Page 93 of 117 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Accident to My Son

I'm just catching up on Brian. He is amazing. I don't know many ABs that could pull off what he does and we all know the incredible challenges of SCI. Whenever I feel like whining, I think of him and all he has accomplished and his future contributions to the world. You've supported him so well and it will be worth it. I continue to root for him.

Hello! My name is Meagan Boll and I am a C-5/C6 quadriplegic. I am also applying to medical school and have my first interview in a few weeks. I was hoping I could get in contact with your son and pick his brain about his medical school experience as a quadriplegic. Thank you!

Meagan

Please send your contact information in a private message. I'm sure that Brian would be happy to talk to you.

Roger

Brian has been extremely busy the last twoweeks. The Master in Public Health Program is broken up into eight weeksessions. It's the end of the eight week session so everything is finishing up. This week he has aquiz, two presentations, two finals a fifteen page paper and a meeting with the doctors at the medical school.

Last weekend Brian was so busy that he decided that he didn't have time to study forthe quiz. He decided that it didn't matter because he had the option to drop one of the quiz scores. He decided he would drop this quizscore and concentrate on other work. He took the quiz and got 100% problem solved.

Thisweek I had an interesting experience. When I was opening the front doorto our house in AZ I found a UPS envelope. Inside the envelope was aletter from American Express addressed to my wife Ann. In the AmericanExpress envelope was a receipt with seven $700 gift cards total value $4900. I called Ann in Baltimore and asked if she had purchased these AmericanExpress gift cards? She told me that she had not. Then, I calledAmerican Express and asked the representative who purchased these gift cards. The representative at American Express couldn't identify who purchasedthese gift cards so I hung up and thought that this was a happy story, I was$4900 richer.

Laterthat day my happy story had a sad ending. I called American Expressagain and asked to speak to a supervisor. After I explained the situation he told me that theGift Cards were purchased online using a VISA credit card ending in 3810. I recognized the credit card number immediately, it was my Capitol OneVISA account. The sad ending is that someonemade the fraudulent gift card purchase using our credit card account. I called Capitol One and filed a fraud report. The American Express gift cards were canceledand Capitol One is sending us a new credit card. I can only suppose that whoever made the purchase had planned on intercepting the gift cards at our house before I discovered them.

Roger

Sounds like your son is doing ok.
    On the other hand, sorry to hear your experience with the gift cards! I wonder if there's any way to catch the perpetrator in a crime like this.

My suggestions because similiar has happened to me-Change your email address and passwordl and all your other passwords. You need to change your Capitalone online password and get a special code that only you know when talking to Capitalone. Some one was having a credit card in their name sent to them on my account in another stazte. And a couple of months later set up online banking in our joing account in my name and had $3000 sent to them. all via my email and I don't do online banking. And the bank did it but pulled it back! They don't even have to talk to you... they said oh, it came from my email!
    These fraudsters as they are called possibly know your credit card information etc... name, email, password, date of birth and can hack in to your computer or email!!! And I never did online banking or used my cell phone!
    And then capital one sent a pre approval letter to my address in that persons name- twice- and said she wasn't linked to my account!
    Also. those who use facebookor others!!!... don't put the city you live in, your exact birthday, age or anything and definitely don't open up to public!!! Of course I am the my face book says I am!
    And then they won't even spend much time investigating or anything... that is why it continues!

CWO

Brian is in the last eight week session of the Master in Public Health Program. Graduation is May 19. He's gotten all A's so far in the program. I suspect that this is probably typical for most of the students in the program. The students come from all over the world to participate in this program so I suspect that everyone is a serious and excellent student. It seems like the last two weeks of each session are hectic. That's when everything piles up, final exams, class presentations and papers.

Roger

Thanks for the update, Roger. Just wanted to mention a great resource person who works in the current government administration, Judith Heumann. She's often referred to as the mother of the Independent Living movement, while Ed Roberts on the west coast is called the father. Both are Polio paralyzed and achieved high level jobs in government. Ms. Heumann is currently serving our country on international issues of disability. She's a quad and has been to countless countries. You may wish to check out her and her department on Wikipedia, Facebook, etc.
    A recent Facebook posting by her indicated job openings in the federal government. Such positions carry with them excellent accommodations if a disabled person gains employment and needs them. As you can imagine, the federal government is definitely interested in setting an example of recruiting and hiring disabled persons in their wide variety of positions. Of course, public health would be included.
    Please PM me if it appears your son is interested in contacting this resource.

Triumph

Thanks for the information I'll pass it on to Brian.

Roger

Brian graduates from the Bloomberg School of Public Health in just over two weeks on May 19. He's has submitted his research paper and only has a few more assignments to complete. One of the doctors reviewing a draft of Brian's research paper called the paper fantastic. Brian was obviously pleased about the comment.

I go to Baltimore on May 15 for the graduation ceremony. A week after graduation Brian starts the OBGYN rotation at the hospital. He has three clinical rotations to complete for his MD degree. Last year he had to postpone these clinical rotations because of a pressure sore that took six months to heal.

Roger