Page 82 of 117 FirstFirst ... 32727374757677787980818283848586878889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Brian is on spring break from school and is doing rehab at KKI. He finished the first week of rehab last Friday. Brian asked if he could do a second week of rehab and because there was a cancelation Brian was scheduled for a second week of rehab starting Monday.

Brian is scheduled to start the Emergency Medicine rotation the third week of April. I think that he's going to try to continue with the rehab until he starts the Emedicine rotation. Of course this depends on the scheduling at KKI it's always difficult to get into KKI for rehab.

When Brian was dropped from the Medicine Rotation other rotation scheduling problems occurred. The Medicine Rotation is a prerequsite for several of the remaining rotations that Brian needs to complete. Missing the Medicine Rotation could delay Brian's graduation a year. I'm hoping that solution can be worked out but I'm afraid that there are doctors at the hospital that don't want Brian to complete the program and they can interfere with his progress by having him dropped from this critical rotation.

Roger
    I would get your son as many mentors (SCIs that are docs and non SCIs that are docs) as possible. The ADA doesn't apply like one thinks it might in this environment. I'm in a highly competitive field and have gotten the GI Jane treatment, bridge to nowhere assignments, been told certain hurdles were put in place to keep people like me out and have been told yeah you might make it but you might not be hired by anyone.

I'm not trying to discourage just save your son's sanity.

Brian is on spring break from school and is doing rehab at KKI. He finished the first week of rehab last Friday. Brian asked if he could do a second week of rehab and because there was a cancelation Brian was scheduled for a second week of rehab starting Monday.

Brian is scheduled to start the Emergency Medicine rotation the third week of April. I think that he's going to try to continue with the rehab until he starts the Emedicine rotation. Of course this depends on the scheduling at KKI it's always difficult to get into KKI for rehab.

When Brian was dropped from the Medicine Rotation other rotation scheduling problems occurred. The Medicine Rotation is a prerequsite for several of the remaining rotations that Brian needs to complete. Missing the Medicine Rotation could delay Brian's graduation a year. I'm hoping that solution can be worked out but I'm afraid that there are doctors at the hospital that don't want Brian to complete the program and they can interfere with his progress by having him dropped from this critical rotation.

Roger

He should make an appointment as soon as possible with his advisor or the Dean who helped him last year and find out how to fix this. It is critical that he gets his Medicine rotation done soon, for the reasons you mention, and to start the process of planning for after Med school and applying for residency. He needs to have a meeting immediately.

This is just shocking to me that they would put more roadblocks up now. I am very disappointed with Johns Hopkins.

Brian has put together a proposed schedule for all the clinical rotations that he needs to complete. Based on the proposed schedule he would not have enough of the required rotations completed by March 2014 to make him eligible to apply for a residency program. So he has come up with a plan to continue his classes a Hopkins to get a Masters in Public Health.

Brian will continue doing the clinical rotation during the summer of 2014. By Sept 2014 he will have completed all of the medical school clinical rotations so he'll be eligible for a residency program in March 2015.

Each March medical school students are matched with residency programs, at the medical school they call this Match Day. March is the only time that medical school students are selected to start a residency program. If you don't have all of the requirements completed then you have to wait a year to apply.

In Sept 2014 Brian will start the Johns Hopkins Master of Public Health program. By June of 2015 he'll have completed the MD program at the Johns Hopkins medical school and the Master of Public Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Then he would start residency in August 2015. Public health policy is something that Brian has always been interest in and he has in the past talked about staying at Hopkins to get a masters in public health policy.

Roger

Brian has put together a proposed schedule for all the clinical rotations that he needs to complete. Based on the proposed schedule he would not have enough of the required rotations completed by March 2014 to make him eligible to apply for a residency program. So he has come up with a plan to continue his classes a Hopkins to get a Masters in Public Health.

Brian will continue doing the clinical rotation during the summer of 2014. By Sept 2014 he will have completed all of the medical school clinical rotations so he'll be eligible for a residency program in March 2015.

