Page 81 of 117 FirstFirst ... 31717273747576777879808182838485868788899091 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

Brian and Ann fly back to Baltimore New Years day. Brian starts the Pediatric Rotation at Kennedy Krieger on Jan 2. Brian has done rehab at Kennedy Krieger several times so he familiar with the facility and staff. The first time that Brian went to Kennedy Krieger was in August 2007. This was prior to Brian even applying to the Johns Hopkins medical school. The fact that Brian is now going back to Kennedy Krieger as a medical student on a clinical rotation is a pleasant coincidence.

On January 17 Ann and I are flying to Bangkok to visit our daughter Christine. She has been working as a missionary in Thailand for the last 30 months. I'm not looking forward to the long flight but it will be nice to have Christine be our guide in Thailand.

Roger

Brian has two more weeks on the pediatric rotation. He said that it's hard for him to determine what grade he'll get for the pediatric rotation. He has always been concerned about doing well and I can't think of a single time when he hasn't done well in school.

Brian was scheduled to start the Medicine Rotation in mid March but last week his adviser emailed him that there wasn't a spot available for him to participate in the Medicine Rotation in March. He wasn't given any other explanation. This delay could be a major problem and could delay his graduation. The Medicine Rotation is a prerequisite for other rotations that he must complete before he can graduate.

My wife and I visited our daughter Christine who is working in Thailand as a missionary. She's been there for 2-1/2 year and is suppose to come home next August. We enjoyed the trip because we were able to spend time with Christine as we toured the sites in Thailand. The most enjoyable aspect of the trip was being with Christine and meeting the people that she works with. What I liked most about Thailand were the Thai people. Everyone we met was extremely courteous.

Roger

I always look for your updates, Roger, and have been rooting for Brian as he pursues his medical career. I hope this latest rotation challenge will get sorted out soon. A medical degree is demanding on its own but exponentially so when combined with SCI. He has my admiration for how far he's come and his determination to make it happen.

On Friday Brian finished working at Kennedy Krieger as part of the pediatric rotation. Monday he is scheduled to take the pediatric rotation shelf exam. That's the good news. Late Friday night Brian starting feeling badly and was throwing up. Ann called me in Phoenix and then called 911. The paramedics came and evaluated Brian and decided that it was a bad case of the flu. They recommended that Brian remain at home and drink as much fluid as possible.

On Sunday Ann called Brian's advisor and explained the situation to her. Brian's advisor said not to worry the shelf exam can be rescheduled to after Brian's is feeling better.

Starting March 11 Brian is on a two week spring break. Hopeful he'll be feeling better before then because starting March 11 he's scheduled for a week of rehab at Kennedy Krieger. During the second week two of Brian's college friends are coming to Baltimore from San Francisco to visit. Ann is going to Atlantic City for a few days with a lady from Boston she met while Brian was doing rehab at the Shepherd Center. All of these plans are now dependent on how quickly Brian recovers from the flu.

Last Tuesday I purchased a round trip ticket for April on Southwest Airlines from Phoenix to Baltimore, it cost $464. On Wednesday I checked the price of that same ticket on Southwest and was shocked to see that the ticket price had dropped from $464 to $246. I cancelled the first ticket and booked tickets for April and second ticket for May.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    On Friday Brian finished working at Kennedy Krieger as part of the pediatric rotation. Monday he is scheduled to take the pediatric rotation shelf exam. That's the good news. Late Friday night Brian starting feeling badly and was throwing up. Ann called me in Phoenix and then called 911. The paramedics came and evaluated Brian and decided that it was a bad case of the flu. They recommended that Brian remain at home and drink as much fluid as possible.

On Sunday Ann called Brian's advisor and explained the situation to her. Brian's advisor said not to worry the shelf exam can be rescheduled to after Brian's is feeling better.

