Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666106107108109110111112113114115116
Results 1,151 to 1,157 of 1157

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Brian had surgery yesterday to replace the Baclofen pump catheter. The surgeon told my wife that the catheter had several leaks. I'll find out more after I get to Baltimore tomorrow night. I don't understand how the catheter can develop leaks? The catheter is from 2010 but even with that I don't imagine that there's significant pressure in the catheter so the only thing that can cause leaks is if the catheter material deteriorated from being inside the body. That seems extremely unlikely.

We were told that Brian would released from the hospital tomorrow.

Roger

Glad it's repaired. Faulty equipment?

I'll ask the SCI Nurses to respond.

Here is an article that talks about damage to the catheter of a baclofen pump.
    Please keep in mind that this is a case study you are looking at and it does not necessarily apply to your son.
    The article indicates that damage to the baclofen pump catheter can occur from internal bodily compression on a bony part

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12037778

I hope this information helps with understanding a possible perspective of the cause

all the best to your son

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Brian came home from the hospital on Friday. He's recovery from the surgery to replace the Baclofen pump catheter. I was not able to talk to the surgeon who replace the catheter. The surgeon told my wife that the catheter looked like a leaking sprinkler hose, there were several small leaks along the length of the catheter. I think that this implies that the end of the catheter at the spinal cord was plugged. Since catheter was replace Brian has not had spasms, so it appears that the problem that has plagued Brian for the last two months has been corrected.

Roger

Thanks for the update and glad to hear spasticity has improved with replacement of catheter

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Brian is feeling pretty good. Last week he worked from home but starting on Monday of this week he's been going to the CMS Office. The CMS Office is about a half hour drive from Brian's condo.

I don't know could the plugged Baclofen pump catheter have been what made Brian so sick nine weeks ago?

Roger

Brian is doing very well. Since the surgery to replace the Baclofen pump catheter everything has been back to normal. My wife had hip replacement surgery last week, so Brian has been on his own for the last three weeks. Since she's still recovering Brian is flying to Phoenix for Thanksgiving. I know he's looking forward to being with his 15 month old niece.
    Besides everything else Brian's job is going very well and he really likes the work. He's probably one of the most qualified people working at CMS, a Business Degree, Masters Degree in Public Health and a MD degree.

Roger