Each March medical school students are matched with residency programs, at the medical school they call this Match Day. March is the only time that medical school students are selected to start a residency program. If you don't have all of the requirements completed then you have to wait a year to apply.

In Sept 2014 Brian will start the Johns Hopkins Master of Public Health program. By June of 2015 he'll have completed the MD program at the Johns Hopkins medical school and the Master of Public Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. Then he would start residency in August 2015. Public health policy is something that Brian has always been interest in and he has in the past talked about staying at Hopkins to get a masters in public health policy.

Roger
    I have long wanted to attend the Bloomberg School of Public Health at Hopkins. A public health degree from there is gold. Brian's plan looks like a solid one and shows that he is determined to stay in the game.
    Brian and I need to connect the next time I am in Baltimore at KKI---24th of this month. Have Brian PM me or maybe you could? I have a special project going on that would be a feather in his cap, need his medical background and would get something published for him.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Brian is in the second week of the emergency room rotation and everything is going very well. In fact he received an email that doctor in charge at the emergency room send to the medical school director of education. It complimented Brian on how well he related to the patients. Letters of recommendation are important because after medical school it may be difficult for Brian to get residency. I read an article that 6% of the medical school graduates do not get residency after graduating from medical school.

A few weeks ago my wife had an accident while driving Brian’s car. After dropping Brian off at the hospital at 6:00 am on a rainy morning Ann was making a U-turn and hit a fire hydrant with the front tire. Even though she was going slowly there was significant damage to the car. The body damage has been repaired but there are warning lights displayed on the dash, check engine, VSA and air bag. To get the warning lights turned off we’ve taken the car to two different repair shops and two Honda Dealers but because the vehicle has been extensively modified by Freedom Motors in Michigan these repair shops don’t know how to fix the electrical warning system. Now Geico insurance says that they will not pay for repairing the damage indicated by the warning lights. I think that the only way to get the car repaired is for me to drive it to Michigan and have Freedom Motors do the repairs. Then after the car is repaired we can battle it out with Geico about the bill. After Brian's accident I've had some experience dealing with insurance companies.

Roger

Brian has one week retaining on the emedicine rotation working in the emergency room. He really likes this rotation. He takes the emedicine rotation test on May 20.

On May 23 Brian starts the difficult nine week medicine rotation where he'll be working in the hospital doing rounds. Completing the medicine rotation is important because this is a prerequisite for several of the rotations that follow. Some other good news is that Brian has a complete schedule for all of the remaining rotations worked out. The plan is for him to graduate in 2015 with a MD and a Masters in Public Health.

Roger

You both have come a long way since 2007. Congrats!
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Brian is done with the emergency medicine rotation and is taking the shelf exam today. At the end of each rotation they take an exam that covers the material for that specific rotation.

Next week Brian starts the nine week medicine rotation at the Johns Hopkins Hospital. During the medicine rotation he'll be working in the hospital on the floor seeing patients. Brian told me that the medicine rotation is the most difficult rotation that he'll have, so the medicine rotation will be a big thing to get done.

Brian has a schedule made out quarter by quarter showing when he does the remaining rotations. In July of 2014 he starts the Masters Degree in Public Health program so that in June 2015 he'll graduate with two degrees. A MD from Johns Hopkins Medical School and a MPH from the Bloomberg School of Public Health.

There's still a long road ahead but there is an end in sight.

Brian passed the emedicine shelf exam so he's offically done with the emedicine rotation.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 05-24-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Brian started the medicine rotation today. He told me that this was the most difficult rotation but I didn't understand why. When I talked to Brian this evening I found out why it's the most difficult rotation. After ten hours at the hospital Brian had a video to watch tonight, read forty pages and then do a patient write up. That's day one of the medicine rotation.

Roger

Wow, this has been quite the journey for you two. I'm glad to see Brian is doing so well and taking a career choice that few people can accomplish.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.