring. I hope that Budget Blinds does not attempt another job using motorized shades because they obviously don't know how to size the motors or program the motorized shades. Brian purchased seven motorized roller shades. The Budget Blinds installer came to the condo four times and brought a total of twenty one motorized shades to the condo before they finally got the seven motorized shades working.

Roger