Starting March 11 Brian is on a two week spring break. Hopeful he'll be feeling better before then because starting March 11 he's scheduled for a week of rehab at Kennedy Krieger. During the second week two of Brian's college friends are coming to Baltimore from San Francisco to visit. Ann is going to Atlantic City for a few days with a lady from Boston she met while Brian was doing rehab at the Shepherd Center. All of these plans are now dependent on how quickly Brian recovers from the flu.

Last Tuesday I purchased a round trip ticket for April on Southwest Airlines from Phoenix to Baltimore, it cost $464. On Wednesday I checked the price of that same ticket on Southwest and was shocked to see that the ticket price had dropped from $464 to $246. I cancelled the first ticket and booked tickets for April and second ticket for May.

Roger
    Hi Roger,
    So sorry to hear that Brian is sick with the flu. What a time for this to happen to him. Hope he feels a lot better real soon. How did you like the trip to Thailand? By the time you & your wife got there you both probably had a case of sittitus after the long long flight(s). Did you get to go to Bangkok while over there? I've never been to the orient at all. During my Air Force days I went the other way to Germany instead. Glad I went there and not Viet Nam.

RAFS

Yes, to you question did we visit Bangkok. My wife and I spent several days in Bangkok with Christine. She has been living in a poor area of Bangkok for the last year. Bangkok is a very large and crowded city with unbeliveable traffic. I would not recommend traveling to Thailand to visit Bangkok. From Bangkok we traveled to several other areas of Thailand: Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai in the north and the island of Ko Samui in the south. By far the nicest area we visted was Ko Samui. This an island in the Gulf of Thailand about 300 miles south of Bangkok. The beaches and the weather were beautifull and we really enjoyed our time with our daughter Christine.

As I've mentioned before the people we met in Thailand were extremely friendly and courteous that's what I'll remember most about visit.

Roger

The paramedics came and evaluated Brian and decided that it was a bad case of the flu. They recommended that Brian remain at home and drink as much fluid as possible.
    The flu is pretty rampant here and there are strains not covered by the flu vaccine. I visited a patient at KKI inpatient and a few days had classic flu with high fever, body ache, etc. I went into full blown pneumonia and 8 weeks later I am still trying to recover.

Encourage Brian to get lots of rest and see a doctor if he doesnt improve. I was fortunate, I had no stomach bug.

Sounds like a nice trip to Thailand. Seems like yesterday that Christine left.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Hi Cheesecake & Smashms

Brian just got back from the doctor. It wasn't the flu it was food poisoning.

On Friday at about 2:30 Brian had a roast beef sandwich at the Kennedy Krieger grill. The doctor thinks that it was mayonnaise that sat out too long. Needless to say Brian is not eating anything from a restaurant made with mayonnaise.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Hi Cheesecake & Smashms

Brian just got back from the doctor. It wasn't the flu it was food poisoning.

On Friday at about 2:30 Brian had a roast beef sandwich at the Kennedy Krieger grill. The doctor thinks that it was mayonnaise that sat out too long. Needless to say Brian is not eating anything from a restaurant made with mayonnaise.

Roger
    Yeah, I never eat a sandwich with mayo anywhere except home. I ask for sealed mayo packs.

Glad it was not the flu--generally there is not vomiting with flu. Hopefully it passes fast and he is up for rehab.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Brian is on spring break from school and is doing rehab at KKI. He finished the first week of rehab last Friday. Brian asked if he could do a second week of rehab and because there was a cancelation Brian was scheduled for a second week of rehab starting Monday.

Brian is scheduled to start the Emergency Medicine rotation the third week of April. I think that he's going to try to continue with the rehab until he starts the Emedicine rotation. Of course this depends on the scheduling at KKI it's always difficult to get into KKI for rehab.

When Brian was dropped from the Medicine Rotation other rotation scheduling problems occurred. The Medicine Rotation is a prerequsite for several of the remaining rotations that Brian needs to complete. Missing the Medicine Rotation could delay Brian's graduation a year. I'm hoping that solution can be worked out but I'm afraid that there are doctors at the hospital that don't want Brian to complete the program and they can interfere with his progress by having him dropped from this critical rotation.

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 03-18-2013 at 01:44 AM.